panther4life

2016 losses recap.(Shula haters you have some explaining to do)

84 posts in this topic

I don't think Shula has much to do with the other teams scoring a ton of points on us. 21, 27, 22, 48, 17, 41, 20, 10, 20, 20, 35, 40, 16, 15, 33, 17.

We lost three of the games where opponents scored less than 20 points on us. You can blame the offense, and thereby the OC for that. We lost every one of the games where the opponents scored 30 points or more... and we gave up 3 games with scores of 40 points or more... that is a defense completely unable to stop the opposition.

Our defense last season played a lot like the Atlanta Falcons Super Bowl defense... lights out for the first half and completely gassed by the second half. Of course, we had some very key injuries and a secondary with training wheels, but Bill Belichick couldn't survive giving up 30+ points as regularly as we did.

You can make your case with a simple "dur hur Shula sucks" and let that stand. Morons have been doing it for a while now, but you can't put all the blame for losses on his shoulders and then look at the prior season and give him no credit at all for the 15-1 season.

There's more truth to the OP's post than most can understand.

Let's see how they do this year. There was a lot at play that hurt this team in 2016, not the least of which was the extended 2015 season and a very short offseason.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Week 5 bucs first and goal at the 1 he throws the ball.  Shula is a moron.

Exactly.

Sorry OP, but many of the games you listed you blame a sack (Minny) or INT (Tampa DA) or a bad block for a sack (KC) or a stupid dipsy doo screen pass for a pick 6 (Oak) when in those games, a better play call wins us the game. Guess what, if you want to, you can easily take every bad play call and find a scape goat of the QB, WR, TE, RB or OL. That said, still a bad play call. Denver as well, we went from good play calls where we gave Remmers help, took short drops and negated Miller. Then we jump back to our SB mold play calling after we have a nice lead and put Remmers on an island. It's almost as if we didn't learn anything.

Sorry, almost every bad play you listed for the offense could have also been thrown under the category of a bad call by Shula when a different play like a run on 1st and goal from the 1 or 1st and 10 at KC's 20 when a FG puts us up 3 scores going into the 4th.

1 person likes this

I'm cool with people who want to upgrade Shula but when we're signing teams 4th and 5th string receivers as upgrades, and taking a big flyer on Kalil. How can you complain about upgrades at oc when we're not making the necessary upgrades on the offensive end??? And this had been going on for some years now. Shula is near the bottom of the list as far as upgrades IMO.

Ps the play clock myth got busted when da started, no issues when getting the call in, so there's more to it then simply blaming Shula

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Posted (edited)

There have been some really great posts in this thread. There isn't a single real Panther fan that can deny that Shula's terrible playcalling is a significant weakness of this team. I found myself last season saying things like "oh bet its run up the gut, bet its long pass on 3rd and 1" , and I'm usually right. Its bad if some random football fan like me can predict what Shula is going to call more often than not, what do you think defensive coordinators and coaches of the other teams we're playing against are thinking then? Probably that this guy is an uncreative predictable dumb ass of an OC. And easily counter his unchanging antiquated stratagems .

Sure we could have better offensive talent. But no coach or team in the league is in the perfect situation and you can not expect Shula to have an all star offensive roster filled to the brim with perrenial pro bowlers and world beaters. The vast majority of teams are lucky to have one super star on offense, I think as a coach its what you do with role players shows youre ability to be a great coach (ala Bill Bellicheck) , rather than just overly relying on mega talent to have a consistently great offense.

Edited by Hoenheim
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Exactly.

Sorry OP, but many of the games you listed you blame a sack (Minny) or INT (Tampa DA) or a bad block for a sack (KC) or a stupid dipsy doo screen pass for a pick 6 (Oak) when in those games, a better play call wins us the game. Guess what, if you want to, you can easily take every bad play call and find a scape goat of the QB, WR, TE, RB or OL. That said, still a bad play call. Denver as well, we went from good play calls where we gave Remmers help, took short drops and negated Miller. Then we jump back to our SB mold play calling after we have a nice lead and put Remmers on an island. It's almost as if we didn't learn anything.

Sorry, almost every bad play you listed for the offense could have also been thrown under the category of a bad call by Shula when a different play like a run on 1st and goal from the 1 or 1st and 10 at KC's 20 when a FG puts us up 3 scores going into the 4th.

First of all. I never said Shula is blameless or above average. I just stated that he's not so horrible that he is the #1 deciding factor in whether we win or lose a game. 

I didn't make a post about all of our wins and say hey look because Shula is so brilliant we overcame the odds and beat this team.

I just highlighted turnovers mostly that were the difference in close games last year. If you think about it we had a much lower turnover ratio in 15 and the results in the close games all swung in our favor. 

So when reviewing the turnovers I broke it down to bad playcall or bad execution.

Yes I blamed the players not executing properly. I also listed why they were on the players more so than the play call itself. 

If a player fumbles a ball on long drive, then how can Shula be at fault for that. 

Im sorry but DA should be kicked off the team if he can't handle a 1 yard pass play.It was first down and throwing away was an option, giving us 2 more chances to try and punch it in. Stewart was out for that game so you'd of had to trust Artis-Payne or Whittaker to punch it in and not lose yards. 

The chiefs game we were in control the whole time. Worst case scenario we go to overtime. Then Benjamin fumbles it. Do you really think that can be blamed on Shula? 

Edited by panther4life
1 person likes this

I've always argued that Blaming Shula is the laziest excuse I have ever seen panther fans make. First 4 responses only strengthen my stance on that. I'm open for debate on the matter, I presented my case in favor of him,someone please show me how I am wrong. 

Agree completely

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

So far is this thread:
"Dumbass throws on first and goal from the one!"
"Dumbass runs the ball three times in a row on first and goal!"
"Dumbass with the long developing routes!"
"Dumbass with the dipsy doo screens!"
"Dumbass calls for short routes when we need long yardage and vice versa, yet is completely predictable!"
Shula is all things to all people. I think he is evil incarnate and the worst person that has ever walked the earth. (I like to channel my outrage, and until Shula wins me over with a bitchin' yogurt commercial, he will continue to be my target.)

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Posted (edited)

Yeah I will hate that Benji strip fumble against the Cheifs until the day I die. That was me at my angriest in any game of the whole season, besides the first ATL game when Julio ran roughshod over fuging everyone.

Makes it worse he's a big ass 6'5'' possession receiver with gigantic hands and muscles, and you get stripped like a punk in a critical late game scenario is almost unforgivable.

Edited by Hoenheim

I also find it ironic how so many of you will poo on the performance of every offensive player outside of the interior of our line, Cam,Olsen and Benjamin.

Example- Ted Ginn leaves in free agency.

Typical huddle reaction- Yessss! Now we don't have to deal with 10 dropped TD passes a year.

We sign Matt Kalil-  Pretty much a bust so far for a 4th over all pick. But many jump for joy because they realize our LT play can only get better not worse.

There was a thread on here where some guy on twitter broke down how horrible our receiver play was last year. Such as lacking ability to seperate or multiple dropped passes. Many unanimously agreed that our receiver play last year sucked from an execution stand point. 

The point is that lack of talent and getting riddled with injuries making it even worse, makes it very hard to solely place blame on Shula.

Nobody has ever said he can't be upgraded and especially not me. I just go against the grain in the sense that I'm willing to say hey it's not all his fault. Apparently Rivera agrees. 

Id argue Gettleman even thinks the same, otherwise he is a complete jackass for keeping Shula on board and ruining his teams chance to meet it's full potential. 

1 person likes this

its called the whole body of work  the collective failure of a game and game plan...not one play that didn't win it for us...