Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With economy in shambles, Congress gets a raise

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Not if people are allowed to vote for term limits. :)

voting to remove rights is called something else.

I am not so sure they are a good idea, but I think they should be done as a constitutional amendment.

this would involve people in power to allow their states to vote to limit their power or limit their power themselves so that's never going to happen.

Posted

the point i think is when almost everyone in the country is told this is rough times, to cut back, set priorites, expect more sacrafices. these greedy fuggers get a raise. can we lay off a % of congress to represent whats going on with the american people? id love that.

No more calls please we have a winner. :thumbsup:

Posted

We need term limits just to keep state politics clean. Eastern NC has had a lock on this state for far too long.

Posted

We need term limits just to keep state politics clean. Eastern NC has had a lock on this state for far too long.

why not just improve education so people don't vote against their own interests

Posted

why not just improve education so people don't vote against their own interests

Hey, good idea, ask the DEM party who controls this state to do just that.

And, why does it seem that dems (THE ENLIGHTENED AMONG US) votes their interests, yet the DEM PARTY never delivers, and they still get that vote? That doesn't seem very smart to me. Noboby makes more promises than the dem party. Free this, free that...VOTE FOR US!

How about we hold the vultures accountable for what we send them, and vote them out when they LIE!

If people in this country wanted true change, they've vote the incumbent out every election cycle. It would take 12 years for the morons to get the message, but they would.

Posted

Hey, good idea, ask the DEM party who controls this state to do just that.

education reform is much more effective at the local level.

North Carolina has actually been heralded across the country for its school reform. It takes time for that to trickle upwards and show up in the polls, but it has begun to with the national election being an obvious example.

However, improving education means more than new computers in classrooms. It means effective campaigning that inform people that in many republican strongholds things like transportation infrastructure, healthcare, and public services are being cut in order to foster a "business friendly environment," which never really help the majority of people that vote for it. This is achieved through meaningless wedge issues like abortion, gay rights, and gun control and blatant racism disguised as "welfare reform."

Posted

I think the DEMS have the stronghold on on all of the above except gun control.

The wedge issues are as much teasers for the media as much as reality.

But there is a capitulation effect that is the opposite of those wedges. Voting straight ticket is that.

I mentioned right after the election how a co worker said he voted for Perdue because it was time to get the Republicans out and get in fresh blood.

I go you do know that the CURRENT Gov is a Dem? Total dead silence from him.

Oh and he has a college degree.

Remove the straight ticket and you force people to do the unthinkable, which is, well...to THINK.

Do some homework on the actual issues. Wow. How about that. Logic over emotion to determine the course of your county,state and country for the next 4 years.

Posted

to be fair to your friend i'm not sure you could call Easley anything but incompetent. the friend was probably just confused and assumed he was a republican.

also pstall kindly tell me how dems in the south east and parts of the midwest, the places i was implicitly referring to, have strongholds on abortion, gay rights, and racism.

or hell, even in california!

Posted

Ahh here we go. Spite debate time. Lots will be accomplished.

I guess we need to define stronghold so we can frame this.

Is it a stronghold but advancing one or the other or keeping at the fore?

Or is it NOT advancing it? But those last items you framed as wedge issues.

And my caveat to that was those wedge issues are owned as much by the Dems as they are Pubs.

But I think those wedge issues are overrated except for racism. But don't think for a min that the Dems haven't manipulated and patronized voters in those areas to gain votes.

But lets stay on point at home. NC. Transportation. Lyndo Tippett. Been at the helm for 7 years now. Prior to that he was the Chairman of Trans for 8yrs. 15 yrs sounds like a stronghold to me. It will show he is non affiliated but sure.

So that is one clear cut example of stronghold if that is the definition here.

But lets be serious, this is like saying which cigarette is better for you. Lights or regulars.

Posted

But don't think for a min that the Dems haven't manipulated and patronized voters in those areas to gain votes.

Bite yer tongue....there's nothing dishonorable about the democrats.

Posted

Bite yer tongue....there's nothing dishonorable about the democrats.

i haven't said a good or bad thing about democrats

and pstall i live in atlanta, not charlotte, so I'm not really informed enough to have a substantive debate on transportation in north carolina. however, since you seem determined to take a consequentialist viewpoint on everything, there's no real point.

however, real quick, as far as defining a stronghold, I think that in regards to the rest of the civilized western world, you'd be pretty insane to argue that from a social standpoint, the republican agenda goes out of it's way to repress movements and ideas that would be considered normal everywhere else. the idea that arguing over birth control sold in wal mart or gun control could become an actual issue is almost ludicrous everywhere except like finland, especially since it takes attention away from what I think most of us would consider more important issues like health care, education, and welfare.

i don't really operate from an american only mindset which is why myself and probably delhommey are kinda alone in this forum. i guess that's kind of the drawback of having traveled a lot more than most people my age, or even most people at all. it's a blessing/curse.

Posted

Let me get my squige to remove the pretention and condescendtion from this thread.

So we go from NC, to the midwest to the western world to Finland?

What are you Jack Kerouacaclaus?

From your Matt Lauer point of view yeah it seems trite and diminishing returns when those cretins say and do what they do for birth control and gun control.

Getting a world view is good. I applaud you. In fact as I type I cower thinking how I could be superflous in my naitivete.

If you are to use Europe as a barometer for progess sit down and have some coffee or at least a bong hit with a muslim here and say one from Nice, or Lyon or London.

Ask them about the well informed, culturally advanced, high minded Euros how they intermingle so effectively with muslims. And they just loathe that chance encounter in a Wal Mart. How paleolithic.

But we do find common ground(hmm, ironic, we share the same terra firma) on health care, education and welfare.

Perhaps you can broaden my bicameral muscle on the above topics and we can dig much further.

I promise not to use cinema verite type malapropisms to bungle up the bandwith.

Other than that, I feel ya dawg. Merry Christmas