UpstatePanther

Question about our pre-draft workouts

24 posts in this topic

I wonder if there's a maximum number of visits that an individual prospect can be subjected to and if so, how is it determined who gets those visits? I would assume that it'd be determined by draft order, but I don't know. It seems there would be a max number as theoretically a guy could be requested to do a possible 32 individual team visits. That would suck. Then again, a prospect can always just say no if he doesn't want to do it.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sucks that workouts are forbidden but I can understand why. It'd be horrible if a prospect got hurt while working out for a team.

But, honestly after the combine and pro day plus game film you've probably got all the info you need in regards to a prospect's physical talents.

Additional interviews are probably more beneficial at that point than additional workouts. Definitely understandable why you'd bring in a guy with questionable injury history given the ability to administer a physical.

I jumped the gun. Workouts are forbidden during official 30 visits but they seemingly can be worked out on site but it's for multiple teams. Not sure if this IS pro day or like pro day plus.

The Walter football link has a lot of granularity for prospect contacts but haven't looked at it in detail yet. We have had no official 30 yet according to the link

Edited by csx

We talked to this Canadian at the EW game---a very good blocker with some receiving skills.  I like him.

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We talked to this Canadian at the EW game---a very good blocker with some receiving skills.  I like him.

I must confess that I'm have a bit of trouble getting over the fact that David Foucault was the #5 overall pick in the CFL draft. Certainly makes me question the fug out of the Canadian talent.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I must confess that I'm have a bit of trouble getting over the fact that David Foucault was the #5 overall pick in the CFL draft. Certainly makes me question the fug out of the Canadian talent.

I agree. However, 6-6 and I think he runs about a 4.8.  Undrafted free agents are often found in these meetings/workouts too.  I would never draft this guy.   The players in the video were American players, but EW all-stars rarely get drafted early.

Yes. Everyone we have selected in the first three round we have worked out or visited with.

1 person likes this

We have had private workouts with all the players we have drafted high under gettleman. I dont expect this to be any different.

1 person likes this

On 3/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, stbugs said:

Pretty sure that's not true.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

We may not have technically worked them out, but we have met with---in one way or another---every first round draft pick since G-man has been here! 

2 people like this

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

We may not have technically worked them out, but we have met with---in one way or another---every first round draft pick since G-man has been here! 

Right, but those guys said every draft pick. Also, we always have coaches helping with events/scouting events so they "visit" with just about every draft pick. So does pretty much every other team. I just know that based on official visits, there are plenty of guys we've drafted that weren't on our lists or plenty of guys who were on our lists who we didn't. If you look at our visits, we tend to have the consensus guys around our pick, like Ogbah, Coleman, Henry, Boyd, Bell, Cravens, Ifedi, Lawson, Dodd, Spence, Shepard, Reed and Treadwell last year. Butler was one of many guys around that pick.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

You only get 30 pre-draft visits. I hope we're not dumb enough to piss away visits solely for the purposes of a smokescreen. There should be at least some level of interest there.

Agreed but it could only be to confirm a concern by a coach.  Bring them in could actually remove them from our Draft Board.