Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saca312

How Much Does The Defense Change Under Coach Wilks?

Recommended Posts

160519_wilks_600x360.jpg

So, consider for a moment the state of our defense. 

Coach McDermott is no longer our defensive coordinator, since he achieved a head coaching position in Buffalo. Coach Wilks has been named our new defensive coordinator under Rivera, and deservedly so. He's brought out the best out of our young corners and an integral part of the coaching staff.

Now, Wilks has mentioned on multiple occasions he doesn't plan on changing much, but that could always mean we could still implement new ideas/old ideas into our defense. He will likely bring about a slightly new philosophy for our defense and how he sees our monsters working going forward.

So, our personnel consists of the addition of SS Mike Adams, DE Julius Peppers, and CB Captain Munnerlyn as our new additions. Our pass rushers will likely consist of Peppers, Addison, Short, Butler, and maybe a bit of CJ at times as our force wreckers. Our LBs are still the best in the game.

Would having Kurt Coleman back at FS with Mike Adams in the box change a few things we could do? Could we see a bit more of man, with Coleman free? Or even Cover 1 robber, with Mike Adams free in the shorter middle?

One thing that's been thrown around was how often Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis were forced to be thrown back into coverage last year. Some argue our rookies inexperience was a part of that, but even so could it really just be that we never had a competent nickel that's able to allow our LBers to thrive?

I believe that may have been the case. 

Consider having an actual proven Nickel in Captain Munnerlyn, and how that would impact things. Would that finally allow TD and Luke to be more free'd up instead of being forced to compensate by dropping back in coverage? Can they finally attack at the LoS and disrupt the middle where they thrive in? Could we become as monstrous as our 2013 and 2015 defenses in how our nickel packages allowed our defense to thrive?

Addison seemed to thrive in B-gap blitzes. Do you think Wilks will dial up some more of that this year? How do you think Wilks will utilize Peppers physical presence and allow him to thrive in pass rushing situations? Will Kawann Short get more reps at DE and such?

What kind of crazy schemes could we possibly run? With Peppers experience at OLB along with Addison's, would you expect to see some crazy schemes coming out of that possibility? 

What do you think Wilks will do to take advantage of the pieces he has in this arsenal of weapons on our defense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say it but, probably not too much of a difference. My hope is that he is a little more aggressive than McDermott.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just now, enikville said:

I hate to say it but, probably not too much. My hope is that he is a little more aggressive than McDermott.

I'm just praying this is the end of the "ooh we have a 1 point lead prevent D" McDermott and Rivera seemed to love. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

I'm just praying this is the end of the "ooh we have a 1 point lead prevent D" McDermott and Rivera seemed to love. 

Agreed. That is especially where I would like to see more aggressive play calling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a somewhat unpopular statement, but I believe it is time to let Shaq get more and more of TDs snaps. Last season was the first season I felt TD had lost a step. However, I do believe Ron will continue to play a veteran over a faster, younger player. But we all saw what speed did for Atlantas defence last season..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Norway said:

I know this is a somewhat unpopular statement, but I believe it is time to let Shaq get more and more of TDs snaps. Last season was the first season I felt TD had lost a step. However, I do believe Ron will continue to play a veteran over a faster, younger player. But we all saw what speed did for Atlantas defence last season..

While that could be the case, could it be due to TD having to over-compensate for inexperience and lack of a quality nickel in the fact he had to cover more than he should've?

I believe we will see more of Shaq in TD's role as interchangeable parts, but I still think TD could still thrive with some help around him. Munnerlyn provides that possible boost.

Do you believe this would be a possibility?

I can see this defense going into the direction of our 2013 defense with our nickel option, and our LBers doing far better with help around them. Experience goes a long way, and I can see our defense in the top 3 next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

While that could be the case, could it be due to TD having to over-compensate for inexperience and lack of a quality nickel in the fact he had to cover more than he should've?

I believe we will see more of Shaq in TD's role as interchangeable parts, but I still think TD could still thrive with some help around him. Munnerlyn provides that possible boost.

Do you believe this would be a possibility?

I can see this defense going into the direction of our 2013 defense with our nickel option, and our LBers doing far better with help around them. Experience goes a long way, and I can see our defense in the top 3 next year.

Good point about the help around the LBer's. We have two veteran safeties, and a vet nickel to go with our good young corners this year. It should let the LBer's play a little freer at times because they should be able to trust those behind them a little more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Considering this is the guy who has worked with Rivera to make the #1 Defense years ago in San Diego

 

 

and the fact the Wilkes was the guy Rivera wanted ORIGIONALLY over McDermott but couldn't due to contracts or something..

 

I'd say it'll just be flat out better. McDermott was Riveras 2nd choice. Wanted Wilkes first. By the time Wilkes got here McDerm was already seeded in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

160519_wilks_600x360.jpg

So, consider for a moment the state of our defense. 

Coach McDermott is no longer our defensive coordinator, since he achieved a head coaching position in Buffalo. Coach Wilks has been named our new defensive coordinator under Rivera, and deservedly so. He's brought out the best out of our young corners and an integral part of the coaching staff.

Now, Wilks has mentioned on multiple occasions he doesn't plan on changing much, but that could always mean we could still implement new ideas/old ideas into our defense. He will likely bring about a slightly new philosophy for our defense and how he sees our monsters working going forward.

So, our personnel consists of the addition of SS Mike Adams, DE Julius Peppers, and CB Captain Munnerlyn as our new additions. Our pass rushers will likely consist of Peppers, Addison, Short, Butler, and maybe a bit of CJ at times as our force wreckers. Our LBs are still the best in the game.

Would having Kurt Coleman back at FS with Mike Adams in the box change a few things we could do? Could we see a bit more of man, with Coleman free? Or even Cover 1 robber, with Mike Adams free in the shorter middle?

One thing that's been thrown around was how often Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis were forced to be thrown back into coverage last year. Some argue our rookies inexperience was a part of that, but even so could it really just be that we never had a competent nickel that's able to allow our LBers to thrive?

I believe that may have been the case. 

Consider having an actual proven Nickel in Captain Munnerlyn, and how that would impact things. Would that finally allow TD and Luke to be more free'd up instead of being forced to compensate by dropping back in coverage? Can they finally attack at the LoS and disrupt the middle where they thrive in? Could we become as monstrous as our 2013 and 2015 defenses in how our nickel packages allowed our defense to thrive?

Addison seemed to thrive in B-gap blitzes. Do you think Wilks will dial up some more of that this year? How do you think Wilks will utilize Peppers physical presence and allow him to thrive in pass rushing situations? Will Kawann Short get more reps at DE and such?

What kind of crazy schemes could we possibly run? With Peppers experience at OLB along with Addison's, would you expect to see some crazy schemes coming out of that possibility? 

What do you think Wilks will do to take advantage of the pieces he has in this arsenal of weapons on our defense?

Secondary is going play similar to Broncos defense with the CBs playing more man. 

Linebackers should utilized more in coverage instead of blitz. 

DL stopping the run 1st, getting to the QB 2nd. 


All this will equate to an elite defense with a lot of turnovers. 

Mix of Seattle / Broncos defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I'm just praying this is the end of the "ooh we have a 1 point lead prevent D" McDermott and Rivera seemed to love. 

To be fair, lots of teams love this concept. Still infuriating to watch it unfold, though. 

I would like to see a little more man-to-man but only if we can actually execute it. Fit the schemes around the players, not the other way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      18,951
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    Weezy
    Joined
  • Topics

×