Goondal

Bundesliga 2017/18

26 minutes ago, Goondal said:

That they were.  Promoted in '14 to the top flight, they then finished dead last and followed that with a last place finish in the second division.  They actually earned a third straight relegation this season but the (very sad) relegation of TV 1860 München from the second to the fourth division allowed them to stay in 3. Liga

1860 München II actually finished second in the fourth division last season and lost a playoff for promotion to  3. Liga.  Then when the big club was relegated it meant the reserve side had to be bumped to the fifth division.  That has gotta suck.

Seems to be some kind of trend with relegated teams getting relegated the following year as well, I remember it happening to Wolverhampton a few seasons ago after dropping out of the PL.

Matchday 1 was far from the most exciting.  Only Bayern and Dortmund topped two goals.  Four games ended 1:0 and another in a 0:0 draw, on only Bayern's 3:1 victory over Leverkusen saw both teams score.

Round II draw is in.  The highlight is Bayern visiting Leipzig.  Top two finishers in last season’s Bundesliga and one will be out in the Round of 32.  Wow!  There are three other match-ups between Bundesliga clubs.

It was not a great draw for the lower division teams.  Two of the five teams below the second division were drawn against Dortmund and Schalke

October 24-25
Schweinfurt 05 (IV) v. Eintracht Frankfurt
VfL Osnabück (III) v. 1. FC Nürnburg (II)
SC Paderborn (III) v. VfL Bochum (II)
1.  FC Magdeburg (III) v. Bourssia Dortmund
Wehen Wiesbaden (III) v. Schalke 04
Greuther Fürth (II) FC Ingolstadt (II)
Jahn Regensburg (II) v. 1. FC Heidenheim (II)
Fortuna Düsseldorf (II) v. Borussia Möchengladbach
1. FC Kaiserslautern (II) v. VfB Stuttgart
SC Freiburg v. Dynamo Dresden (II)
Mainz 05 v. Holstein Kiel (II)
Bayer Leverkusen v. Union Berlin (II)
RB Leipzig v. Bayern München 
Hertha Berlin v. 1. FC Köln
VfL Wolfsburg v. Hanover 96
Werder Bremen v. 1899 Hoffenheim

Edited by Goondal

Did not watch much live as I was more focused on Irma but these days off gave me the chance to catch up on the games the last two days.

Bayern looked pitiful (Bayern 0:2 Hoffenheim).  There really is nothing special going on there at the moment.  They will right the ship but the beginning of the season has not looked exceptional at all.  Hopefully they open up UCL by taking their frustration out of poor Anderlecht.  I think Hoffenheim could end up with a decent Europa campaign.  As much as it sucks only having three Bundesliga teams in UCL I think that they are better suited to be successful there, at least this season.

Dortmund had around 80% of the possession and spend the final hour a man up and still could not find the back of the net (Dortmund 0:0 Freiburg).  This was just one of those games, nothing to be concerned about for them I do not think.  They sit atop the table with seven points and still have yet to surrender a goal.  Freiburg is going to struggle this season although I guess getting a point here is something for them to simply about.

The most interesting game was Hannover 96 equalizing in seventy-fifth minute at Wolfsburg to remain unbeaten.  Their return to the Bundesliga has certainly gotten off to a good start.

I am updating the table in the first post for anybody that is interested.

Happy to see that Bayern seems to be playing much better the last two matches.  Having fun watching James.  That being said, Neuer is out until January, which just plain sucks.  Second foot injury this year.  Hopefully this does not become a thing with the World Cup next summer.

Today was an embarrassment.  I am in fear of what is going to happen with PSG this week.

All I know is James better be out there.

Hoping someone will break the monotony of the FCB monopoly. 

4 hours ago, Borat said:

Hoping someone will break the monotony of the FCB monopoly. 

Shut up :tongue:

Honestly though I can understand that, if I were not their fan I would feel the same (unless it was Leipzig).

Another 2-0 advantage.  Another blown lead.  Two more points dropped.  What an embarrassment.

Ribery is likely done with an ACL as well.  At least Freiburg helped us out by beating Hoffenheim.  They somehow have a win and a draw against Hoffenheim and Dortmund but are 1-0-4 against everyone else.

Five points down is not a good start.