Cam El

FBI probe uncovers massive college basketball scandal snaring big-time programs

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-probe-uncovers-massive-college-basketball-scandal-snaring-big-time-programs-144631716.html

The worst-kept secret in college basketball is how coaches, sneaker executives, sports agents, travel-team coaches and financial advisers, often through under-the-table payments, steer top high school talent first to NCAA programs and later to apparel brands and professional representation once they enter the NBA.

Tuesday, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York blew this shadowy world open in ways that have never before been seen, indicting 10 men, including active assistant basketball coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC, plus an executive for adidas, in a widespread case that is sure to rock college basketball to its core.

This will be interesting to watch. 

NCAA is a joke. They had "no idea" something like this was going on, just like Pitino "had no idea" ......give me a break. 

Will be interesting to see how big this iceberg could be. These guys facing serious prison time are white collar, pampered, entitled guys who probably thought they weren't doing anything wrong. The question isn't "if" they will start singing and spilling the info, the question is when. You can probably make a bet in Vegas on which one of the ten facing charges will do it first. 

Also, Marvin Bagley (with documented academic issues) was being courted heavily between USC, UCLA, and Arizona (2 of which have been named in FBI case) only to suddenly reclassify 3 weeks before school starts and is incredibly able to jump a grade and gain admission to one of the hardest schools in the country to get in to (Duke).  Hmmmmmmmmm. 

I'll refrain from accusations because UNc has their own problems to deal with and certainly wouldn't surprise me if their name gets brought up by someone in this FBI crap, but the Bagley to Duke thing has smelled fishy since the beginning. Giles turned out to be a college bust but there were some suspiscious activity around him and his recruitment as well. 

Pitino and the athletic director are out at Louisville.  Louisville has certainly had its share of scandals since joining the ACC.  Hookers for recruits, obtaining other teams game plans, and now this.  

South Carolina and Miami are two other schools expected to be charged. 

Thank god it's not North Carolina.

Also LOL to everyone who has been shitting on UNC acting like they were the only university to be involved in shady stuff for college sports 

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

Also LOL to everyone who has been shitting on UNC acting like they were the only university to be involved in shady stuff for college sports 

the "rat" in this story, the CI working for FBI (financial planner), is the same guy who played a big part in getting UNC football in trouble 7-8 years ago. The stuff with Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, and the WR who played for the Browns for a couple years and isn't in the league anymore. Forgot the dude's name. UNC pretty much did everything they could to disassociate themselves with everyone involved and I'm pretty sure that this dude isn't allowed within 100 miles  of CHapel Hill. He was involved with a very similar instance at UNC, I believe he was giving money to one of the assistant coaches and they were giving money to the players as a "promise" that they would do business with him once they got to the NFL. I may be mistaken on some of that but I think that was essentially what was going on, and it cost UNC dearly. Basically got a coaching staff fired, kicked like 10 people off the team (including what looks like will be one of the best players to ever come through CH in Robert Quinn), scholarship losses, and it started this whole "fake classes" crap which we are still dealing with today.

The entirely bias, and UNC hating N&O has already put out another hit piece against UNC out hoping it will gain traction. I won't link it here because I discourage people from giving the N&O clicks, but it basically rehashes what I mentioned above and starts talking about the "fake classes" crap again and essentially trying to get sh!t stirred up again. I'm surprised we haven't had another Kane Klassic come out yet from Dan Kane where he speculates and basically writes a completely one sided editorial. 

When this is all said and done though - I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA tourney consists only of Russell Athletic sponsored teams and low mid majors for a year or two. No team (UNC and Duke included) should be sleeping well for the next couple of months. 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, 4Corners said:

the "rat" in this story, the CI working for FBI (financial planner), is the same guy who played a big part in getting UNC football in trouble 7-8 years ago. The stuff with Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin, and the WR who played for the Browns for a couple years and isn't in the league anymore. Forgot the dude's name. UNC pretty much did everything they could to disassociate themselves with everyone involved and I'm pretty sure that this dude isn't allowed within 100 miles  of CHapel Hill. He was involved with a very similar instance at UNC, I believe he was giving money to one of the assistant coaches and they were giving money to the players as a "promise" that they would do business with him once they got to the NFL. I may be mistaken on some of that but I think that was essentially what was going on, and it cost UNC dearly. Basically got a coaching staff fired, kicked like 10 people off the team (including what looks like will be one of the best players to ever come through CH in Robert Quinn), scholarship losses, and it started this whole "fake classes" crap which we are still dealing with today.

The entirely bias, and UNC hating N&O has already put out another hit piece against UNC out hoping it will gain traction. I won't link it here because I discourage people from giving the N&O clicks, but it basically rehashes what I mentioned above and starts talking about the "fake classes" crap again and essentially trying to get sh!t stirred up again. I'm surprised we haven't had another Kane Klassic come out yet from Dan Kane where he speculates and basically writes a completely one sided editorial. 

When this is all said and done though - I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA tourney consists only of Russell Athletic sponsored teams and low mid majors for a year or two. No team (UNC and Duke included) should be sleeping well for the next couple of months. 

greg little

20 hours ago, SOJA said:

UNC's issue went beyond sports.  The flagship University of NC did something that got it put on probation by the organization that accredits universities.  That is pretty high on the list of bad things that can happen to a University and is the kind  of thing that usually happens to schools that on the verge of collapse.  To my knowledge, that has never happened to any ACC school.  UNC probably should have gotten punished worse, although I suppose the academic embarrassment is pretty bad for a school that prides itself on its academic reputation.   

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

UNC's issue went beyond sports.  The flagship University of NC did something that got it put on probation by the organization that accredits universities.  That is pretty high on the list of bad things that can happen to a University and is the kind  of thing that usually happens to schools that on the verge of collapse.  To my knowledge, that has never happened to any ACC school.  UNC probably should have gotten punished worse, although I suppose the academic embarrassment is pretty bad for a school that prides itself on its academic reputation.   

LOL - I don't know why I am even responding to this post, but for the 1,000,000th time, the classes were not "fake." THey were independent studies courses that required a term paper to pass. Were they up to standards of UNC? probably not. But the narrative has been framed that that these were athlete classes that required no work, and athletes were given automatic As...which was not the case. They were easy courses that were made up of more non athletes than athletes, but def appeared to be easy and academic advisers probably suggested that athletes get in to them. Oh my God, it's the end of the world. Athletes who wouldn't be at UNC if not for their athletic abilities being pushed towards some easy classes that were available to the general public. I can guarantee you every single school in the country that is successful in sports has these. They have to. No different than the "sociology" courses the dookie players take for the 2-3 months that they are in durham. 

UNC is probably going to be hit pretty hard from the NCAA. The NCAA will gloat, and brag about how ethical they are and how they care about the student athlete model and pat themselves on the back on ESPN, CNN, the Weather Channel and any other news outlet that will let them on. Meanwhile, a massive conspiracy to commit bribes with coaches/players/shoe companies, and systematic corruption has been going on right under their nose for decades and they had know idea about it. LOL yeah right the NCAA didn't know about it just like Pitino didn't know about it. 

Once the unfair penalties are levied against UNC, UNC will immediately seek an injunction and take the NCAA cartel to court which, of course, the NCAA will lose. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

To hold an entire university accountable for one tutor's actions is asinine. It would be like holding the United States government responsible for a state government official's actions. 

BTW ask 99% of the mouthbreathers who cry "But FAke Clasessss!!!!" to go get the same degree I did from UNC, most of them wouldn't make it past the first semester 

• Pie 1