bLACKpANTHER

Hornets sign Marcus Paige on 2-way contract

2 hours ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

I don't follow the NBA as close as most people here, but wtf happened to Ty Lawson? Wasn't he like a mid-tier PG for Denver? 

He's toast man.  Signed with the Kings last year, didn't do well.  He's just not good anymore.  

4 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

They had somewhere in the 2-3 mil range after they let Weber go.. they could have freed up 1.5 mil more by letting O'Bryant go.. but they didn't..

$4 - $4.5 mil would have been nice.. but we still have enough for a vet min contract for sure..

anyways - guys like Mo Speights and Afflalo were signed for vet min deals just a week or so ago.. seems like we Aren't interested in stacking talent for THIS year.. we must be comfortable enough knowing we will make the playoffs with this squad and that is enough..

To be fair, our roster is two deep at every position right now.  Those guys probably want PT, and they wouldn't get it here barring injuries (which will for sure happen).  

22 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

To be fair, our roster is two deep at every position right now.  Those guys probably want PT, and they wouldn't get it here barring injuries (which will for sure happen).  

very true..

It's just frustrating when you see the top teams in the league go to their bench - a guy like Afflalo or Speights or whoever will come out and I'm like - "Gosh, their 3rd stringer is better than our 2nd stringer!!"

That's what makes good-great teams.. not just a great starting 5 but a complete team that pushes each other..

^^with that said, we might have the best team right now since the LJ, Zo, Curry and Muggsy days..

• Pie 1

Just now, bLACKpANTHER said:

very true..

It's just frustrating when you see the top teams in the league go to their bench - a guy like Afflalo or Speights or whoever will come out and I'm like - "Gosh, their 3rd stringer is better than our 2nd stringer!!"

That's what makes good-great teams.. not just a great starting 5 but a complete team that pushes each other..

^^with that said, we might have the best team right now since the LJ, Zo, Curry and Muggsy days..

Those guys aren't going for third stringer spots on a team unless they're on a Title team.  

Speights will get a s hit ton of PT down in Orlando.  So will Affalo.  

3 hours ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

I don't follow the NBA as close as most people here, but wtf happened to Ty Lawson? Wasn't he like a mid-tier PG for Denver? 

DUIs. Lots of DUIs.

• Pie 2

Marcus Paige getting signed will get negative reactions from non UNC fans, but in all honesty, Paige on a two way deal in not a bad sign at all. 

With the two way, the money isn't guaranteed and he doesn't take up cap space or a roster spot. As a PG, he can definitely shoot the ball and he is smart enough to run a team. His stature and size is a concern and he will have to rely solely on his smarts to defend on the ball rather than being physical, but he will at least know where he needs to be and when to help or rotate.

In the short term, having guys like that in Greensboro the majority of the time will sell tickets. A lot of UNC fans will flock to those games. Also, he balled out in summer league, especially in Vegas with Minnesota. He shot 45% from 3 over 8 games out there. I'm surprised no one else beat us to him tbh.

• Pie 1

LLLLADIESSSSS AND GENTLEMENNNNNN

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYOUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRR

CCCCCHHHHHHHHAAAAAAARRRRLLLLLOOOTTTTEEEEEEE

TTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSS

Clearly everyone complaining about this has no knowledge of how the NBA's two-way contract works.

Per NBA rules, Paige can't spend more than 45 days with the Hornets (the regular season is 170 days); he will primarily be playing for the Swarm. Not to mention, his salary isn't even counted against the cap.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

Also, where's the uproar for MJ wasting a spot on Mathiang (also signed a two way contact)? Or do we only blow our lids for former Carolina players?

• Pie 2

On 8/2/2017 at 10:24 AM, My Goodness My Guinness said:

He was actually well on his way to stardom...  Was breaking into that top tier, but its rumored he has a bad drinking problem and I just don't think he cares anymore.

• Pie 1