ReekRhymesWithFleek

Devin Funchess is officially the Panthers' #1 receiver

It's fitting that Devin Funchess established himself as Carolina's #1 receiver in a victory where he scored two touchdowns. With 9 targets against the Patriots, Funchess now has been targeted 27 times this season. This puts him on pace for 108 targets, which would put him in line with Steve Smith in 2013 (109 targets). Funchess had been targeted 59 and 64 times in his first two seasons respectively so needless to say, this is a big leap for him. 

(Side note: I think it's notable Cam looked for Funchess on a key 3rd down on the GW drive when they needed it most.)

Conversely, Kelvin Benjamin, who was targeted an obscene 146 times his rookie season and 118 times last year, is on pace for just 76 targets in 2017. It seems likely that Benjamin will get more looks than he has as the season goes on, but this trend to start the season is difficult to ignore.

Obvious point, but one still worth noting: when I say Funchess is Carolina's #1 receiver, I strictly mean wide receiver. Christian McCaffrey, who's on pace for 116 targets this year, and (when he returns) Greg Olsen, who has averaged 117 targets per season the last five years, are obviously the primary receiving threats in this offense. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Don't teams usually cover well the WR1 so WR2 would naturally get more looks?

But yeah, I agree with you.

KB missed most of the Saints game so any “on pace” stats are misleading for him

• Pie 5

oh and Funchess would have had a 3rd TD if Cams had seen him wide open on another series.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Bartin said:

KB missed most of the Saints game so any “on pace” stats are misleading for him

Ahhhhhh, you're right. Huge brainfart on my end. 

In the 3 non-Saints games: 

Kelvin Benjamin -- 17 targets
Devin Funchess -- 17 targets

So I stand corrected 

He's coming into his own. Kid is actually putting it together and teams will start focusing on him. Funny how CMC has not even done much but gets major respect. Teams will shift to Funchess and then CMC will shine. 

• Pie 4

Personally loved them sprinkling in some Fozzy too.  Get him some touches and get Samuel back and producing a we cool till Thor gets back.

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Davis83 said:

oh and Funchess would have had a 3rd TD if Cams had seen him wide open on another series.

Broke that dude's ankles

• Beer 1