Jump to content
Happy Panther

Anyone have an analog music setup?

Recommended Posts

I started buying albums in the early 70's as a kid and really never stopped...  Listen to at least one a night...  So yeah I have a receiver and turntable and all that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lomez said:

ETA: If you're in in Charlotte, definitely stop by Lunchbox for the selection, nice layout, new releases, etc. However, there's a joint about 5 minutes from there called Repo Record that's really good, too. It's not quite as aesthetically pleasing as Lunchbox, but the people are great and the selection is still pretty good.

I think the price's at Lunchbox are better than Repo....   But the crew that work at Lunchbox are the most unfriendly people I have ever encountered....  Personalities of a bag of doorknobs....  Dont expect the owner to welcome you or thank you for spending money at his store or the 2 goons working the counter...

Edited by dave-o
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


32 minutes ago, dave-o said:

I think the price's at Lunchbox are better than Repo....   But the crew that work at Lunchbox are the most unfriendly people I have ever encountered....  Personalities of a bag of doorknobs....  Dont expect the owner to welcome you or thank you for spending money at his store or the 2 goons working the counter...

I agree. Most of the reason I started going to Repo consistently was the contrast in the customer service. The owner is a really good guy, so I don't mind spending an extra couple bucks to support him. I also try to pay with cash when I can. 

If I want a new release, though, I pretty much have to do Lunchbox.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Lomez said:

I agree. Most of the reason I started going to Repo consistently was the contrast in the customer service. The owner is a really good guy, so I don't mind spending an extra couple bucks to support him. I also try to pay with cash when I can. 

If I want a new release, though, I pretty much have to do Lunchbox.

Yeah he is better than Lunchbox idiots.....   This is the turntable I use and I think for the price is a nice one....

 

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the days when Jeff Clayton of Antiseen worked at Repo. There were two back then. One on South Blvd and the other on ... I forget. East Blvd?

If you vinylheads ever want to flip your ish, come up here and spend a weekend shopping. I made a list the other day. There are around 20 record shops. Sure, some are terrible ... but the sheer madness of trying to keep up with that drives me insane. Luckily, I've narrowed it down to three that I really love so that helps a ton.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:

I remember the days when Jeff Clayton of Antiseen worked at Repo. There were two back then. One on South Blvd and the other on ... I forget. East Blvd?

If you vinylheads ever want to flip your ish, come up here and spend a weekend shopping. I made a list the other day. There are around 20 record shops. Sure, some are terrible ... but the sheer madness of trying to keep up with that drives me insane. Luckily, I've narrowed it down to three that I really love so that helps a ton.

The one I go to is on Commonwealth Ave near the Briar Creek intersection. Antiseen actually played a live show there on Record Store Day last month.

I bet the record store scene is strong up there. One of my best friends lives in Brooklyn...I might add that to the itinerary next time I visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Still Brooklyn said:

I remember the days when Jeff Clayton of Antiseen worked at Repo. There were two back then. One on South Blvd and the other on ... I forget. East Blvd?

If you vinylheads ever want to flip your ish, come up here and spend a weekend shopping. I made a list the other day. There are around 20 record shops. Sure, some are terrible ... but the sheer madness of trying to keep up with that drives me insane. Luckily, I've narrowed it down to three that I really love so that helps a ton.

Central Ave was the other one....  There are three maybe four here in Charlotte...  Lunchbox, Repo, Manifest and Wax Museum...  I would rate them in that order....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, dave-o said:

Central Ave was the other one....  There are three maybe four here in Charlotte...  Lunchbox, Repo, Manifest and Wax Museum...  I would rate them in that order....

Manifest is still open? Wow. I worked there for about five years. And yes ... Central! That's what I was remembering. Maybe Clayton worked at that one. Once I was in there looking at video tapes and he yelled, "STOP LOOKING AT THE PORN!" to try and freak me out, lol.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2017 at 11:01 PM, Still Brooklyn said:

Manifest is still open? Wow. I worked there for about five years. And yes ... Central! That's what I was remembering. Maybe Clayton worked at that one. Once I was in there looking at video tapes and he yelled, "STOP LOOKING AT THE PORN!" to try and freak me out, lol.

Manifest kind of sucks.   There really isn't much to choose from, and I wouldn't make a special trip there unless you're in the area.     In fact 2nd and Charles has a better selection though you could knock out Manifest and Charles at same time, plus Charles has some other cool stuff if you enjoy nerd stuff.    Lunchbox is probably the best, easily, and now that they have a new location so you're not crawling around looking at stuff in 105 degree heat because 50 people are there, it's much better.    

I find Repo to be "meh".    Plus not a ton of new unless you order it.    Good bit of old stuff though.

There's actually a record store in downtown Monroe, it's really unorganized but has a ton of old junk and he buys out collections pretty often.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2017 at 10:02 AM, Zaximus said:

There's actually a record store in downtown Monroe, it's really unorganized but has a ton of old junk and he buys out collections pretty often.  

That guy in Monroe seems to be up to something....  Almost like he uses that place as a store front...  He always tells me about all these amazing used records he has "in the back" but hasnt had a chance to put them out...  He also tried some fancy math on me when I bought some records....  Then he all but gave them to me !!  Havent been in a while maybe I will ride down there this weekend...   He does has have a ton of old junk tho !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone shop on Discogs? It's basically Amazon for vinyl. In fact, they have about 95% of anything you could ever possibly want. Not only does it list every bands discography, but each entry is then for sale by multiple sellers. I've bought about 50 records off of it. Only been burned once and got my money back (it's not regulated like eBay but uses Paypal). Discogs is the most wonderful website on the Interwebz. No need for a record shop.

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,249
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    PanthersFan81A
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      139,875
    • Total Posts
      4,445,228
×