rayzor

Lions wary of Cam Newton's running: 'I don’t think he can beat us throwing the ball'

Not as big of a diss IMO as the headline suggests.

they clearly recognize what a beast he is.  

The last comment where all the emphasis is is really simple.  Can they stop the run and make us beat them with the pass? Carolina hasn’t shown this year they can beat teams when one dimensional.....and despite the NE game, don’t have that diverse of a passing attack.  That isn’t just a Newton comment. Olsen is out. We have a vertical pass attack with no vertical WR. So have we proven we can beat people just throwing to our TE-esque WRs and CMC? I don’t think good teams should think we can beat them if we get put in that box.  More than a Cam comment 

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

Not as big of a diss IMO as the headline suggests.

they clearly recognize what a beast he is.  

The last comment where all the emphasis is is really simple.  Can they stop he run and make us beat them with the pass? Carolina hasn’t shown this year they can beat team when one dimensional.....and despite the NE game and don’t have that diverse of a passing attack.  That isn’t just a Newton comment. Olsen is out. We have a vertical pass attack with no vertical WR. So have we proven we can beat people jus throwing to our TE-esque WRs and CMC? I don’t think good teams should think we can beat them if put in that box.  More than a Cam comment 

Yeah, just like anywhere else the title of the article was clickbait, but not really the tenor of the article itself.

I think you nailed it. These guys know Cam is a dual threat beast and he's at his best when he's firing on all cylinders, run game helps passing game and vice versa. You take the run game away and it makes him less of a challenge. Cam and this offense needs to run to be successful. Can they win with the run game shut down? Maybe, but the best chance the Lions have at beating us is if they can shut the run game down.

Many teams have proven this thought process correct. If they can get ample pressure on Cam this will be a Panther L 

• Poo 1

47 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Yeah, just like anywhere else the title of the article was clickbait, but not really the tenor of the article itself.

ClickBait.jpg

• Pie 3

33 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Many teams have proven this thought process correct. If they can get ample pressure on Cam this will be a Panther L 

Same goes for every QB in the league. How do you beat Aaron Rodgers. Get pressure and don't let him escape. 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I think you nailed it. These guys know Cam is a dual threat beast and he's at his best when he's firing on all cylinders, run game helps passing game and vice versa. You take the run game away and it makes him less of a challenge. Cam and this offense needs to run to be successful. Can they win with the run game shut down? Maybe, but the best chance the Lions have at beating us is if they can shut the run game down.

The difference last week was you have to throw to set up the run and we did. 

20 hours ago, Daeavorn said:

They are kind of right though. This week Cam had a good game and he rushed more times than weeks 1-3 combined. If they shut down his running he may have a bad day passing.

So...if they are accounting for Cam running...that open up something else...right?  Go ahead Lions....risky for ya either way.

22 hours ago, TN05 said:

Ah, the usual "spy Cam Newton and double-team Olsen strategy", minus Olsen.

It’s evolved to “contain Cam and bracket CMC”, every armchair DC knows that. 

Cam Newton 2016 stats

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13994/cam-newton

Matt Stafford 2016 Stats

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/12483/matthew-stafford

Not sure why Panthers fans thinks Newton is a huge advantage, I would take Stafford if given the choice. 

Should be a close game, with the deciding factor going to the Lions because of a better special teams unit (aka Prater). 

• Poo 3

As long as our Defense shores up their assignments, we'll be okay. I know we haven't allowed a hundred yard rusher yet but the way it is looking, it won't be long. I still think we win. Well, hope is the term that probably should be here.