Jump to content
Car123

Does white privilege exist?

Recommended Posts

But, but, but race doesn't have anything to do with it, amiright?

This is why I fuggin laugh at white people who always tries to validate a black person getting gun down because "they didn't listen". Switch races, and this cop would have shot on his 2nd "get on the ground". White people love to think they get it equally as bad when it comes to police, they just have no idea WTF we have to go through, even with routine traffic stops.

I'm not saying some white people don't have it bad with police sometimes, but majority of the time they get the benefit of the doubt, while the majority of black people are gun down in this same incident.

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I think it absolutely does but I also think it's absolutely overblown. 

More than white privilege, we have socio-economic privilege. If you come from a respected family with money, you're in a much better position than someone who didn't regardless of race. That kid born in the backwoods of western NC to a family that hardly anyone has graduated HS much less college is in a tough spot and so is the inner city black kid in the projects. 

This mindset that everyone who is white is born with silver spoon in mouth with the world as his/her oyster is wildly ignorant. 

  • Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that I'm as white as the new fallen snow and had cops draw weapons on me twice before I was old enough to legally drink a beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it absolutely does but I also think it's absolutely overblown. 

More than white privilege, we have socio-economic privilege. If you come from a respected family with money, you're in a much better position than someone who didn't regardless of race. That kid born in the backwoods of western NC to a family that hardly anyone has graduated HS much less college is in a tough spot and so is the inner city black kid in the projects. 

This mindset that everyone who is white is born with silver spoon in mouth with the world as his/her oyster is wildly ignorant. 

I don't think you understand the basic idea of what white privilege is.

  • Pie 3
  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Floppin said:

I don't think you understand the basic idea of what white privilege is.

Yeah, I do. Some of it's legit. Some of it's bullshit. Do I think blacks are more likely to suffer from prejudice from cops? Yeah, I do. Do I think that impoverished white kid is at a disadvantage when pursuing scholarships and college admissions? Yeah, I do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I do. Some of it's legit. Some of it's bullshit. Do I think blacks are more likely to suffer from prejudice from cops? Yeah, I do. Do I think that impoverished white kid is at a disadvantage when pursuing scholarships and college admissions? Yeah, I do. 

You think scholarships and college admission offices discriminate against poor white people?

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




8 minutes ago, Floppin said:

You think scholarships and college admission offices discriminate against poor white people?

In essence, yes. There are lots of scholarships that are for minorities only. That means that yes, the minority candidates due have more opportunities for scholarships. This isn't controversial. It's documented fact. 

"If you’re a minority student, there are special scholarships available that can help you pay for college." 

https://www.salliemae.com/college-planning/college-scholarships/types-of-scholarships/minority-scholarships/

If you want to read up on racially biased college admission  processes, here's a pretty fair and pretty deep look into the process by an independent think tank:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/racial-and-ethnic-preference/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sure. whiteness doesn't mean you are privileged, it means the obstacles you face will never be related to your skin color, whereas that's not the case for people of color. super simple 

  • Pie 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

sure. whiteness doesn't mean you are privileged, it means the obstacles you face will never be related to your skin color, whereas that's not the case for people of color. super simple 

We all got problems. We should be allowed to deal with them. But try going to a county DSS office for help and being a certain color. They laugh at you.

Broke-ass white people have it harder than you will ever know. Not because of skin color. Cancer and insurance companies don't care. But apparently DSS workers do.

Edited by cookinbrak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I think a lot of people you know I am miss understand I misinterpret when people say privilege so I'm a give you the best example I can give you :

 I was raised in a two parent household my parents have been married my life and I have lived a middle-class life and still do. There are some things that I will never have to encounter and deal with  just because I am middle class. America does not like poor people, I know that may be a bold statement but in the commentary a lot of people make they make fun of anything that they deem low class(poor).  My step mom however lost her father when she was five and lost her mother when she was 15. Her sister took her in and took advantage and did all kinds of things she had to steal to get what she needed.  To this this woman has the problems because she never got a new pair shoes even though her sister was getting Social Security check for her. that is a struggle I will never know but that doesn't mean I don't  have my own struggles but to pretend that I don't have a safety net around me that I have nothing to do with its how other people treat me when they see my house when they see where I come from and the difference that they would treat someone who doesn't live where I live or who doesn't talk how I talk privilege has nothing to do with what you're doing and what you go through but how people treat you  and move around you.

 

Edited by darrybear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×