Saca312

How Much Does The Defense Change Under Coach Wilks?

30 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I'm just praying this is the end of the "ooh we have a 1 point lead prevent D" McDermott and Rivera seemed to love. 

To be fair, lots of teams love this concept. Still infuriating to watch it unfold, though. 

I would like to see a little more man-to-man but only if we can actually execute it. Fit the schemes around the players, not the other way around.

1 person likes this

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

They have been together for years.  You could say part of the Rivera tree.

I would like to think we get better. McDerp was overrated and loved to keep teams in the game with prevent defense when we had the lead.

Captain Munnerlyn did an interview on Sirius/XM last week and they asked him this question. He said he didn't expect there to be much difference; but he did say that Wilks does like blitzing the nickel corner, something Munnerlyn was obviously excited about.  

5 people like this

Hopefully, more man to man!

I say that understanding that Rivera and McD were a bit handicapped last year. Had to protect their young secondary and we're dealing with injuries. Couldn't leave those rookies on an island early on

I'll be happy if it means fewer LB A-gap blitzes. IMHO, when it doesn't work it leaves us wide open to attack 

42 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

Secondary is going play similar to Broncos defense with the CBs playing more man. 

Linebackers should utilized more in coverage instead of blitz. 

DL stopping the run 1st, getting to the QB 2nd. 

All this will equate to an elite defense with a lot of turnovers. 

Mix of Seattle / Broncos defense

Where did you read/hear this? 

I'd like to see more of a 4-2-5 look and utilize Shaq more. With our two rangy corners and now a nickel that is one of the best in the slot, as well as bringing pressure, I think we can disguise a lot of our looks.  With LBs like Luke, TD, and Shaq, I think we can let Thompson be our wildcard rover.  God forbid we land Adams/Hooker/Melinfonwu in the draft.... game over. 

I'd like to see Wilks better utilize our strengths, not bend as much and force offenses to make mistakes, rather than waiting on them to come to us. We have the personnel, speed and athleticism to dictate more.... I feel like McD didn't maximize our potential. 

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, Man Strength said:

Where did you read/hear this? 

Just going by players skill set and coaches interview. 

One reason Josh Norman was let go  was due to lack of top end speed. The reason we drafted Bradberry early on that most expected was not only instincts but the size to go with speed. 

More man means Safety will be able to roam more free.

Edited by sanjay_rajput

I just pray to see less and less of the cushion we give teams in zone.  Let our DBs play up more this year...enough giving teams a 7-8 yard pass all day long. 

1 person likes this