Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UpstatePanther

Question about our pre-draft workouts

MHS831    4,696

We talked to this Canadian at the EW game---a very good blocker with some receiving skills.  I like him.

LinvilleGorge    13,658
6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We talked to this Canadian at the EW game---a very good blocker with some receiving skills.  I like him.

I must confess that I'm have a bit of trouble getting over the fact that David Foucault was the #5 overall pick in the CFL draft. Certainly makes me question the fug out of the Canadian talent.

MHS831    4,696
3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I must confess that I'm have a bit of trouble getting over the fact that David Foucault was the #5 overall pick in the CFL draft. Certainly makes me question the fug out of the Canadian talent.

I agree. However, 6-6 and I think he runs about a 4.8.  Undrafted free agents are often found in these meetings/workouts too.  I would never draft this guy.   The players in the video were American players, but EW all-stars rarely get drafted early.

CPF4LIFE    3,726

We have had private workouts with all the players we have drafted high under gettleman. I dont expect this to be any different.

• Pie 1

top dawg    8,578
On 3/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, stbugs said:

Pretty sure that's not true.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

We may not have technically worked them out, but we have met with---in one way or another---every first round draft pick since G-man has been here! 

• Pie 2

stbugs    2,373
8 hours ago, top dawg said:

We may not have technically worked them out, but we have met with---in one way or another---every first round draft pick since G-man has been here! 

Right, but those guys said every draft pick. Also, we always have coaches helping with events/scouting events so they "visit" with just about every draft pick. So does pretty much every other team. I just know that based on official visits, there are plenty of guys we've drafted that weren't on our lists or plenty of guys who were on our lists who we didn't. If you look at our visits, we tend to have the consensus guys around our pick, like Ogbah, Coleman, Henry, Boyd, Bell, Cravens, Ifedi, Lawson, Dodd, Spence, Shepard, Reed and Treadwell last year. Butler was one of many guys around that pick.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

You only get 30 pre-draft visits. I hope we're not dumb enough to piss away visits solely for the purposes of a smokescreen. There should be at least some level of interest there.

Agreed but it could only be to confirm a concern by a coach.  Bring them in could actually remove them from our Draft Board.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Right, but those guys said every draft pick. Also, we always have coaches helping with events/scouting events so they "visit" with just about every draft pick. So does pretty much every other team. I just know that based on official visits, there are plenty of guys we've drafted that weren't on our lists or plenty of guys who were on our lists who we didn't. If you look at our visits, we tend to have the consensus guys around our pick, like Ogbah, Coleman, Henry, Boyd, Bell, Cravens, Ifedi, Lawson, Dodd, Spence, Shepard, Reed and Treadwell last year. Butler was one of many guys around that pick.

No, what I said was "Pretty sure we have worked out every player we have drafted in the first since Gettleman got here."

At no point did I say every draft pick.  Check your comprehension. 

stbugs    2,373
1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

No, what I said was "Pretty sure we have worked out every player we have drafted in the first since Gettleman got here."

At no point did I say every draft pick.  Check your comprehension. 

You are right, I was just replying to you after reading the thread. There were others saying multiple rounds. That said, as I posted above, saying that we met with all of our 1st round picks doesn't really matter. We've visited with a bunch of guys who were supposed to be around the late 1st/early 2nd, so Butler was likely going to be among them even if we didn't pick him. We also met with Lawson (19), Dodd (33), Ogbah (32), Spence (39), A'Shawn Robinson (46), Jarran Reed (49), Mackenzie Alexander (54), Boyd (55), Treadwell (23), Coleman (15), Bell (61), Cravens (53), Ifedi (31), Shepard (40) and Derrick Henry (45). We visited with 16 guys, including Butler, all of whom were mocked in that late 1st/early 2nd range and all of who went from 15-61 including 3 guys drafted right after.

You guys are right that we visit with our 1st round picks, but that seems meaningless in terms of trying to figure out who we will pick when we also had official visits with 15 other guys who were right around that area as well. Even if OJ Howard isn't on our official visit list, it's clear from the Senior Bowl that we were impressed. Since the pick is so high this year, it will be interesting to see if we meet with as many early 1st round prospects. Our list of options isn't the same as last year at 30.

top dawg    8,578
4 hours ago, stbugs said:

I think you're trying to split hairs. The fact is that drafting players you've met with is likely somewhat unique to Dave Gettleman, as I've seen about three different sites mention this as a characteristic under his era. Every GM doesn't do that. 

If you want some clues as to who we will draft, this is something that I read last year. It talks about Gettleman's draft history.

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/21/the-7-draft-strategies-of-panthers-general-manager-dave-gettleman/

stbugs    2,373
1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I think you're trying to split hairs. The fact is that drafting players you've met with is likely somewhat unique to Dave Gettleman, as I've seen about three different sites mention this as a characteristic under his era. Every GM doesn't do that. 

If you want some clues as to who we will draft, this is something that I read last year. It talks about Gettleman's draft history.

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/21/the-7-draft-strategies-of-panthers-general-manager-dave-gettleman/

Something tells me the good GMs do meet with the players and the bad ones don't. It's not rocket science. The Texans signed Osweiler without anyone talking to him. Obviously, a bad choice.

I'm not trying to split hairs. People implying that Butler was chosen last year and that it was obvious didn't look at our official visits. Half of our visits were for pick 30 and I sure don't remember Butler being mocked to us more than Ifedi, D. Henry and Ogbah (all of whom we had in for visits). I like that DG brings in people for visits and that our coaches spend a lot of time at the bowl games and other events. That's just smart.

Anyway, no need to discuss further.