If you get on the Red Line, don’t go past Sox/35th if you’re not familiar with the city.

Yes, you look like a tourist.

Yes, you look like a target.

Pizza? you’re looking for Giordanos....Deep dish or thin crust. BOTH Chicago staples

Bars? Everywhere. Spin by the House of Blues is a great time. If you want to feel like Capone...the Cherry Room @ Chicago Athletic Association.  

Karaoke? Brando’s Speakeasy

Breakfast? Wildberry by Millennium Park. It will be a 30 minutes wait though.

Also, Gay bars have cheaper drinks. Just saying

Edited by J.Cage
  • Pie 2

Chicago gets a bad rap, but I think it is my favorite big US city. Tons to do, very accessible, relatively friendly people (compared to NYC, Philly, Boston, etc), affordable, and an all around great sports town. Visit if you ever get the chance.

My home town. Making a superb deep dish down here in CLT so I don't miss it as much just miss the fam.

Wrigley field is a MUST. Lived not to far from there as a kid. Went to many Cubs games back then.

As with many Cubs fans, I couldn't care less about the Sox or their 3A team here in Charlotte.

Go Cubs!

Bears are the big brother, Panthers, the team whose birth I witnessed, little brother.

Little brother has what it takes to make a deep run so....

Stayed in Wrigleyville this summer on Addison St...point blank, Chicago is fuging great. Can't speak to much since I was only there for a few days (and drove), but didn't have a single issue other than needing a few months to actually explore everything.

Giordanos, yes.  Chicago dogs and various meats in tube form, yes. 

I'm not even going to Chicago this weekend and I saved this post for when I inevitably visit in the future, great write up Squirrel

nb4tinderbox

Edited by Jangler
  • Pie 1

People really believe that? Folks, if you've been to training camp, you've been to a city more dangerous that Chicago. 

Great post/thread.  We need one of these in a Travel/Road Trip forum for every city (including Charlotte!)  

For Chicago, I'll throw in the following (YMMV, of course)

* prepare for the breeze off the lake. I've seen people walking around in shorts+scarves+mittens walking next to folks in full puffy down outfits.  

* There's some great restaurants over in Greektown, and at the Fulton Market area.

* Taking the train from Midway to the Loop is a breeze. Be sure to go to the bathroom before you leave baggage claim -- it feels like it's a 30min walk just to get to the train, let alone the 30-min ride in.  It's definitely a better ride than driving if there's traffic.   If you're doing one-way tickets, try to get your return tickets in advance so you're not queued up with everyone else trying to get tix from the vending machines when you're in a hurry to catch a train

* The Art Institute is worth it. Too bad they don't have Clown Torture on display anymore.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Delhommey said:

People really believe that? Folks, if you've been to training camp, you've been to a city more dangerous that Chicago. 

Lol, sorry but I find it hard to believe that a city of 27,000 is more dangerous than a city of 2.7 million.  Also, take note it's a lot easier to record violent crime in a small city.  There's also less homeless people as well.

Edited by CatTower

13 hours ago, ludwig51 said:

I got a cousin that lives in a town called north lawndale is that close to the stadium? 

It’s just a neighborhood that’s very west...you could be closer