Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

Carolina Panthers biggest weakness as of today....

KB_fan    12,050
36 minutes ago, Bronn said:

Most of our biggest needs are needs due to depth or uncertainty, which is actually a good thing when you think about it

Well said.

I tend to agree with most of what you wrote.

In terms of my overall anxiety about the roster, I'm still most anxious re: offensive tackles until we see how Kalil looks and whether Oher is healthy.  But I don't have high expectations to solve this problem in the draft.

Going into the draft, I agree we need a young stud DE who we can begin to develop and train up behind Pep & CJ.

I also would like us to groom another safety under Adams.  If we're gonna play a 36-37 year old, let's maximize his experience and use him as a player - coach.

BUT, I actually feel our needs are more acute at offense.  I'm high on the scenario to draft a TE - RB combo and also strengthen our talent at WR.  Losing Ted Ginn worries me.  I like what I see of CJ#2 and Shepard on paper, but I'm not going to count on them as anything more than potential depth right now.

I want 3 skill players on offense badly.  We need an injection of talent on offense.  The Defense needs are slightly lower priority in my mind, though I understand the reasons why we might draft a potentially elite DE or S like Thomas or Adams at #8 if they're there, even if our holes on offense seem a bit bigger.

• Pie 4

KB_fan    12,050
12 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

We lost no one and gained Peppers.

Well, we lost Ealy...  Is that the same as no one?!  Ouch.

• Pie 2

CarolinaSamurai    1,392
3 hours ago, steven8989 said:

We was good DE wise last year and had a bunch of sacks. I wouldn't say we need quite as much. Definitely not worth the 8th pick. We need some offensive weapons. Tired of them not trying to help Cam out.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Does no one know that our pressure and sacks came from blitzing safety, LB, and CB? Not from the front 4? And in doing so completely ruined our coverage and pass protection. 

We need a DE in this draft more than anything. If we start to be competitive this year we will be drafting late again. We need to take full advantage of our position in a DE, S, TE, CB deep draft. 

I would say safety and TE as well because again very deep talented class this year and the talent behind Olsen and our starting Safetys to the next guy in line is woefully bad. 

The biggest need is OT but to me the class is so crap this year it's not worth it till our 3rd pick and later for a project that could be great.

• Pie 3

PhillyB    40,346

definitely tackle and end. i know lots of people are freaking out about receiver but i don't think it's an issue.

LinvilleGorge    13,703
3 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i know lots of people are freaking out about receiver but i don't think it's an issue.

Based on what?

Other than hopes and prayers that guys make big leaps forward I see no logical argument for WR not being a significant issue.

• Pie 1

On offense: OT, WR

On defense: DE, S

- Kalil is a big gamble and Oher is done. Williams is a nice RT though but we got nobody of decent value backing him up. I'd take a chance on a guy like Garcia.

- Benjamin and Funchess are disappointments. Beyond that, we got no idea what to expect with the newcomers and camp fodder. I'd take a chance on some kid.

- Horton, Addison, Delaire, Webster and Cox. That's a below average core of pass rushers. We need a guy like Thomas or Allen badly. 

- Safety is a need too. After Coleman, there is great uncertainty with Marlowe and Boston. We need a guy who can tackle and/or cover. I prefer Hooker but Adams is nice too.

• Pie 1

JawnyBlaze    5,246
47 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Well, we lost Ealy...  Is that the same as no one?!  Ouch.

Hah I actually did forget about that but yea, Peppers is an upgrade over ealy imo so it's still a definite upgrade

• Pie 2

TheRed    17,979

OT, and if we are simply being completely honest with ourselves, more WR the most. We signed a couple of unknowns, and we are hinging our season on Benjamin taking the next step, and Funchess actually doing something. Not exactly ideal.

• Pie 2

jarhead    1,031

I think our biggest need is safety but as everyone pointed out we have big questions at DE and OT. I am not so sure if those questions can be answered with the 8th pick unless someone falls to us. I think the bigger question is who can improve our team the most.

Panthero    173

Offense

we need a slot WR and a second TE (not for depth, for formations) and a RB along with his lead blocker

We also need a OT and C project, along with a guard that can take over for one of the two guards coming up on contracts. So later round OT and C and early round G. 

Defense

Development DE that can learn behind the vets, another DT as insurance for Star and/or Kawann leaving. Butler will need help if one or both leave. 

A backup LB to replace Klein. 

A SS of the future as well. 

• Pie 1

Lumps    1,644
1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Based on what?

Other than hopes and prayers that guys make big leaps forward I see no logical argument for WR not being a significant issue.

Based on philosophy. People around here forget we are a running team and we need a RB so much more. We need a deep threat speed guy but people on here seem to think just because we don't have a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green we need a WR. We do not run those offenses.

Furthermore we have invested in the position with first and second rounders. Funchess is so young I will give him one more year. KB came back from a huge knee injury and almost put up 1k yards. People need to understand that.

Lastly we have Olsen. Him with KB and you have two 1k receivers, granted not much speediness but the fact remains, how many other teams in the NFL who have a run base philosophy would kill for that duo?

What have we, as a heavily run oriented team, invested in RB? Nothing, really. That is why I feel RB should be addressed. Unfortunately if we didn't have Shula we could even utilize a RB with speed as a quick speedy receiver as well. I'm not saying we don't need speed, we most certainly do, I'm simply saying we need to look at philosophy more than ideals, and I'm doing so, also consider our downfalls in Shula who needs a RB.

• Pie 1