hepcat

The actual question Jourdan Rodrigue asked Cam Newton

Greatly overshadowed by Cam Newton's inappropriate response is that the question Jourdan Rodrigue actually asked was pointless. Everyone I've seen react to this situation calls it a "legit question" she asked. Did anyone actually read the question? What she actually asked was barely a question to begin with.

"I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well." - This is a statement. A very obvious one. This didn't need to be said.

"Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes...and getting those extra yards." - She makes another statement. I'm not quite sure what she's getting at here, because every route is physical. A post is a post for Kelvin Benjamin or Christian McCaffrey, and players are expected to fight for extra yards on every play. 

"Does that give you a little bit of enjoyment to see him truck-sticking people?" - Here's the actual question. Does Cam enjoy watching Devin Funchess playing well? Of course he does. She answered the question for him in her first statement. 

It's the responsibility of the reporter to ask engaging questions that elicit more of a response than just a basic "yes and no". She could have asked:

"How do you feel about Devin Funchess's breakout game?"

"Devin Funchess had a physical game and added some extra yards after the catch. Talk about his development?"

None of this excuses Cam's response. I've said many times he needs to apologize. But, the question she asked was also pointless. Just saying.

“Truck-sticking?” 

What a dumb thing to say. And a dumb question right after. 

I honestly don’t give a hoot about any questions asked before or after games. What a bunch of hollow nonsense. 

Yeah, but let's not pretend the other reporters are asking better questions.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Jase said:

True

4 minutes ago, Jase said:

Upon reading this, my brain played out the following:

(John Madden in his normal stammering voice): "Cam, when you're out on the field there, the ball gets tossed around, you got receivers trying to get open and linemen giving you time. Do you like touchdowns?"

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Jase said:

right - most of the time they say something like "talk about when you blah blah blah..." instead of asking an actual question.

1 minute ago, AggieLean said:

Y'all don't need to tear this young lady down, man. Cam made a mistake, and he has to own it. 

You should go see the comments under anything she tweets now...

It's getting ugly

I swear I have no idea why people ever watch sports media.  Its a bunch of morons asking idiotic questions trying to justify their existence.  That goes for the local schmucks all the way to the ESPN assholes.  If you turn on the game (any game) right before it starts and then turn off the TV when whatever game(s) you want to see are done you will enjoy sports far more than if you subject yourself to all the irrelevant noise in between said games.  Don't say you haven't been advised. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

You should go see the comments under anything she tweets now...

It's getting ugly

Yea, and that's unfortunate. I feel for her, I really do. I don't think Jourdan is a racist, just like I don't think Cam is a misogynist. I don't like people going back and bringing up things in the past, because I hate how it's done to people of color when something tragic happens. This really should be on Cam, and Cam alone. He made the mistake.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Y'all don't need to tear this young lady down, man. Cam made a mistake, and he has to own it. 

im 100% with you on the people doing this because of what cam said. but what do you do with the people who don't feel a compulsion to defend cam at all costs, or to defend against accusations of sexism at all costs? i think these things should be treated separately but i don't think we should ignore what she's said