ARSEN

Alien: Covenant

KSpan    6,593
1 hour ago, The Onion Knight said:

I thought the first third was pretty good, and I thought it was building up nicely but for some reason that I can't really explain I really did not like the last 2/3's. It's like the abandoned the feeling of the first third and just started throwing poo at the wall. It wasn't really bad, but it had no tone or atmosphere to it. I think it could have been a really good movie if they would have made it a slow paced horror movie.

I'll agree there. They left a lot on the table, particularly for the third act, and I imagine a lot of quality footage ended up on the cutting room floor. I think another 30 minutes or more could easily have been added to the second and third acts without making the movie feel long.

Jangler    1,145
On 5/24/2017 at 1:56 PM, Shocker said:

My personal opinion is that the Alien movies get worse with every release.  Alien was a masterpiece, Aliens was great, and down you go with each release.  

Aliens was a fine follow up for the times. action and killing, and women power!! woot  Now old men, like Ridley Scott need to add a religious aspect to the story. Instead of following the original storyline. The aliens are a virus, nothing more.

Remember, AIDS didn't even have a 'name' at the time. 1978

Shocker    759
2 hours ago, Jangler said:

Aliens was a fine follow up for the times. action and killing, and women power!! woot  Now old men, like Ridley Scott need to add a religious aspect to the story. Instead of following the original storyline. The aliens are a virus, nothing more.

Remember, AIDS didn't even have a 'name' at the time. 1978

Yeah I hear you, certainly expected much more from Covenant but I think you nailed it there, he's trying too hard atp.

Shocker    759

Mind changed completely...damn hate to do a 180 but I've gone back and watched Promethius a few more times to understand whats going on here.  Also watched Covenent a few more times.  These 2 movies are masterpieces to be honest.  Basically the "Alien" part of these movies is a very small piece of what is being explained.  Studing it a little and realizing what and why of the plot is fasinating stuff.  I'm hooked and hope there is another one coming very soon.  There are complete blogs and research topics on the plot of these movies so to much to go into it but amazing movies.  

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

The Lobo    2,332
11 hours ago, Shocker said:

Mind changed completely...damn hate to do a 180 but I've gone back and watched Promethius a few more times to understand whats going on here.  Also watched Covenent a few more times.  These 2 movies are masterpieces to be honest.  Basically the "Alien" part of these movies is a very small piece of what is being explained.  Studing it a little and realizing what and why of the plot is fasinating stuff.  I'm hooked and hope there is another one coming very soon.  There are complete blogs and research topics on the plot of these movies so to much to go into it but amazing movies.  

Pretty much. Welcome to the club haha. A couple pages back I posted a video with theories on Prometheus, you should check it out.

Shocker    759
4 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Pretty much. Welcome to the club haha. A couple pages back I posted a video with theories on Prometheus, you should check it out.

Cool, will do.  Loved Prometheus and must agree Covanent is not quite as strong but still liked it.  Didnt see the explainations going where Alien Cov took them (and didnt really like them) but still thought provoking sci fi.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

KSpan    6,593

I liked Covenant and have a greater appreciation for Prometheus after seeing it but still think that Prometheus was contrived in its attempt to be thought-provoking, plus the whole Weyland bit was one of the least-impactful 'twists' I've ever seen in a movie. There was zero resolution in Prometheus, and by this I felt like viewers were left with not only the bigger questions about the franchise but some very basic plot points were left unresolved (and remain unresolved after Covenant).

That said, I did enjoy Covenant and am interested in seeing where it all goes. I hope that whatever comes next does somehow get more into the Engineers. Also looking forward to the Covenant home release that is said to include an additional 20 minutes or so of footage.

Shocker    759
On 7/10/2017 at 0:08 PM, KSpan said:

I liked Covenant and have a greater appreciation for Prometheus after seeing it but still think that Prometheus was contrived in its attempt to be thought-provoking, plus the whole Weyland bit was one of the least-impactful 'twists' I've ever seen in a movie. There was zero resolution in Prometheus, and by this I felt like viewers were left with not only the bigger questions about the franchise but some very basic plot points were left unresolved (and remain unresolved after Covenant).

That said, I did enjoy Covenant and am interested in seeing where it all goes. I hope that whatever comes next does somehow get more into the Engineers. Also looking forward to the Covenant home release that is said to include an additional 20 minutes or so of footage.

SPOILERS...don't read if you care

Agree...what bothered me so much with Cov was how David is suddenly the creator of the Xenomorphs through his experiments and that he wiped out the Engineers.  I may have this wrong...and another movie might explain things but damn...there was a totally more interesting thread I expected.  This post is long enough...but I thought that humans were introduced because the Engineers need humans (explaining the face hugger being adapt to human biology) to create the real "Alien" xenomorphs to fight some yet unknown enemy (yeah, I thought maybe in a silly twist the Predators) that they could not defeat.  Anyway...Cov seemed rushed to a conclusion that disappointed.  The chart below is the theory...minus Cov conclusions...the vase looking thing is the black goo...

Prometheus-chart.jpg

Lastly, a friend asked a valid question...why did the Engineers want to destroy humans so desperately.  Basically, experiment gone wrong.  The Xenomorphs were much more dangerous to them even more than the "unknown" species.  If Cov is to be believed the most dangerous species was human who created David.  I know this is getting tedious plot wise.

Pretty crazy stuff, and really Prometheus is amazing but I'm not sure the real story in the film scripts will live up to this "theory"

Edited by Shocker

Jangler    1,145
12 hours ago, Shocker said:

I know this is getting tedious plot wise.

you said it...

I saw Alien in theater. ( yeah, I'm that old) the whole storyline is bullshite. I'm surprised Tim Burton is not involved.

KSpan    6,593

Bought the special edition Blu Ray yesterday and re-watched it last night... still feel the same way, a 6.5-7/10 with it's share of weaknesses. The start is slow and the end is rushed and too much a copy of Alien but I really enjoyed the second act. Still no real idea where Scott is going with things (he doesn't seem to either) but I hope he gets to close the loop with another film. After that though all bets are off.

Shocker    759
On 7/15/2017 at 8:00 AM, Jangler said:

you said it...

I saw Alien in theater. ( yeah, I'm that old) the whole storyline is bullshite. I'm surprised Tim Burton is not involved.

I saw Alien as a kid in the theater as well and it scared me shetless.  I had no idea what I was in for but it was completely amazing.  For me its the best sci fi and or horror movie ever made.  Even better than The Thing which is damn near perfection.

Edited by Shocker