Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ivan The Awesome

One thing is clear, the brass is giving Shula the benefit of the doubt.

Recommended Posts

We've all agreed in certain things in the past. 

 

This offense needs a better line. This offense needs weapons. To some extent it has been addressed.  This year more than ever. The brass probably thought, "Well we're getting KB back, we don't need to improve the offense more". Hindsight right? I do recall Shula saying something about getting another tight end. 

 

Even in the 15-1 season most of us had our doubts about the offense. The key was probably the missing piece. KB was gone so Cam had to look elsewhere.  Defenses probably didn't think Ginn or brown or Funchess were a threat of any kind. Rightfully so, what defense will fear that trio?  Well that year was more about Cam Newton being the motor that kept that offense running. Probably his best statistical year. He audibled more than ever that year. Probably not liking what Shula called in. 

Last year was a disaster. Mainly injuries, on the line. Cam had his #1 back and was honestly forcing too much. Again with really bad play calling. 

 

Record being good enough for a top ten pick.

The silver lining being that when the Panthers have had a bad season the next season always is good. This type of pattern isn't good for obvious reasons. But the fact remains. This year is going to be a good year. 

When the Panthers transitioned from Hurney to Gettleman. It was unusual, to see a new GM keep the old GM's coach. Usually when that type of change happens the new GM brings in his own guy. Not Gettleman.  He gave Ron an opportunity.  He answered with a 12-4 season. Gettleman knows continuity is a good thing. But also knows that improvement is better. He identified areas that needed upgrade and players that quite frankly,  weren't needed. For the most part he's replaced or upgraded the roster. Keeping the core in place, the core that gives this team an identity. Having to pause 7 seconds to find out that Cam Newton is indeed a franchise QB. From there, he's been catering to Cam's play style. Drafting guys with big catch radius' so he would have an easier time connecting. I'm sure he knows Cam's accuracy isn't the best. He is working around it. In comes Shula and most of us were not pleased. I know Jeremy wasn't. I sure wasn't. He knew the system. 

 

To me this system went vanilla once Shula took over. When Chudzinski was at the helm this offense was a TE friendly one. Chudzinski was too smart for his own good at times and probably put too many creases into plays but there was no denying the offense moved along just fine. Maybe it was the personnel they had back then. Olsen, Shockey,  a respectable deep threat in Smith, a possession receiver like LaFell?  A power back like Stewart and a change of pace back like Williams?  Then you had a star rookie as well. Not afraid to make plays.  If I remember correctly Cam had a safety valve in his TEs if he didn't have something deep. His passes and the plays didn't take so much time to develop.

Fast forward and now you have long developing plays with one good tight end and about three possession receivers. Ginn being the deep threat. That needs to be upgraded.  Shula might be lobbying for a second TE and a true speed guy to make this offense more potent than years past. 

 

I expect this draft to address the offense more. Thus the brass giving Shula the benefit of the doubt. If they do acknowledge Shula's plea and get another TE,  then another player that can be utilized either in the backfield or as a slot or outside guy, then we will find out if Shula is the problem or not. 

 

A scenario here would be the Panthers getting someone like Howard in the first and then a WR in the second or trading back up in the first for one. Which is a huge possibility.  Then come this season we will know. 

 

Either way Ron went all in with Shula. I remember distinctly Gettleman saying he wanted some change but Ron stepped in and said he trusts Shula and the staff. The result will be on the field this coming season. If they fail to make the playoffs and have a sub 500 record, I wouldn't doubt one second they'll be looking for work. 

Continuity is asinine without Continuous improvement.  That needs to be emphasized. 

Here's hoping for the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

We've all agreed in certain things in the past. 

 

This offense needs a better line. This offense needs weapons. To some extent it has been addressed.  This year more than ever. The brass probably thought, "Well we're getting KB back, we don't need to improve the offense more". Hindsight right? I do recall Shula saying something about getting another tight end. 

 

Even in the 15-1 season most of us had our doubts about the offense. The key was probably the missing piece. KB was gone so Cam had to look elsewhere.  Defenses probably didn't think Ginn or brown or Funchess were a threat of any kind. Rightfully so, what defense will fear that trio?  Well that year was more about Cam Newton being the motor that kept that offense running. Probably his best statistical year. He audibled more than ever that year. Probably not liking what Shula called in. 

Last year was a disaster. Mainly injuries, on the line. Cam had his #1 back and was honestly forcing too much. Again with really bad play calling. 

 

Record being good enough for a top ten pick.

The silver lining being that when the Panthers have had a bad season the next season always is good. This type of pattern isn't good for obvious reasons. But the fact remains. This year is going to be a good year. 

When the Panthers transitioned from Hurney to Gettleman. It was unusual, to see a new GM keep the old GM's coach. Usually when that type of change happens the new GM brings in his own guy, but not under Jerry Richardson who gave Ron an opportunity.  He answered with a 12-4 season. Gettleman knows continuity is a good thing. But also knows that improvement is better. He identified areas that needed upgrade and players that quite frankly,  weren't needed. For the most part he's replaced or upgraded the roster. Keeping the core in place, the core that gives this team an identity. Having to pause 7 seconds to find out that Cam Newton is indeed a franchise QB. From there, he's been catering to Cam's play style. Drafting guys with big catch radius' so he would have an easier time connecting. I'm sure he knows Cam's accuracy isn't the best. He is working around it. In comes Shula and most of us were not pleased. I know Jeremy wasn't. I sure wasn't. He knew the system. 

 

To me this system went vanilla once Shula took over. When Chudzinski was at the helm this offense was a TE friendly one. Chudzinski was too smart for his own good at times and probably put too many creases into plays but there was no denying the offense moved along just fine. Maybe it was the personnel they had back then. Olsen, Shockey,  a respectable deep threat in Smith, a possession receiver like LaFell?  A power back like Stewart and a change of pace back like Williams?  Then you had a star rookie as well. Not afraid to make plays.  If I remember correctly Cam had a safety valve in his TEs if he didn't have something deep. His passes and the plays didn't take so much time to develop.

Fast forward and now you have long developing plays with one good tight end and about three possession receivers. Ginn being the deep threat. That needs to be upgraded.  Shula might be lobbying for a second TE and a true speed guy to make this offense more potent than years past. 

 

I expect this draft to address the offense more. Thus the brass giving Shula the benefit of the doubt. If they do acknowledge Shula's plea and get another TE,  then another player that can be utilized either in the backfield or as a slot or outside guy, then we will find out if Shula is the problem or not. 

 

A scenario here would be the Panthers getting someone like Howard in the first and then a WR in the second or trading back up in the first for one. Which is a huge possibility.  Then come this season we will know. 

 

Either way Ron went all in with Shula. I remember distinctly Gettleman saying he wanted some change but Ron stepped in and said he trusts Shula and the staff. The result will be on the field this coming season. If they fail to make the playoffs and have a sub 500 record, I wouldn't doubt one second they'll be looking for work. 

Continuity is asinine without Continuous improvement.  That needs to be emphasized. 

Here's hoping for the best. 

Corrected

That is why we are drafting OJ Howard if Fournette is gone.

Coaches are going to have more input in this year's draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


For whatever reason, the team executives have given Ron the benefit of the doubt, and we all know he lives and dies by his guys.  Shula is Ron's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newton needs to get over his yips as well

i have been on the oj Howard bandwagon as a Two TE offense Newton did quite well using his first year...granted Shula was not the OC

my point is, Howard is special.

Go get him as he fixes a multitude of issues more so than any other pick...including he knows how to block   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shula was the one asking for another TE last off season, knowing that we had to evolve as an offense. 

It's absolutely insane the criticism he gets for last season.  His hands were tied.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Shula was the one asking for another TE last off season, knowing that we had to evolve as an offense. 

It's absolutely insane the criticism he gets for last season.  His hands were tied.

I can tell you didn't read a single word in the thread.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




I've been dying for more 2 TE sets since Shockey left, but we've never had a second TE of that caliber here since he left.  Even if Fournette is available, i think i'd still go with Howard.  Dude knows and appreciates the value of blocking, first and foremost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

I can tell you didn't read a single word in the thread.. 

The tone was there, otherwise i wouldn't have posted what I did. 

Quit crying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The tone was there, otherwise i wouldn't have posted what I did. 

Quit crying.

Only one crying is you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Shula proves us all wrong. That much is sincere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delusional, much?

 

Anyways, back on topic, I'm looking forward to the changes that will be implemented. Hopefully, we'll get another talented TE this year.  Seeing more production from the slot will be huge, especially in opening up our flankers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×