g5jamz

Right to Work scores victories in Wisconsin and West Virginia

Wisconsin

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/19/wisconsin-appeals-court-upholds-right-to-work-law-dealing-blow-unions/680684001/

The funny thing about the Wisconsin case was that the unions had the audacity to argue that the state constitution protected their cut of the worker's paycheck.  Essentially that they were deprived of property without compensation.  For the ignored and other mental midgets, they were arguing that a portion of every worker's paycheck was theirs by right and passing a law denying their cut was unconstitutional.  Remember...this is just to prevent workers from being denied a job because they are forced to pay union dues aka compulsory dues.  

West Virginia

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/west-virginia/articles/2017-09-15/west-virginia-top-court-clears-right-to-work-law

Here's the deal.  You like unions?  Great...join one.  It's your choice.  You shouldn't force anyone into a union to get a job...period.  If unions started doing what their intent was...representing their members at a bargaining table, fund work stoppages, boost pension and health programs, etc instead of being just a masked PAC for the liberal democrats...MAYBE...just maybe they'd be viable in the near future.  Forcing people to support a political party is NOT what people sign up for.  

I wouldn't mind paying dues as long as they're reasonable and if they are truly the Safetynet they say they are then I don't really see the problem is like people who have an extreme problem with taxes I don't have a problem with taxes as long as they're going to the right places don't waste the money I give you 

Just now, darrybear said:

I wouldn't mind paying dues as long as they're reasonable and if they are truly the Safetynet they say they are then I don't really see the problem is like people who have an extreme problem with taxes I don't have a problem with taxes as long as they're going to the right places don't waste the money I give you 

And that's fine.  If you were forced to pay dues and you knew millions were coming out of the union coffers and were going to a MAGA PAC for Trump, would you be opposed?  

How old are you G5? Can t wait until they replace you with someone young  and there is no union lawyers to fight them.

But you can always print these posts print them out and use them to keep your family warm. Get some respek

46 minutes ago, Gazi said:

How old are you G5? Can t wait until they replace you with someone young  and there is no union lawyers to fight them.

But you can always print these posts print them out and use them to keep your family warm. Get some respek

Read.  Want longevity protections...nothing stopping you from choosing to join a union to negotiate as a group.  I have no problems with that.  Don't make me do it as a condition of employment though.  And if I do not like the political funding, I should have the right to withhold that portion at the very least.

Perhaps the members of the union need to put in leadership to better represent them.

When the union does work to negotate to give proper breaks, make safety improvement, have better contracts and wages do the people that choose NOT to be part still get those perks?

I get the being against forced dues and joining but the union provides benefits to those that would choose not to participate and that is also problematic.

Internal union reform is the answer not bills that strip power away from unions.

1 hour ago, g5jamz said:

Read.  Want longevity protections...nothing stopping you from choosing to join a union to negotiate as a group.  I have no problems with that.  Don't make me do it as a condition of employment though.  And if I do not like the political funding, I should have the right to withhold that portion at the very agree about political funding but the other stuff you are aware that those who do not even pay dues are expected to get legal representation in case something happens just out like theeir Union Brothers

37 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

Perhaps the members of the union need to put in leadership to better represent them.

When the union does work to negotate to give proper breaks, make safety improvement, have better contracts and wages do the people that choose NOT to be part still get those perks?

I get the being against forced dues and joining but the union provides benefits to those that would choose not to participate and that is also problematic.

Internal union reform is the answer not bills that strip power away from unions.

This right here. If the two of us are paying dues and g5 is not, he still gets the benefits that we paid for.

I am very pro union have been in a union and have also been in management where the workforce is union and I see both sides. 

My take is that I agree in principle you shouldn't be forced to join the union but at the same time whether you join or not you still benefit from the unions bargaining power and that isn't right  

Ultimately i I also recognize that "right to work" laws have nothing to do with providing employees some personnel freedom in regards to union memebership but are rather just tools for large companies to reduce unions bargaining power which ultimately hurts the average joe.

If someone refuses to join the union they should also not benefit from any of the bargained for rights and be forced to negotiate on their own  

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, logic1977 said:

I am very pro union have been in a union and have also been in management where the workforce is union and I see both sides. 

My take is that I agree in principle you shouldn't be forced to join the union but at the same time whether you join or not you still benefit from the unions bargaining power and that isn't right  

Ultimately i I also recognize that "right to work" laws have nothing to do with providing employees some personnel freedom in regards to union memebership but are rather just tools for large companies to reduce unions bargaining power which ultimately hurts the average joe.

If someone refuses to join the union they should also not benefit from any of the bargained for rights and be forced to negotiate on their own  

Agree with this.

I'm pro union, but I do agree that you shouldn't have to pay or have your money go to a certain candidate or political party. If I don't support said party, then I should be able to withhold the portion that is going to said party. With that said, those who aren't in the union shouldn't get the benefits that the union negotiates. 

I just hate the environment that unions encourage or seems to create. It's an us vs them workplace; management vs the worker on the floor. I worked at a shipyard that builds military ships. I was a white hat or "upper management," and those workers on the floor hated us, and would snicker every time we'd walk by. I just remember doing time studies on the work floor and the shipbuilders screaming white hat as I walked by. It's kinda funny thinking about it now, but I understand why they felt the way they did. Seeing me or someone in my position standing on the floor for an extended period of time wasn't a good sign most the time.

15 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

this. We all know that income disparity is still going strong and it cant keep going like it is. Unions, warts and all, are the only really effective tool against this, precisely because they can get as dirty as the employers. G5 considers the rich being able to control the poor (and calling it "freedom") as some kind of cure for what ails us and he could not be more wrong.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, logic1977 said:

No progreessive can support right to work laws.   The sole goal is to reduce power to the workers.