g5jamz

ESPN -> ESJW...political correctness gone amuk

g5jamz    1,127

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41022954

ESPN has removed a sports commentator from covering an American football game in Charlottesville because he has the same name as Civil War General Robert E Lee.

Robert Lee was scheduled to cover a University of Virginia game in the city for the broadcaster on 2 September.

ESPN said it had moved Mr Lee "simply because of the coincidence of his name".

White nationalists marched through the college during a rally this month.

The rally was organised to protest against the removal of a statue of General Lee, who commanded the pro-slavery Confederate forces during the American Civil War.

It descended into violent street brawls and one woman was killed when a car ploughed through a crowd of counter-protesters.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/22/robert-lee-espn-announcer-university-virginia-charlottesville

This is going completely Orwellian.  

• Poo 1

g5jamz    1,127

When the story was just the Wash Times, I felt that it had to be an Onion story being pushed as a real story.  

Now that it's real, it's completely a scene that could be taken from the movie Idiocracy.  

Cary Kollins    18,326

Very stupid. Not sure if they are trying to over correct for the terribly tone-deaf "live auction"?

Davidson Deac II    4,364

Well, there were people who when disagreeing with the removal of statues said what is next.  Now we know what is next.  Everyone with the last name of Lee, Jackson, or Stuart must change their name or face the public wrath.  Longstreet and Hill are ok for now because one cooperated with the North after the war and the other one was anti slavery.  

j/k :shades:

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Well, there were people who when disagreeing with the removal of statues said what is next.  Now we know what is next.  Everyone with the last name of Lee, Jackson, or Stuart must change their name or face the public wrath.  Longstreet and Hill are ok for now because one cooperated with the North after the war and the other one was anti slavery.  

j/k :shades:

Don't forget the haircut. Apparently certain haircuts are like gang signs for neo racists.  If you have anything close to resembling that or just happen to be growing it back after a chemo treatment you are fugged

• Pie 1

CRA    12,275

I think this is an example of the media making a story out of something.

ESPN already commented on it.  They knew this guy because of his name alone would bring about all sorts of memes and zoo like nonsense.  Robert Lee is coming to Charlottesville!!!   So they asked the guy about it, they talked about it....and they moved him to a better game.  They move guys all the time.  

Why pointlessly make the announcer the butt of memes and jokes and zoo like behavior when they can switch him and he agrees? 

What would you want your boss to do if you were the young announcer and they had the flexibility?  Move you to a different game or let you walk right into nonsense that could easily be avoided. 

I don't see that as political correctness.   It is not knowingly letting your young announcer get bogged down into nonsense that has nothing to do with him.  I'd say they were easily doing him, their employee, a solid.   

• Pie 1

g5jamz    1,127
17 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think this is an example of the media making a story out of something.

ESPN already commented on it.  They knew this guy because of his name alone would bring about all sorts of memes and zoo like nonsense.  Robert Lee is coming to Charlottesville!!!   So they asked the guy about it, they talked about it....and they moved him to a better game.  They move guys all the time.  

Why pointlessly make the announcer the butt of memes and jokes and zoo like behavior when they can switch him and he agrees? 

What would you want your boss to do if you were the young announcer and they had the flexibility?  Move you to a different game or let you walk right into nonsense that could easily be avoided. 

I don't see that as political correctness.   It is not knowingly letting your young announcer get bogged down into nonsense that has nothing to do with him.  I'd say they were easily doing him, their employee, a solid.   

because someone thinks like that and can't be above the idiocy...you coddle it.  The fact the idea ran through any ESPN executives head is a testament to PC culture.  

• Poo 1

cookinbrak    2,296

Wanna have some fun? Google "Charlottesville VA White Pages" and enter Robert Lee in the search box. I guess those people need to move or face the wrath of the ignorant.

Including Robert Li.

TheRed    18,264

It's stupid. But even more stupid is people like OP that use instances like this as a backwards means of justifying their views about the preservation of confederate monuments in prominent locations across our country.

Also, you can pretty much bet the farm that anyone who actively uses the term "PC culture" is in fact either a racist, or someone who continually goes out of their way to downplay racism or complain about racism against whites. Case in point, g5jamz.

Edited by TheRed
  • Pie 4
  • Poo 2