#31 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

I think the DEMS have the stronghold on on all of the above except gun control.

The wedge issues are as much teasers for the media as much as reality.
But there is a capitulation effect that is the opposite of those wedges. Voting straight ticket is that.
I mentioned right after the election how a co worker said he voted for Perdue because it was time to get the Republicans out and get in fresh blood.
I go you do know that the CURRENT Gov is a Dem? Total dead silence from him.
Oh and he has a college degree.

Remove the straight ticket and you force people to do the unthinkable, which is, well...to THINK.
Do some homework on the actual issues. Wow. How about that. Logic over emotion to determine the course of your county,state and country for the next 4 years.

#32 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

to be fair to your friend i'm not sure you could call Easley anything but incompetent. the friend was probably just confused and assumed he was a republican.

also pstall kindly tell me how dems in the south east and parts of the midwest, the places i was implicitly referring to, have strongholds on abortion, gay rights, and racism.

or hell, even in california!

#33 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

Ahh here we go. Spite debate time. Lots will be accomplished.

I guess we need to define stronghold so we can frame this.
Is it a stronghold but advancing one or the other or keeping at the fore?
Or is it NOT advancing it? But those last items you framed as wedge issues.
And my caveat to that was those wedge issues are owned as much by the Dems as they are Pubs.
But I think those wedge issues are overrated except for racism. But don't think for a min that the Dems haven't manipulated and patronized voters in those areas to gain votes.

But lets stay on point at home. NC. Transportation. Lyndo Tippett. Been at the helm for 7 years now. Prior to that he was the Chairman of Trans for 8yrs. 15 yrs sounds like a stronghold to me. It will show he is non affiliated but sure.

So that is one clear cut example of stronghold if that is the definition here.
But lets be serious, this is like saying which cigarette is better for you. Lights or regulars.

#34 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

But don't think for a min that the Dems haven't manipulated and patronized voters in those areas to gain votes.

Bite yer tongue....there's nothing dishonorable about the democrats.

#35 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

Bite yer tongue....there's nothing dishonorable about the democrats.

i haven't said a good or bad thing about democrats

and pstall i live in atlanta, not charlotte, so I'm not really informed enough to have a substantive debate on transportation in north carolina. however, since you seem determined to take a consequentialist viewpoint on everything, there's no real point.

however, real quick, as far as defining a stronghold, I think that in regards to the rest of the civilized western world, you'd be pretty insane to argue that from a social standpoint, the republican agenda goes out of it's way to repress movements and ideas that would be considered normal everywhere else. the idea that arguing over birth control sold in wal mart or gun control could become an actual issue is almost ludicrous everywhere except like finland, especially since it takes attention away from what I think most of us would consider more important issues like health care, education, and welfare.

i don't really operate from an american only mindset which is why myself and probably delhommey are kinda alone in this forum. i guess that's kind of the drawback of having traveled a lot more than most people my age, or even most people at all. it's a blessing/curse.

#36 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:37 PM

Let me get my squige to remove the pretention and condescendtion from this thread.
So we go from NC, to the midwest to the western world to Finland?
What are you Jack Kerouacaclaus?

From your Matt Lauer point of view yeah it seems trite and diminishing returns when those cretins say and do what they do for birth control and gun control.

Getting a world view is good. I applaud you. In fact as I type I cower thinking how I could be superflous in my naitivete.
If you are to use Europe as a barometer for progess sit down and have some coffee or at least a bong hit with a muslim here and say one from Nice, or Lyon or London.
Ask them about the well informed, culturally advanced, high minded Euros how they intermingle so effectively with muslims. And they just loathe that chance encounter in a Wal Mart. How paleolithic.

But we do find common ground(hmm, ironic, we share the same terra firma) on health care, education and welfare.

Perhaps you can broaden my bicameral muscle on the above topics and we can dig much further.
I promise not to use cinema verite type malapropisms to bungle up the bandwith.

Other than that, I feel ya dawg. Merry Christmas

#37 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

Ask them about the well informed, culturally advanced, high minded Euros how they intermingle so effectively with muslims. And they just loathe that chance encounter in a Wal Mart. How paleolithic.

holy poo there are racists in europe you're breaking new ground here pstall

and while yes there are some extremely christian places that hate muslims because they're muslim (I'm looking at you poland you worthless collaborators) did you ever stop to think while painting the entire continent of europe with the same colored brush that there are other differences to why immigrants are disliked besides their preference for the koran? there are many, and are the primary reason there's animosity towards them in places like GB, Finland, and France has less to do with their religion and more to do with a whole litany of issues like geography, education levels, and a "thinning out" of the culture. Southern baptists don't hate hispanic immigrants because they're catholic, for example.

in the respect that there is an uneducated, racist, and backwater segment of society that is easily stirred up by politicians with an agenda is fairly universal in any country. however, you'd be out of your mind to argue that an immigrant, muslim or catholic, would have an easier time getting healthcare, education, and gainful employment in the united states than in Europe.

#38 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

When the # of immigrants coming to the US is 10-1 compared to other countries and they are going to an already crowded system it would be difficult to get easy healthcare, education and employment.
Also consider how low unemployment has been in the US counter to our smarter Euro cousins.
When was the last time there was a riot by farmers or truckers in the US? France? Ok.

Why then does the US STILL lead the world in immigration if healthcare, education and work is so lacking?
And look at the # that come here from a homegenized society. Wouldn't their chances of getting that trio of rights/privleges be easier at home?
Why is that?
Here is some good Christmas reading for you. http://yaleglobal.ya...article?id=9779
Notice code words like cultural integrity or national identity integration or national security.
Meaning, Europe is not as Anglo as it wants to be.
In fact populations are decling. So now come countries, from the advanced Euro are thinking about this.

Job security, maternity and paternity leave, childcare, after-school programs, cash grants and allowances, priority housing, flexible work schedules and part-time employment are incentives already adopted or seriously considered by governments.

All so couples will have MORE babies. Now there may be national pride on the line here but I don't want to go Freakonomics on ya but I'm willing to bet having kids is low on the totem pole because its hard out here for an Anglo in the New yet aging Europe.

America still blows away the other countries in immigration year after year after year.
And it ain't because we have Access Hollywood or UFC.

Now I need to get back to playing Santa for my kids. My wife will take a few more gifts to her students who ALL are from another country.
The wives are getting to learn English for FREE while their husbands work. Oddly enough. The topic of conversation isn't about thier rights but how they can keep paying for thier Escalades and start MORE businesses.
All the students I have talked to have great teeth as well.
I know I know. There are many who came here and are struggling. I see and know many.
But they ain't going to Europe or Scandinavia.
And they all don't come from Mexico or Central and South America.
But you know this stuff.
cheers

#39 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:36 AM

i haven't said a good or bad thing about democrats

My comment wasn't to you or anyone in particular....just a comment on the political leanings of the board. Democrats are almost never criticized and Republicans are almost never praised....that's all.

#40 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:55 AM

Stumbled upon this blog related to this last few posts.
I like #5 and 8. He lays out some clear views on this.

http://ron_larson.bl...nts-europe.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.