Jump to content
d-dave

Star Trek: Discovery

Recommended Posts

If Trek never does another time episode/movie, I'll be happy. It's just another way to do nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you know what's missing in Trek?

 

 

hippies

 

 

 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

 

Isn't it obvious?

not to me apparently, other than the fact that Stella kind of makes a reappearance years later... They all know he is a dangerous ruthless man who would sell out the Federation for money, shouldn't they lock him up and try him for treason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw the latest episode.  I just wasn't a fan.  Way too contrived.  I mean, I still like the show, but Mudd's character is just a little much.  I mean, he really was just able to convince the Klingons "Oh yeah, I can tots get the Discovery for you. First, let me get some game changing tech which would make is super easy to take over the entire universe!"

Super contrived.  Painfully contrived.  Did I mention contrived?

I still like the show, but this felt like a weak episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, d-dave said:

I just saw the latest episode.  I just wasn't a fan.  Way too contrived.  I mean, I still like the show, but Mudd's character is just a little much.  I mean, he really was just able to convince the Klingons "Oh yeah, I can tots get the Discovery for you. First, let me get some game changing tech which would make is super easy to take over the entire universe!"

Super contrived.  Painfully contrived.  Did I mention contrived?

I still like the show, but this felt like a weak episode.

Personally, it would've made more sense if Mudd had conned the Klingons himself and got ahold of his device to escape. He'd still go after the Discovery but he'd have a different buyer instead.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Already approaching the midseason break... or is it technically the end of one season? All I know is that it went by too fast. I think we needed at least three more episodes to flesh out things more, especially with the Discovery crew itself. Then again, many of them may die soon.

Onto the latest episode itself...

- In this Trek, no shields and you're absolutely dead. That and we don't see much of the Trek cliche of exploding panels and whatnot. 

- I rather enjoyed the initial battle sequence. It reminded us that, yes, there's a war being fought out there and that it's not looking too well. In a twisted way, I was hoping that the torpedoes slipped through the saucer's gaps.

- So we can have nice looking ships like the USS Gagarin but they gave us USS Discovery as the lead ship? Why?

- A point that irks me is that Culber isn't already monitoring Stamets every time he's using the spore drive. Heck, he wasn't even there when Michael went out on that shuttle ride to reach Sarek. Do your job, man!

- L'Rell and the admiral screaming was hilarious. The subsequent dialogue was not quite what I was expecting and I mean that in a good way.

- So is the admiral actually dead, did she escape or what? I'm utterly confused what the deal is here.

- I really hope that Tyler isn't a straight up traitor angle because it doesn't reconcile with what we've seen. My final prediction is that Voq's consciousness is somehow inside the real Ash Tyler. The initial plan may have been to be a double agent of sorts but the process may have been too much for Voq. He can't deal with what he's become and if the plan is still active, it's on shaky ground. 

- So was Saru running really the actor, a stunt double or was that CGI? Whatever it was, those Kelpians have some moves! 

- Like Geordi on TNG and O'Brien on DS9, Saru must suffer on Discovery. It's hard not to feel for him, to have a Nexus-like moment only for it to be taken away.

- Like I said in the beginning, it feels like we're reaching this point of the series too soon. I'm not overly excited about the next episode like I should be.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

L'Rell and the admiral screaming was hilarious. The subsequent dialogue was not quite what I was expecting and I mean that in a good way.

- So is the admiral actually dead, did she escape or what? I'm utterly confused what the deal is here.

- I really hope that Tyler isn't a straight up traitor angle because it doesn't reconcile with what we've seen. My final prediction is that Voq's consciousness is somehow inside the real Ash Tyler. The initial plan may have been to be a double agent of sorts but the process may have been too much for Voq. He can't deal with what he's become and if the plan is still active, it's on shaky ground. 

I will say, the interrogation sequence was a nice turn.  I get that she's really mad and wants revenge against the Big Bad Klingon, but she did get her face busted up in the escape with Lorca and Tyler.  I kind of hope that the admiral isn't actually dead.  Seeing the torn up bodies of the other Klingons was gross, but poignant.  There's a lot more to that story angle, and I want that.  My hope is that they are dragging our Interrogator to the room where the admiral is, but she's not dead, and she helps her escape.  Having the admiral back, and a Klingon defector would put some real pressure on the Discovery's mission.

If Tyler had Voq's personality imprinted, that would be interesting to a degree.  But at the same time, how did Tyler pass any kind of tests they have to give to someone who's been in captivity too long?  How would Voq come out?  Will Tyler be used to end Big Bad Klingon's reign, and somehow win the war for the Empire over the Federation?  Seems like Voq would be in a really tough spot.  I would think that Voq might become part of Tyler's personality, and when Tyler runs into people from his past, they can talk about how much he's changed.

I'm still really excited for future episodes, but I think this is the end of season 1.  I am really looking forward to season 2, I just hope they are able to better connect the stories together.  There's SO MUCH potential here!

 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




It's just the fall break, it'll be back in Jan.    Season 2 already green-lit as well.   

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zaximus said:

It's just the fall break, it'll be back in Jan.    Season 2 already green-lit as well.   

Sweet, I'm glad for more!  

I'm also stoked to see both this and the Oreville get second seasons.  Maybe we're back to dreaming about space, the future, and being the best humans we can be?  Maybe these are those shows, but anything is better than yet another crappy reality show or cop drama!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 1:23 AM, outlaw4 said:

So we can have nice looking ships like the USS Gagarin but they gave us USS Discovery as the lead ship? Why?

a friend of mine actually did the design and nomenclature work for the ships on Discovery. Talk about not able to make anyone happy - he is one of the foremost Trek designers and has a keen grasp of aviation history, and can work with network suits OK, but in the end what the money people want the money people get, and Discovery is a ship that fits the screen format well, has motion built into the ship (like Voyagers warp nacelle move which was a last minute producer request) and is different enough from the other ships to be immediately recognizable on screen with other ships present.

Someone did this nice graphic and John said it was all correct so you Trek nerds enjoy.

 

 

STD.jpg

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 5:32 AM, cookinwithgas said:

a friend of mine actually did the design and nomenclature work for the ships on Discovery. Talk about not able to make anyone happy - he is one of the foremost Trek designers and has a keen grasp of aviation history, and can work with network suits OK, but in the end what the money people want the money people get, and Discovery is a ship that fits the screen format well, has motion built into the ship (like Voyagers warp nacelle move which was a last minute producer request) and is different enough from the other ships to be immediately recognizable on screen with other ships present.

Someone did this nice graphic and John said it was all correct so you Trek nerds enjoy.

 

 

STD.jpg

Money people really should use that money for new eyes or simply give designers more leeway. The Discovery's saucer is something I could live with but with a different secondary hull. It's far too bulky and too flat, as though someone took the Excelsior model and stepped over it.

What I am curious is how the Constitution class looks in Discovery. If they claim this is the Prime universe, it can't be like Enterprise in the Abrahms movies. I find it hard to believe that we won't see it at all in the series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Discovery hull is a direct homage to a design study Ralph McQuarrie, who was the original concept illustrator for Star Wars and worked for Boeing, did for an aborted Star Trek movie called "Planet of the Titans":

 

f06f57ba9e9fdce28621540477ceeaec.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      18,880
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    GeauxSainz
    Joined
  • Topics

×