cookinwithgas

NC Republicans just voted to eliminate judicial primaries, just for next year, and no one can say why

The statewide judicial elections should not have been included,  but all others should until the redistricting is complete.  

Think about that. Primaries exist to winnow the field. Now that we won’t have any, you might have 20 people on the ballot running for Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court. Good luck making an informed decision.

How many people, republican, democrat, or other, make an informed decision anyway? A few days before the election, I tried to google all the judges that I was faced with voting for.  There was very little information on any of them.  I ended up voting for 1 or 2 that I managed to find some information on, and skipped the rest of them.  

The BIG problem is simpler: What if the public shoots down the constitutional amendment? Why would we decide today to cancel all the primaries before we know the outcome of a vote that might be held next year? (And how likely is the public to hand over its power to elect judges to the legislature, anyway? We only have a 29% approval rating.)

Let’s recap: We’ve cancelled the primaries for all of our judicial elections and no one can give us a good reason why. For the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court, no one can even come close to giving a good reason. It came out of nowhere — during a special session — and wasn’t allowed a committee hearing in the senate.

This is the type of thing you should have on your radar because it looks like the majority party is attempting to draw a net around the judicial branch. We could see judicial redistricting designed to favor Republicans, and/or a judicial selection process controlled by Republicans, and/or a deliberately chaotic general election process that would favor the re-election of a Republican Supreme Court Justice.

• Pie 1

Look at the judicial elections for Mecklenburg County alone...it's a mess.  It's been needed and it's barely been adjusted in decades.  It needs to adjust to the changing population.  Democrats were notorious in some of their actions in the past and this rights some of those wrongs.  Does it create new issues?  Maybe, but it's going to solve some glaringly obvious ones.  

Secret changes to primary elections that don't make sense and adds statewide elections to it have been needed. OK.

FYI, the link is coming from a Democratic senator's page.  He might be a tad bit biased.  

I see this as neither a bad or good thing.  If it is a move towards going away from voting for judges as some think

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article177327746.html

Then I am not really sure if that really matters in the long run.  I don't trust the legislature to make good choices, but then I dont trust voters to make them either. 

I am not so sure we shouldn't do away with primaries of all sorts.  Recent primary results have not been encouraging.  Maybe we were better off with the old system.

Jeff Jackson is the most intelligent politician I've read or heard from here in NC. His work to end gerrymandering are about as non partisan as a party member gets.