Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nails

Mecklenburg County BOC approves new MLS Stadium/CCC Fugs it up/1/30-bid still ON despite CCC

12 minutes ago, KittyLover said:

This was way too rushed. How can you make an informed decision on such a large economic commitment and burden on tax payers in such a short period of time. Have there been studies on traffic and all that good stuff. As a tax payer I'm concerned. I'm not against it but due diligence is a must for me and my tax money. 

Blah blah blah.  MLS has a deadline, January 31.  That's it.  2-4 teams will be named because there will be at least 4 of the 10 cities with the sense and backing to get it done, rushed or not.  CLT had the backing (Smith), but not the sense.

57 minutes ago, Lemory said:

Does Charlotte really need a MLS team? Would it even be supported? 

There are quite a few.. uh.. soccer oriented people in Charlotte. One of the largest demographics here, actually. 

1 minute ago, Casto said:

There are quite a few.. uh.. soccer oriented people in Charlotte. One of the largest demographics here, actually. 

With 15 million people in the Carolinas, there's zero reason, in 2017, that the Carolinas aren't represented in all 4 major sports, and MLS.

I'm all for this. It's buying in at a time when it's not the most popular, but will be in another decade. The buy-in for Charlotte now will be waaaaay less than it will be in the future, and there will be a backing. It's not like you're trying to fill a 40 or 50,000 seat stadium. 

My biggest question is how hot it's going to be in the stands in the summer months. Near 100-degree days, only cool off to 80+ at night with a serious amount of humidity.  That would be my biggest fear. Then again, there are teams in Houston, Orlando, DC and Atlanta, so I guess it works. 

MLS > MiLB and we put up the dough for a new stadium, so can't complain on this. I wonder if the Hounds will play at the new MLS stadium or if they move elsewhere.  Seems like there's going to be bad blood between Bruton's firm and the Independce/Hounds owner.

It would be stupid not to bring MLB and MLS. I still don't understand why these politicians have there heads up there ass.

1 minute ago, OldNorthPowell said:

Feel like Raleigh would support a MLS team better.

I think Charlotte would have been better but it's Raleigh's turn now.

Yeah, I've always wondered why the Carolinas don't have a MLB team. The Knights have been around for years with decent success, I believe , so I would think a MLB team here would do fairly well. I mean hell, we have a NHL hockey team of all things so why not a baseball team.

I'd prefer not to have my taxes jump up for this, especially when they couldn't find the money to fund the fuging schools in the area but a big ass stadium for a soccer team is alright.

Just now, Nails said:

I think Charlotte would have been better but it's Raleigh's turn now.

Raleigh tends to support Soccer and Hockey more but I could be wrong. I do not live in either city. Plus NCFC is already making a push to bring a team to Raleigh and MLS seems interested.

Just now, OldNorthPowell said:

Raleigh tends to support Soccer and Hockey more but I could be wrong. I do not live in either city. Plus NCFC is already making a push to bring a team to Raleigh and MLS seems interested.

As well they should be.  The Carolinas are a gold mine.

Just now, Nails said:

As well they should be.  The Carolinas are a gold mine.

We do have some of the best college soccer programs.