• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d-dave

Star Trek: Discovery

On 11/8/2017 at 1:23 AM, outlaw4 said:

So we can have nice looking ships like the USS Gagarin but they gave us USS Discovery as the lead ship? Why?

a friend of mine actually did the design and nomenclature work for the ships on Discovery. Talk about not able to make anyone happy - he is one of the foremost Trek designers and has a keen grasp of aviation history, and can work with network suits OK, but in the end what the money people want the money people get, and Discovery is a ship that fits the screen format well, has motion built into the ship (like Voyagers warp nacelle move which was a last minute producer request) and is different enough from the other ships to be immediately recognizable on screen with other ships present.

Someone did this nice graphic and John said it was all correct so you Trek nerds enjoy.

STD.jpg

On 11/9/2017 at 5:32 AM, cookinwithgas said:

a friend of mine actually did the design and nomenclature work for the ships on Discovery. Talk about not able to make anyone happy - he is one of the foremost Trek designers and has a keen grasp of aviation history, and can work with network suits OK, but in the end what the money people want the money people get, and Discovery is a ship that fits the screen format well, has motion built into the ship (like Voyagers warp nacelle move which was a last minute producer request) and is different enough from the other ships to be immediately recognizable on screen with other ships present.

Someone did this nice graphic and John said it was all correct so you Trek nerds enjoy.

STD.jpg

Money people really should use that money for new eyes or simply give designers more leeway. The Discovery's saucer is something I could live with but with a different secondary hull. It's far too bulky and too flat, as though someone took the Excelsior model and stepped over it.

What I am curious is how the Constitution class looks in Discovery. If they claim this is the Prime universe, it can't be like Enterprise in the Abrahms movies. I find it hard to believe that we won't see it at all in the series. 

The Discovery hull is a direct homage to a design study Ralph McQuarrie, who was the original concept illustrator for Star Wars and worked for Boeing, did for an aborted Star Trek movie called "Planet of the Titans":

f06f57ba9e9fdce28621540477ceeaec.jpg

So if tonight was the fall finale what is the start back day in the spring?

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

So if tonight was the fall finale what is the start back day in the spring?

January 2018 according to the trailer at the end of tonight's episode.

I'll give my thoughts on the fall finale and the series so far later but in short, I will keep watching. There is a lot of improvements needed, however.

The interesting thing to me is that as the shows have progressed, they've become more in line of how Star Trek as a show has worked all these years, but with more complex characters and situations. Almost like the Orville.

Transporters are still odd, you can forget beaming the Klingon knife with you, but if a Klingon jumps on your back, she's coming for the ride

I've really enjoyed this show.    I think it's been far better than what I thought it would be.    When my biggest gripe is the Klingons, you realize it's a pretty good show.  

The cliffhanger has theories out that Lorca is from mirror universe, collecting all that data throughout season to get back to where he needs to go, or we've just reached mirror universe, one or the other.   

About that fall finale:

- Kinda weird for Lorca to object to Michael going onto the Klingon ship

- The whole "ship working together as one" deal didn't quite work for me because, you know, most of those faces on the bridge are just that.

- Tilly unintentionally revealing more than what Dr Culber knew was hilarious.

- Of course Tyler was going to run into L'Rell. Everything else was rather... jarring. At this juncture, it's hard to see how there isn't a connection between Tyler and Voq but the how is still up in the air. 

- The solution to figure out the cloak is pretty much what I would expect from Star Trek, for better or worse, down to the massive sensors that no one somehow spotted.

- Kol, we hardly knew thee. 

- How many things got wrapped up nice and tidy (Tyler/L'Rell, getting back admiral, Michael's redemption, destroying Ship of the dead right as Michael/Tyler reaches the bridge) annoyed me. In fact, many things lined up too well for plot convenience throughout the series so far and that's one of my pet peeves.

- One more jump? Oh, geez. I wonder what's going to happen.

- The final tease confused me more than enticed me. They're someone I can't even identify even though I'm certain it's some alternate universe (mirror or maybe Discovery was never in the Prime timeline until now) or at a different time. I also believe that Lorca knows exactly where they are and he's just playing dumb.

Whatever direction Discovery heads off into, everything I've seen so far is interesting enough to stay on board. Considering how all Trek series other than the original struggled with their first seasons, it has potential to reach a high ceiling.

Didn't even realize Discovery was back until an hour before it started up again. Need to watch it a second time but the episode had my attention all the way through and salvaged an otherwise bad Sunday. Still has its flaws but definitely had that sense that this was a much more polished product. 

here we go again....changing Star Trek history, even Star Trek mirror history.

unless...

The only way this works is in the kelvin universe.

I ended up really enjoying this show. I got pretty annoyed with a few episodes left and took a break but the next episode satisfied. I'm looking forward to next season. 

Anyone listen to Star Trek podcast? 

I listen to the Greatest Gen. They did a show for each TNG. They are in the middle of doing DS9 and they did a show for each Discovery episode. It's a lot of fun. http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-discovery?page=1