UpstatePanther

Question about our pre-draft workouts

24 posts in this topic

I probably just haven't paid enough attention to know this answer, but I'm curious. Is there any correlation between which players the Panthers meet with and work out and who they eventually end up drafting? I know each team is only allowed a certain number of personal workouts with draftees, so it has me curious if we can actually read into who the Panthers are choosing to work out.

1 person likes this

Well. Vern visited. I know that we sent Washington out to spend some time with Star. And we were the only team to bring in Bradberry for a visit

1 person likes this

Sometimes, we draft players we've never visited before or shown good interest, and some visits are to confuse other teams and GMs.

Igo said we would've surely picked Hunter Henry had Vernon Butler not been available, so I think some of these visits should be false flags.

I think we had people working out TJ Watt recently, and he could easily be a darkhorse DE prospect. 

3 people like this

You only get 30 pre-draft visits. I hope we're not dumb enough to piss away visits solely for the purposes of a smokescreen. There should be at least some level of interest there.

2 people like this

Pretty sure we have worked out every player we have drafted in the first since Gettleman got here. 

2 people like this

I don't think it's beneficial to simply have a visit as a smokescreen.  

However, it doesn't always mean we're sold on the guy.   We may be on the fence and want to have questions answered about the prospect, may want to see a raw talent in person, get a better look at smaller school prospects, there's a lot of reasons for a visit.   A visit shows interest but doesn't clarify draft intent.  

5 people like this

Pretty sure we have worked out every player we have drafted in the first since Gettleman got here. 

Pretty sure that's not true.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Posted (edited)

I don't buy in to the confusion visit theory. I believe it is all done for actual productive research. 

Edited by csx
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

Im reading work outs are forbidden. It's only interviews, written tests and physicals when they are brought in to visit.

Not trying to argue but just read that and wanted to clarify what occurs during visits.

So is there an at neutral location workout and then press draft at team interview visit? If so I think it would be interesting to know who and which occur.

Edit: http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam

Edited by csx

Sucks that workouts are forbidden but I can understand why. It'd be horrible if a prospect got hurt while working out for a team.

But, honestly after the combine and pro day plus game film you've probably got all the info you need in regards to a prospect's physical talents.

Additional interviews are probably more beneficial at that point than additional workouts. Definitely understandable why you'd bring in a guy with questionable injury history given the ability to administer a physical.