Byrdman4real

Carolina Panthers work out East Carolina's Zay Jones and working out Ross

114 posts in this topic

http://car.247sports.com/Bolt/Carolina-Panthers-work-out-East-Carolinas-Zay-Jones-51832352

Jones worked out for the Carolina Panthers and new receivers coach Lance Taylor at ECU earlier this week. Multiple NFL receiver coaches are expected to be in attendance for Jones at ECU's Pro Day on March 23, and he will continue to work out for teams leading up to the start of the draft on April 27.

"The Panthers are showing great interest," Jones said Friday. "I had the opportunity to work out for them and hopefully hear good things from them. But other than that, I'm just going to keep doing what I do best, go out here on this Pro Day, perform well, and we'll see where it goes from there."

Jones would theoretically fill a major need for Carolina, which is looking to add a receiver to play the slot between tall receivers Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess. Jones, 6-2, has the capability to play both inside and outside receiver. He primarily played the slot before switching to outside receiver as a senior under the direction of ECU head coach Scottie Montgomery and then-receivers coach Phil McGeoghan, who's now with the Buffalo Bills. Jones caught an FBS record 158 passes as a result.

Carolina has two picks in the second round, including at No. 40 overall. The Bills are slated to pick at 41st. Jones is expected to be picked in the late-first to early-second round. 

The Panthers are also scheduled to meet with Washington wide receiver John Ross and have been linked to Clemson's Artavis Scott, who would likely be available later in the draft after Jones. Ross is a projected first-round pick.

5 people like this

fugkkkkk yesssss 

4 people like this

I'll take him at 40

2 people like this

Just glad to see that we're potentially looking at WRs earlier rather than later. The WR corp needs an upgrade. Can't just keep waiting and hoping for Funchess to come around.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

Man I totally hope Ross works out if we take him.  I pray his glass body doesn't get hit.  With Zay it won't be too big for him but not real fast.  Great hands.  I like him. 

Edited by Shocker

Id be fine with him at 40, would prefer others, but certainly could do worse

Was hoping for him at #64, but that's not gonna happen anymore. Damn combine.

No really a fan of another big receiver that struggles to get separation. he has great hands but his lack of burst and duplication of skills we already have is a no go for me.  

I want to draft him at 8 just too see this place implode

1 person likes this