bLACKpANTHER

Got a job offer..

I live in the DC, Northern VA area. Friday I received an offer from Booz Allen for about $15K more than what I currently make.
I like where I currently am at and like the people I work with a lot - but I'm a contractor and don't get sick time, etc. I receive a halfway decent benefits package but Booz benefits rock.

If I were making specific business decision it would be Booz - there's more room for growth and ability to get higher clearances, etc. But the commute is gunna be longer, I don't know the people I'd be working with - even though they sounded aiight over the phone. I just am really happy with the work I do and the people I work with. The commute is nice (for the DC area) and I'm able to be home by 4:30- 4:45 with the family.

I let my job know Friday before I left for the weekend that an offer had been made to me and I would hope for a counter offer. I will wait and see but - Am I being a dummy for not jumping ship and grabbing the money/benefits/everything??

Ideally, my current employer would bring me on as an employee and give me more $$$. That would make things so easy for me - but we are kinda in a freeze because we are in the midst of launching rockets and new satellites that are fuggin outta this world. It's crazy. My boss said she appreciated me telling her and said she would fight to keep me but doesn't know what "the powers that be" would allow her to do.

So again I ask - grab the cash or side with my heart??

Thanks for the replies....

1 hour ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

extra 30 minutes at least.

each way? and what do you do?

and (if you don't want to share, fine) what is your current salary? Is $15k/year a 33% increase, 25% increase, less, etc.?

Edited by thomas96

That is a very nice problem to have.  Congrats!! Please do not let anyone here influence you!!

Good luck with your process...it sounds like you would like your current company to step up with benefits, and I hope they do.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 1

Take the full time position.  Take the pay raise.  Take the benefits.

If the commute is a major issue, look at moving.

If you are making 150k....maybe it's not worth it...if you are making 50, it's absolutely worth it.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

80K jumping to 95K

Yea, you need to roll out....forget about knowing your coworkers, and the touchy feely part....take the money and run.

Don't know your tax situation, but you could be jumping tax brackets as well.  Just an FYI.

If there's no counter offer then roll out. 

I'd say you were smart to try for one though. A 20% increase for an extra hour of commuting is worth it, IF you don't hate the job.