d-dave

Star Trek: Discovery

Episode 4 has come and gone. General thoughts:

- I've heard some grumblings that Michael is reminding them of early TNG Wesley Crusher. While I can't necessarily agree to that, I do feel her bio is something I'd expect out of someone's bad fan fiction. To me, the issue is that the show is trying to focus its attention on her but unlike Spock, doesn't have a Kirk or McCoy to balance out her character right now. 

- Related to the first point, who are the crew of the Discovery? Other Treks have tried to give their main characters some screentime to at least get a basic idea of who they are. You tell me everyone on the Discovery's bridge right now because I can't. This needs to be rectified soon because it's hard to care for what my mind perceives as redshirts.

- Speaking of redshirts, Commander Landry, we hardly knew thee. Well, except for being such an insufferable character in her brief time on the show that I cheered when her utter stupidity got her killed. On the flip side, she would've been a more interesting character to flip over because Stamets might be the one in that role and he's a bit dull for me (although he has two funny moments in this episode).

- The Spore Drive is... interesting. My gut feeling is that it's something that won't be used much longer, though.

- To paraphrase alternate universe Picard, "Children on Corvan 2? People, we're at war!" I did find that situation a little overplayed but I generally enjoyed the sequence and the music. Oh, and for a supposed science vessel, the Discovery is no Grissom. 

- Every Klingon scene is hard to watch. The pacing is too slow and all that makeup is a hindrance to the performance. 

• Pie 1

the Klingons are worse than a halloween vampire.  I'd almost like to have the Gorn as the premium enemy at this point.

The show is ok so far in my opinion, not great. I love the T'Kuvma storyline and the Klingon following. But centering this series around one character will be it's downfall if they don't rectify it. As much as TNG had Picard, it never really centered around him...the same with Enterprise and Archer. Main characters for sure but other characters had their time and stories which was great. I don't know, maybe this will happen. 

Edited by Jimmy

23 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The show is ok so far in my opinion, not great. I love the T'Kuvma storyline and the Klingon following. But centering this series around one character will be it's downfall if they don't rectify it. As much as TNG had Picard, it never really centered around him...the same with Enterprise and Archer. Main characters for sure but other characters had their time and stories which was great. I don't know, maybe this will happen. 

there is already talk about this being an anthology series.  which btw is something I have said all along. Jump all around the timelines. I'd love to to see a modern ST season set in the original timeline. but we are so jaded now, nobody wants colors anymore.

1 hour ago, Jangler said:

there is already talk about this being an anthology series.  which btw is something I have said all along. Jump all around the timelines. I'd love to to see a modern ST season set in the original timeline. but we are so jaded now, nobody wants colors anymore.

Can we at least go to the Beta or Charlie Quadrants...I mean for real..I bet there are some really nice people living there...would make for a kinder, more gentle ST

I'm enjoying the show, just managed to watch the latest episode.  I am always excited for what's coming up next.

I like the Lorca character as a major contrast to every other star fleet leader we've seen (mostly, a few bad eggs).  I'm curious about the whole alternate reality, and if it will end up that Lorca takes the discovery with it's instant travel to this alternative universe for their war.

As far as Michael's character getting all "Wesley Crusher," I don't see that yet.  They set things up for her to be understood as one of the best officers in Star Fleet, hence why she's solving many of the problems.  I think that's been a strong point of the writing, it's not a Deus Ex Machina (yet); but a logical extension of her character.

As far a the Klingons, I hate the pacing.  Everything is so UBER melodramatic.  I love the design, I love the story, but the execution is too slow.  The eating of Captain Georgia(via dialogue) was a great moment, but got lost in how slow the scene went.

On 10/12/2017 at 7:24 AM, d-dave said:

I'm enjoying the show, just managed to watch the latest episode.  I am always excited for what's coming up next.

I like the Lorca character as a major contrast to every other star fleet leader we've seen (mostly, a few bad eggs).  I'm curious about the whole alternate reality, and if it will end up that Lorca takes the discovery with it's instant travel to this alternative universe for their war.

As far as Michael's character getting all "Wesley Crusher," I don't see that yet.  They set things up for her to be understood as one of the best officers in Star Fleet, hence why she's solving many of the problems.  I think that's been a strong point of the writing, it's not a Deus Ex Machina (yet); but a logical extension of her character.

As far a the Klingons, I hate the pacing.  Everything is so UBER melodramatic.  I love the design, I love the story, but the execution is too slow.  The eating of Captain Georgia(via dialogue) was a great moment, but got lost in how slow the scene went.

Alternate reality? My understand was that everything we're seeing is in the Prime universe. 

Lorca is certainly an interesting character. He's certainly a mismatch being the captain of a science ship with a crew that isn't suited for a combat role. I'm curious to see whether he'll either start to mellow a bit like Captain Picard or ends up being more of an antagonist.

I see the setup but it's a bit too much for me (human raised in Vulcan by Sarek, overly intelligent, special first name, praised by many, figures out Ripper's true nature, etc). I'm not saying it can't be pulled off but even in-universe, Vulcans come off as annoying to others. Like I mentioned before, Michael needs other characters around her so that it doesn't become the same for the viewer. We're not there yet.

You might've hit it on the head with the Klingons. The scenes just drag on forever even though the actual time says otherwise. 

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

Alternate reality? My understand was that everything we're seeing is in the Prime universe. 

There has been no defiant answer. To me for this storyline to work, it has to be in the Kelvin universe. A one season story with one main character.

From the Interwebs...you decide:

The other issue that has sparked ever since Discovery‘s trailer first aired is the question of what timeline the series is set in. Discovery‘s producers – original showrunner Bryan Fuller (Hannibal), who parted ways with the series last year over creative differences, and current executive producers Alex Kurtzman (The Mummy), Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts (Pushing Daisies) – have each insisted Discovery takes place in the Prime Timeline of Star Trek. However, the visuals of Discoveryalone lend some doubt to that claim.

Star Trek: Discovery is a prequel series set approximately 10 years before the Original Series’ first five year mission of Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) and the Starship Enterprise. This also places Discovery roughly a century after the Captain Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula)-led Star Trek: Enterprise in the Prime timeline. While Discovery‘s cool and sleek starship design and blue uniforms do aesthetically meld as continuations of the designs of Star Trek: Enterprise, its visual style and bombastic special effects seem to make it more akin to the J.J. Abrams-produced Star Trek films, which are set in the rebooted Kelvin timeline.

If it is truly the Prime timeline than the spore drive doesn't make sense.

• Pie 1

Fuller is already out. 

Star Trek: Anthology is the way to go. You can jump all around the timelines, decades and centuries. 

The best thing that came from AHS, it showed Hollywood you can do 1 season storylines and keep ratings.

ST: Anthology can do 6 episode stories or episodes like Twilight Zone.