• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PredatorPeppers

Julius Frazier Peppers Thread

5991881874ff6_Peppers5thplacesacklist.jpg.85a6411bb5547602d7d817dd0ba285a4.jpg

http://m.packers.com/news/article/julius-peppers-reaches-fifth-all-time-in-sacks-69740247-1fab-438a-bc2c-a4b7c7106024

GREEN BAY – About five years ago, Julius Peppers started thinking about trying to get to 100 career sacks.

“From there, you keep trying to climb the charts,” the veteran pass-rusher said.

Peppers has climbed those charts all season, all the way up to fifth on the all-time sacks list now with 142½. Peppers’ second-quarter sack of Houston QB Brock Osweiler on Sunday moved him out of a tie with Michael Strahan and into sole possession of fifth place.

With 6½ sacks so far this season, Peppers’ 15th in the NFL, he has moved past John Randle, Richard Dent, Jason Taylor and now Strahan. Next up is Chris Doleman in fourth (150½), eight sacks away.

“It’s an honor,” said Peppers, not one to talk much about milestones and career achievements when he’s in the midst of playing. “It’s great company to be in, a great accomplishment and all those things. I got home and reflected a little bit on it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000750990/Julius-Peppers-passes-Michael-Strahan-for-5th-most-sacks-in-NFL-history

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-julius-peppers-lawrence-taylor-sacks-all-time-list-122015

Julius Peppers passes Lawrence Taylor on all-time sack list

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-julius-peppers-derrick-thomas-all-time-sack-list-091315

With 1.5 sacks today, Julius Peppers passed former Chiefs HOFer Derrick Thomas for 15th on NFL's all-time sacks leaderboard with 127.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140316123304/http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/05/bears-de-peppers-career-sack-total-hits-100

The NFL announced Wednesday that DE Julius Peppers has been credited with a sack, instead of half a sack, in the Bears' Week 17 win over the Vikings.

The stat change bumped Peppers' season total to 11 sacks — the most on the team — and his career total to 100. DT Matt Toeaina was initially credited with the half sack that was added to Peppers' total.

Peppers, 31, just completed his 10th season in the league. He made 37 tackles and forced three fumbles during the 2011 campaign.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/julius-peppers-first-player-100-sacks-10-interceptions-career-packers-panthers-bears-100214%3famp=true

Peppers’ pick-6 makes him first member of NFL’s 100/10 club

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/15/as-sacks-decline-julius-peppers-stands-alone/amp/

Sacking the quarterback is harder than it used to be, which makes Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers’ totals all the more remarkable.

Peppers ranks fifth in NFL history with 143.5 sacks. And with Demarcus Ware and Robert Mathis retiring this offseason, and Dwight Freeney unsigned, Peppers is the only active player in the Top 20 in career sacks.

The four players ahead of Peppers on the all-time sack list — Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Kevin Greene and Chris Doleman — all started their careers in 1985. That year, NFL teams averaged 2.92 sacks per game. By the time Peppers entered the NFL, in 2002, sacks were down to 2.29 per team per game. By last year, sacks were down to 2.18 per team per game.

As rules changes have favored passing offenses, and NFL teams have prioritized protecting their quarterbacks, it’s become more difficult to get a sack. Bruce Smith’s career record of 200 sacks is almost certainly out of reach for the 37-year-old Peppers. And when Peppers retires, he may have a sack total that’s out of reach for any active player. Getting to the quarterback has never been harder, and players like Julius Peppers don’t come along very often.

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/bill-belichick-on-peppers.224208/

Bill Belichick : 

Q: They didn’t seem to move Peppers around much. 

BB: I don’t think they need to move him. He causes plenty of problems where he is. He’s a hard guy to deal with. He’s hard to run at. He’s hard to throw at. That’s where most of the right-handed quarterbacks have to throw, into that left side. He’s a factor there one way or the other. Because the offense usually extends a little bit to try to take care of him, they like to bring to the linebackers and blitz them up inside, whether it’s [Will] Witherspoon or Morgan or [Brandon] Short, whoever it is. So, as the line widens, to take Peppers and give attention to Peppers, that opens up a lot of the inside pressures for them. So, they do a good job of that. He’s a good player. We talked about last week [Randy] Moss being kind of in a special category offensively for the Raiders. I think you have to put Peppers in that same, whatever category that is, defensively. You have to know where he is every play. If they move him, they move him. If they don’t, sometimes they drop him. Sometimes they stunt him. A lot of times when they move him, they move him after the snap. In other words, the ball is snapped and he’s stunts down inside or he’s on a gain or something like that. It’s not like he doesn’t move off of that spot. But, for the most part, he does align there. At times he reduces down. But for the most part, he is on that tackle. 

Q: What about when he was at receiver? Didn’t they throw him a couple of jump balls in the corner of the end zone last year? 

BB: Yes. Well, he has played tight end. 

Q: What do you do there? 

BB: It’s hard. He’s a hard guy to match up against. The guy could probably play… he certainly could play outside linebacker. We know he can play defensive end. I imagine he could probably move inside and play defensive tackle. There's no question he could play tight end. He probably could play offensive tackle. He's 290-something pounds. You're talking about a guy that could probably play six or seven positions on the field. That's pretty unusual. 

Q: I was wondering because in that game, that Super Bowl game, there were a number of plays that you guys went right at Peppers, whether it was with Daniel Graham or Richard [Seymour] on the goal line play and took care of him on those particular plays. Since then, how has Julius changed? 

BB: Well, I think any player that has had a couple of extra years in the league gets better and I think Peppers is better now than he was then, but he was pretty good then too. He's a guy that we had to account for heavily in that game and did take into consideration in terms of our protections and our calls and even the plays that we ran. I don't think you want to run every single play throwing away from a corner or run away from a certain player on every single play. I think you have to do enough to keep them honest. But, there's no question that Peppers is a guy that you have to game plan for offensively. You have to know where he is. He can ruin the game and we've seen that plenty of times.

9/15/2005
Q: How has Julius Peppers improved in since you last played him in the Super Bowl? 
BB: Well, we played him last year in the preseason. So, we got a good look at him down there too. He played a lot in that game. I think he is essentially the same player, but he is more experienced, he reads some plays quicker, reacts quicker, and uses his hands. He used them well, but he's even improved on that. He's a hard guy to fool and even if you do get him out of position a little bit, he's such a great athlete, he has a lot of speed and power that he can recover very quickly. Again, it's different, but similar to coaching a player like Lawrence Taylor who, in all honesty, was out of position quite a bit, but he was such an exceptional athlete and was so fast and explosive, even though he was out of position, he could recover and still get back in on the play, which most players really can't do, or they can't do it as well as he could. Peppers is a little bit in that category. He makes a lot of plays and then there's times when he is a little bit out of position, but he recovers very quickly. 

Q: How does he influence what an offense does? 
BB: Well, I think you have to account for him every play. You have to know where he is. He can ruin the game. Just like he did with the Giants. He ruined [Eli] Manning for about a month, too. He went in there, they had him double teamed, he blew past the tackle, strip sacked the ball and messed up Manning's elbow, scooped it up and ran in for a 60-yard touchdown. It doesn't get any worse than that. But, that is the kind of play he can make. And he was supposed to be doubled on the play, too. He's an impact player. You have to know where he is. You have to defend him. He beat us inside on a rush down there in the preseason game last year, I don't know, for about a 15, 17-yard sack, whatever it was. We don't have any quarterbacks that can run away from him. I can tell you that. If he's after us, he's going to get us. He's a lot faster than we are.

Q: [Julius] Peppers was really hot. Did you look at him that year?

BB: Yeah, but we were picking 32nd that year, so the chances of him being there when we were picking were [small]. And there were a number of players that year—[Ryan] Sims was there that year if I am not mistaken, he came out that year and he went to Kansas City. I think they had somebody else too. Yeah, we saw him. He is a tremendous athlete. He can do pretty much anything you want him to do coming off the edge. He can run fast, jump over guys, but he is a big guy and has a lot of power. He plays the run well. He is strong at the point. He can get up field and beat the guys around the corner. He can come inside and power them. He is a terrific player.

f3b11712457f2399ffff35506f9f5713.jpg.337c09924ef65f12a9b9aa07d7088ba2.jpg

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/24570/nba-couldve-been-a-reality-for-packers-linebacker-julius-peppers

“I’ll tell you this, I do believe if Pep would’ve just focused on basketball, he could’ve played in the NBA,” said Doherty, who is now a scout for the Indiana Pacers.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/24553/man-of-steel-sturdy-julius-peppers-still-chasing-qbs-super-bowl-ring

Few remember that he redshirted as a freshman, in part because Tar Heels football coach Carl Torbush wasn’t sure where to play the 6-foot-7 Peppers, who was “a freaky-looking tailback in high school,” according to Torbush.

“We didn’t know if he was going to be a running back, a tight end, a defensive end or what,” recalled Torbush, now the head coach at East Tennessee State. “He’d have been definitely an all-conference tight end and maybe an All-America at tight end with his size and athleticism and his hands. For us, obviously it turned out the best.”

unc_peppers.JPG

http://m.panthers.com/news/article-2/Roundtable-2017-Training-Camp-Takeaways/21189833-e031-41bc-908c-851c5587dd70

Henson: Bradberry is an excellent choice. In the interest of offering something different, I'll go with defensive end Julius Peppersicon-article-link.gif. I know the 16-year veteran got plenty of days off, but he literally stood out throughout camp. Every teammate who was asked about Peppers marveled at his sheer size and strength. It's clear the defense is a more confident bunch just knowing Peppers is on their side. And when he lined up for one-on-ones or team drills, he proved he's still got plenty left in the tank. I don't think I've ever seen defensive line coach Eric Washington smile as much as he did watching Peppers do his thing in Spartanburg. 

Has anybody actually clicked on any of the links the OP as provided, or even read half of what he's copied and pasted?

1 hour ago, Shufdog said:

Has anybody actually clicked on any of the links the OP as provided, or even read half of what he's copied and pasted?

Nah I didn't need to read all that, I lived it.   

On 8/11/2017 at 6:47 PM, electro's horse said:

Peppers is the main reason Jenkins wanted out of town so bad and spent an entire season pouting because the Panthers wouldn't let him out of his contract

I read your Julius Peppers tragedy thread, try not coming up with conspiracy theories and speaking on things you don't know about.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/10/peppers-says-he.html

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers acknowledged Wednesday that he's being a more vocal leader this year and says the reason he didn't seem to instantly respond to owner Jerry Richardson's urging before the 2007 season was because veteran Mike Rucker was still with the team. Peppers said he had so much respect for Rucker that he felt he should defer to Rucker's leadership. Now, with Rucker retired, Peppers said he feels more free to let his leadership qualities show.

Here's how Peppers put it in Wednesday's locker-room interview:

"The thing about that is last year, you talk about Mr. Richardson calling me out and asking me to be a leader on this team, but then you don’t really realize that I’m here and Mike Rucker -- the guy who when I first game here, I hung on to, tried to learn from, respected him as much as you can respect anybody -- he’s still in the locker room next to me. I can’t really be myself around him and try to take over, if you want to call it the `Big Dog' role on the defense with him still here. I respect him that much. I don’t want to step on his toes and try to go over him.

"So, last year, I kind of fell back a little bit and let Ruck do his thing. Now, I feel like I’ve been here the longest and I feel like I can do it a little bit more."

http://m.panthers.com/news/article-2/Mike-Rucker-comments-on-Julius-Peppers-return/367051ab-0863-41d5-9288-9d96a91a058c

On what he thought when he heard Julius Peppers was coming back: "We played six years together and we've been through some great times. We've been through a lot. And he helped me grow. I don't know if he really knew this - but with his ability and him getting double-teamed, I needed to make sure that his sacrifice in taking that on wasn't for nothing. So that elevated my game.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-05/sports/ct-spt-0306-bears-peppers-chicago--20100305_1_mike-rucker-julius-peppers-maximum-value

The constant talk of Julius Peppers taking plays off finally started to annoy Mike Rucker.

Before Rucker retired, he toed the defensive line as the Carolina Panthers' right defensive end along with Peppers, who played on the left side until Rucker's retirement in 2008. Rucker watched Peppers evolve into one of the most dominant pass-rushers in the league.

pixel.gif"People can write what they want and scouts can say this and that but when you talk to offensive coordinators, are they going to let him go one-on-one against your offensive tackle day in and day out? Rucker posed. "Nine out of 10 times with Julius, that's going to be, ‘No.'

"At end of the day, if a guy needs to be double-teamed, that's the most respect a player can get.''

One NFL defensive coordinator whose team was not in the running for Peppers offered this assessment of the five-time Pro Bowl selection:

"Just look at the film from how he performed against the Vikings this past season. The guy can play and can be unstoppable. Sure, everybody takes plays off. But with his talent … sure, I'd want him on my team.''