rodeo

Well they had a permit though

ImaginaryKev    646

Like, I'm not minimizing her death at all but this is a news station, not members of the community seeking justice. What happened to the "we don't know all the facts...she's no angel....the officer feared for his life....she had drugs in her system...she should've just complied" narratives we always hear when people excuse black people being shot by cops? And apparently the fact that the cop was a Somali American is an issue? Not his training? I don't know, y'all. Looks like racism to me. 

• Pie 2

ImaginaryKev    646

Black people in America are gonna let out a collective sigh and "Figures" when it turns out that the only way a police officer is actually held accountable for breaking protocol and killing someone is when he's a Somali immigrant who shoots a white woman. 

• Pie 1

ImaginaryKev    646

And instead of using this death to interrogate the police Dept in the Twin Cities, people are just using this to bash Somalian immigrants. Humans are so stupid. 

NanuqoftheNorth    7,918
1 hour ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Like, I'm not minimizing her death at all but this is a news station, not members of the community seeking justice. What happened to the "we don't know all the facts...she's no angel....the officer feared for his life....she had drugs in her system...she should've just complied" narratives we always hear when people excuse black people being shot by cops? And apparently the fact that the cop was a Somali American is an issue? Not his training? I don't know, y'all. Looks like racism to me. 

You likely haven't seen those negative reports because this woman was simply being a concerned samaritan calling 911 about a possible assault in the alley next to her home.

She came out to meet the police in her pajamas and was shot by an officer in the passenger seat through the driver's window.  The officer in question has multiple complaints pending against him after less than two years on the force, yet he was permitted to remain on the streets.

It is no longer hyperbole to say LEOs are shooting first and asking questions later.

This is a national problem that crosses racial barriers and is only getting worse as police move further and further away from the attitude of "To Protect and Serve" and closer to behaving like a domestic/occupying military force.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

According to police, white 28-year-old Maryland man James Harris Jackson took a Bolt bus up to New York City Friday for the express purposes of killing black men and did just that, stabbing 66-year-old Timothy Caughman in Hell’s Kitchen Monday night. Police say the suspect, an ex-military member of a white supremacist hate group, asked police to arrest him, warning he would attack again if they didn’t.

Reading media reports of the incident, however, one would hardly know which of the two men was the cold-blooded killer and which was the victim. The New York Daily News (3/22/17)—which has a history of smearing black suspects simply on the say-so of the NYPD (FAIR.org, 5/2/16)—felt the need to mention the black victim’s prior, wholly irrelevant police record (emphasis added):

Coughman lived in transitional housing on West 36th Street that serves people with HIV/AIDS. Praxis Housing Initiatives holds a contract with the city. He has 11 prior arrests, including for marijuana, assault, resisting arrest and menacing.

http://fair.org/home/black-man-stabbed-to-death-by-white-supremacist-then-smeared-by-media/

ImaginaryKev    646
1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

You likely haven't seen those negative reports because this woman was simply being a concerned samaritan calling 911 about a possible assault in the alley next to her home.

She came out to meet the police in her pajamas and was shot by an officer in the passenger seat through the driver's window.  The officer in question has multiple complaints pending against him after less than two years on the force, yet he was permitted to remain on the streets.

It is no longer hyperbole to say LEOs are shooting first and asking questions later.

This is a national problem that crosses racial barriers and is only getting worse as police move further and further away from the attitude of "To Protect and Serve" and closer to behaving like a domestic/occupying military force.

Oh, I know those reports haven't been made about her, people actually seem to legitimately want to humanize her first and foremost, a luxury not afforded to black victims of police brutality, and I was being a bit facetious in that regard. I'm deeply troubled by militarized police (look no further than the way the mentally I'll are handled by LEOs) as well as the way the alleged victim, the officers involved, and that community's Somali population are being portrayed right now because it all sounds like multiple cases of fugshit converging in one fugged up situation and it's....a bummer? I don't know how else to describe it, it's messed up. 

• Pie 3

NanuqoftheNorth    7,918
9 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Oh, I know those reports haven't been made about her, people actually seem to legitimately want to humanize her first and foremost, a luxury not afforded to black victims of police brutality, and I was being a bit facetious in that regard. I'm deeply troubled by militarized police (look no further than the way the mentally I'll are handled by LEOs) as well as the way the alleged victim, the officers involved, and that community's Somali population are being portrayed right now because it all sounds like multiple cases of fugshit converging in one fugged up situation and it's....a bummer? I don't know how else to describe it, it's messed up. 

Here is where we are at IMHO.

For the longest time minorities and poor people have borne the brunt of police officers and departments that felt they had carte blanche when it came to enforcing their own brand of justice.

Over the past few decades the law and order crowd have run roughshod over civil rights as police departments morphed into a domestic military force.  More and more frequently we are witnessing middle America falling victim to the same treatment once reserved for those on the wrong side of the tracks.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

Gazi    3,903
3 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

And instead of using this death to interrogate the police Dept in the Twin Cities, people are just using this to bash Somalian immigrants. Humans are so stupid. 

Blue Lives only Matter if you're white?