Anybodyhome

Secret Service is Broke, Thanks to Trump "Never Going On Vacation:

Anybodyhome    4,736

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/secret-service-cant-pay-agents-due-to-trump-travel-family/ar-AAqsmrJ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

WASHINGTON — The Secret Service can no longer afford to pay hundreds of agents it needs to carry out an expanded protective mission – in large part due to the sheer size of President Trump's family and efforts necessary to secure their multiple residences up and down the East Coast.

Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex'' Alles, in an interview with USA TODAY, said more than 1,000 agents have already hit the federally mandated caps for salary and overtime allowances that were meant to last the entire year. 

The agency has faced a crushing workload since the height of the contentious election season, and it has not relented in the first seven months of the administration. Agents must protect Trump – who has traveled almost every weekend to his properties in Florida, New Jersey and Virginia – and his adult children whose business trips and vacations have taken them across the country and overseas.

"The president has a large family, and our responsibility is required in law,'' Alles said. "I can't change that. I have no flexibility.''

Alles said the service is grappling with an unprecedented number of White House protectees. Under Trump, 42 people have protection, a number that includes 18 members of his family. That's up from 31 during the Obama administration. 

Overwork and constant travel has also been driving a recent exodus from the Secret Service ranks, yet without congressional intervention to provide additional funding, Alles will not even be able pay agents for the work they have already done. 

The compensation crunch is so serious that the director has begun discussions with key lawmakers to raise the combined salary and overtime cap for agents, from $160,000 per year to $187,000 for at least the duration of Trump's first term.

But even if such a proposal was approved, about 130 veteran agents would not be fully compensated for hundreds of hours already amassed, according to the agency. 

"I don't see this changing in the near term,'' Alles said. 

Since his inauguration, Trump has taken seven trips to his estate in Mar-a-Lago, Fla., traveled to his Bedminster, N.J., golf club five times and returned to Trump Tower in Manhattan once.

Trump's frequent visits to his "winter White House" and "summer White House" are especially challenging for the agency, which must maintain a regular security infrastructure at each – while still allowing access to paying members and guests. 

Always costly in manpower and equipment, the president's jaunts to Mar-a-Lago are estimated to cost at least $3 million each, based on a General Accounting Office estimate for similar travel by former President Obama. The Secret Service has spent some $60,000 on golf cart rentals alone this year to protect Trump at both Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster

The president, First Lady Melania Trump and the couple's youngest son Barron – who maintained a separate detail in Trump Tower until June – aren't the only ones on the move with full-time security details in tow.

Trump's other sons, Trump Organization executives Donald Jr. and Eric, based in New York, also are covered by security details including when they travel frequently to promote Trump-branded properties in other countries.

In March, security details accompanied part of the family, including Ivanka Trump and husband Jared Kushner on a skiing vacation in Aspen, Colo. Even Tiffany Trump, the president's youngest daughter, took vacation to international locales such as Germany and Hungary with her boyfriend, which also require Secret Service protection

While Alles has characterized the security challenges posed by the Trump administration as a new "reality" of the agency's mission, the former Marine Corps major general said he has discussed the agency's staffing limitations with the White House so that security operations are not compromised by a unusually busy travel schedule.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the taxpayers are footing the bill for Secret Service golf cart rentals, among other things, which are paid to the country club Trump owns, which he then pockets the profits. And taxpayers are footing the bill for Secret Service protection for his 2 sons, Goebbels and Goering, while they conduct business overseas.

heel31ok    1,091

probably more from investigating all the threats on the President...since its money spent anyways let go ahead and prosecute some...

rodeo    14,026

since they stay at Trump's own resorts, all that money goes into his pocket. he's charging the taxpayers absolutely monsterous amounts and pocketing it. he's a kleptocrat.

heel31ok    1,091
14 minutes ago, rodeo said:

since they stay at Trump's own resorts, all that money goes into his pocket. he's charging the taxpayers absolutely monsterous amounts and pocketing it. he's a kleptocrat.

just wishful thinking on your part...lol...did i say thinking?

CRA    12,267
6 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

just wishful thinking on your part...lol...did i say thinking?

it is just a fact.  

Every weekend he brand builds and pads his pockets.  That is what every comical trip to his properties does.   Puts national attention on them and then he has the USG pay him. 

• Pie 1

Happy Panther    3,997

While it is classic Trump to be doing this it is not very high on the list of stuff that pisses me off about him. The president should be able to travel where and when he needs to do his job. Whether or not Trump is doing his job is another discussion.

Also these articles are pretty thin on actual numbers. If 1000 agents need an extra $27k then we are talking $27M needed relative to an overall budget of between $2B and $3B. (yes I know they do other stuff) Maybe it is more than that but it would be nice to know what the actual overrun is going to be. In any case when we lob $100M worth of Tomahawk missiles at someone without batting an eye this isn't a huge deal to me.

But don't worry I think trump is still human garbage.

• Pie 1

i read an article about a poll recently that found a subset of trump supporters who would not stop supporting him no matter what he did

we're lucky enough have a museum-quality specimen of such a poster right here in the tinderbox.

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield
  • Pie 1

Moorgan    5,999
9 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

i read an article about a poll recently that found a subset of trump supporters who would not stop supporting him no matter what he did

we're lucky enough have a museum-quality specimen of such a poster right here in the tinderbox.

LOL

This is a conundrum. But it's not a huge deal. Even if he wasn't staying at his own places, he's got 11 more people than Obama, which is 25%ish but not a huge deal. They simply need a budget increase. However, all of the ties to his own pocket are troublesome. Not sure how to stop that because I think the President is exempt from that kind of stuff. At least I think I remember reading that some months ago.

heel31ok    1,091
43 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

With sanitariam - quality detractors...

CRA    12,267
57 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Yep.  Those are Trumpers.  They are Trump fans.  They aren't the "right" or "Republcians"...those 2 groups have their own version of Trump denial and complacency though.

real Trumpers, like on this board....literally if found...would defend Trump being caught working directly with Putin to weaken the US and strengthen Russia's objectives while blackmailing Trump in the process.  Trumpers be like " Trump simply did whatever it took to win. I like that".  

• Pie 1