Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

j2sgam

The Last Jedi teaser trailer...

As a guy who's read almost every Star Wars book put into print (FU Kevin J Anderson, Barbara Hambly, and Vonda McIntyre), I am completely OK with it being low brow serial schlock....because that's what it is.  Flash Gordon on steroids and a massive marketing budget.  

The one place Star Wars had good character depth was in the Clone Wars cartoon, except the last subpar season on Netflix.  And I have to be honest, ANH didn't have much depth either.  But it doesn't have to, it is perfect for what it is.

The first two books out post Star Wars, Splinter of the Minds Eye and Han Solo at Stars End, had a decent amount of characterization work and really fleshed out the characters quite a bit, although SotME got the SW plot line terribly wrong. So us hardcore fans got more of the characters we liked, and the movies could just be the movies. A lot of long time fans have gotten their impressions of the characters from stuff in books.

Hated Barbara Hambly too LOL. Sucks Brian Daley died so young, he nailed everything about Han Solo as far as I'm concerned.

The opening scene of the book would be a great thing to film for sure. The Z-95 vs TIE (I always assumed the Corporate Sector ships described as prototypes were TIES) battle, the swoop chase and the barges...man there were a lot of great things going on in that first book. Second book kind of sucked. The third was great I thought, looking for that treasure.

I'm 0 for 5 for making it the whole way through this movie.  I'm always asleep by the time adult Jyn meets that horrible sounding character played by Forest Whitaker.  So far I'd rank this Star Wars movie slightly above that wookie Star Wars Christmas Special.  

It's spelled "Wookiee"

But I agree that Whitaker was a crazy distraction from the rest of the movie, that whole part wasn't as coherent as it needed to be. But it was a total side story and plot device to get Jyn involved quickly so no biggie.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to start at that scene to get it over with and get to the parts people say are good.  

If you like Star Wars as a kind of movie you should appreciate the second half more and the last third specifically.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Deafbeast9