Hoenheim

So When is Curtis Samuel going to Make an Impact?

48 minutes ago, Snake said:

It really doesn't take much knowledge to run a go route or clear route and that's what we need him for. Decoy or not teams will have to respect his speed. I think that hamstring injury was big and he got even more banged up after that.

Responding to the question of when will he make an impact he'll need to do a little more than run decoy go routes.  If NFL offenses were that simple you would see every team just send their fastest guy tearing down the field.  The last thing you need is a guy getting a penalty because he didn't line up properly or limit your ability to audible or change play direction because a player doesn't fully understand his responsibilities.  I'm hoping he's getting closer to contributing in a big way, but the kneel on the return is just an example of why the coaches likely aren't ready to trust him to this point.

54 minutes ago, ItsPantone278 said:

Responding to the question of when will he make an impact he'll need to do a little more than run decoy go routes.  If NFL offenses were that simple you would see every team just send their fastest guy tearing down the field.  The last thing you need is a guy getting a penalty because he didn't line up properly or limit your ability to audible or change play direction because a player doesn't fully understand his responsibilities.  I'm hoping he's getting closer to contributing in a big way, but the kneel on the return is just an example of why the coaches likely aren't ready to trust him to this point.

3cc0d7437c2a35fd2b377c6c67c7c90d--connor

You do understand we run about the same complex offense as Urban Meyers at Ohio state right? With that said teams use guys all the time on simple decoy routes to make a safety commit. Tyrek Hill is a perfect example of that.  You might need to brush up on your football knowledge and then we might be able to talk about something Samuel actually struggles with. 

Edited by Snake

I'm not enjoying the use of him. He is being used in traditional routes over the middle, and bubble screens. As far as I can tell, they haven't sent him into Cam's prime zone (15 yards downfield) which would allow him to create more separation. My hypothesis is that Shula doesn't trust Cam to put the ball on such a short receiver at that distance. 

I think he has a good day returning kicks today. He's shown his explosiveness, just needs the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

3cc0d7437c2a35fd2b377c6c67c7c90d--connor

You do understand we run about the same complex offense as Urban Meyers at Ohio state right? With that said teams use guys all the time on simple decoy routes to make a safety commit. Tyrek Hill is a perfect example of that.  You might need to brush up on your football knowledge and then we might be able to talk about something Samuel actually struggles with. 

What Urban Myer runs at OSU has nothing to do with anything.  If the staff doesn't trust him on the field it could be for a number of obvious reasons.  As for my own football knowledge, I know enough to enjoy the game.  I certainly don't care to brush up on anything for a discussion with you.  Thanks for the offer tho.

He has to be more involved in practice to be more involved in the game. He will gradually get more plays tailored to him as the season progresses but that is all dependent upon him getting reps in practice. No different than cams situation.

41 minutes ago, ItsPantone278 said:

What Urban Myer runs at OSU has nothing to do with anything.  If the staff doesn't trust him on the field it could be for a number of obvious reasons.  As for my own football knowledge, I know enough to enjoy the game.  I certainly don't care to brush up on anything for a discussion with you.  Thanks for the offer tho.

So basically you have no idea what you're talking about but just wanted to feel that way. 

slide_320625_2997527_free.gif

Edited by Snake

13 minutes ago, Snake said:

So basically you have no idea what you're talking about but just wanted to feel that way. 

slide_320625_2997527_free.gif

Man you pick up on things quickly!  No wonder you so smart with the knows!  Bravo

1 minute ago, ItsPantone278 said:

Man you pick up on things quickly!  No wonder you so smart with the knows!  Bravo

thank-you-thank-you-ill-be-here-all-week

In 2017, Samuel will end up with 400 yards from scrimmage and a couple of TDs and half the board will call him a bust and the other half will blame Shula for not knowing how to use him.  In 2018, he will have 600 yards from scrimmage and 3 tds and half the huddle will call him a bust and the other half will blame Shula for not getting him enough touches.  In 2019, he will break out with 1000 yards running/receiving and 6 TDs.  Half of the huddle will wonder how we will be able to pay both he and CMC.  The other half will have moved on to calling our 2018 first rounder a bust.  (note - everyone would also be calling out 2019 first rounder a bust, but unfortunately Hurney traded that away for a 2018 second round LB/DE hybrid).