UpstatePanther

How would you feel if we took a kicker in round 6 or 7?

50 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ThPantherFan said:

I would trust our front office to make that decision.  Personally, if I were to go for a kicker it wouldn't be in the 7th.  I think a better kicker would be in the mid rounds.

ah here's the reason i posted this topic. i had no idea how valuable kickers are with respect to the draft. my gut told me a team wouldnt spend a 4th rounder on a kicker, but i suppose if he's a good enough kicker then a 4th might be worth it. im curious if anyone thinks there'd ever be a kicker worth more than a 4th rounder

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, UpstatePanther said:

ah here's the reason i posted this topic. i had no idea how valuable kickers are with respect to the draft. my gut told me a team wouldnt spend a 4th rounder on a kicker, but i suppose if he's a good enough kicker then a 4th might be worth it. im curious if anyone thinks there'd ever be a kicker worth more than a 4th rounder

I hate to put it this way, but in the 2000 NFL Draft, the Raiders picked kicker Sebastian Janikowski/FSU with the 17th overall selection.

With the 23rd overall selection, the Panthers picked CB Rashard Anderson/Jackson State.

Who made the better pick?

I think that pick has paid off in spades for the Raiders over the last 17 years.  But, on the other hand, taking a kicker that high is one helluva risk... a risk that paid off for the Raiders.

Aguayo may be available soon xD

18 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

what does that have to do with the week 1 loss vs denver? if we had to win just one game i wanted it to be that that game so fuging badly i will never forgive this man

17 hours ago, luke nukem said:

I was upset after week 1.

I was pissed too. He did not have a good year. Same can be said for every panther not named norwell, Davis, Olsen, and star. Not going to waive 49 players either.

31 minutes ago, MV%doe said:

I was pissed too. He did not have a good year. Same can be said for every panther not named norwell, Davis, Olsen, and star. Not going to waive 49 players either.

yeah but if your asking me to spend a 5th on a kicker who can actually kick it I'm all for it. its better than drafting someone like zack friggin sanchez.

8 minutes ago, luke nukem said:

yeah but if your asking me to spend a 5th on a kicker who can actually kick it I'm all for it. its better than drafting someone like zack friggin sanchez.

Youre asking the wrong person about using a draft pick on a special teamer. I'm mainly against it, takes a rare player to make a exception. I believe most of the long snappers, kickers and punters where undrafted, not 100% sure.

I do agree if there is a true upgrade in the 5th, take him. I just member the mare/Medlock era and while gano struggled it can be worse.

3 hours ago, MV%doe said:

you're joking, right?

9 hours ago, KillerKat said:

Aguayo may be available soon xD

No more Florida State kickers.  Ever.

Posted (edited)

What's the chance of a 6th round pick really becoming a quality starter? 10% maybe?

What's the chance of a kicker drafted in the 6th round of becoming a quality starter?  probably more than 10%?

Total 4 year cap cost of a 6th round pick, around $2.5m.

http://overthecap.com/draft

One year cap cost of Gano, $4m.

http://overthecap.com/player/graham-gano/1162/

Last year you could have drafted the 2nd kicker in the 6th round or the 20-27th WR.

Edited by AU-panther
1 person likes this

I go back and forth with Gano. Just from my eye test he seems to be above average overall but below upper echelon. 

If he would make a few more of those pressure kicks I don't think many people would have much heartburn with him. 

I don't follow kickers much but a good question would be, do kickers normally get better? Not sure.

I don't think a draft pick is quite worth it this year. I'd like to see Gano get one more year to prove where he's at and either stick by him or move along. 

1 person likes this