Jangler

Is Football Dying? (nothing to do with ratings or over saturation)

The saddest part is i'm too old to get in when it's at it's decline. I'd love to make millions from a dying sport. Oh well sucks to have lived through the golden years.

1 hour ago, Jangler said:

really? 

single mother who need help raising a family. Plenty of players played football for one reason. To support a family.

Plenty of ways to support a family.

30 minutes ago, Nails said:

Can’t say baseball isn’t about the money too.  Baseball (which was my primary sport growing up) has too many games, lulls, and 4-5 hour marathons for the future.  Soccer is the future.  And I never thought I’d say that.

It's not as much, it really isn't.   You can watch and it feels different than NFL.   I watched over 150 games, full games of baseball this season, never once (even playoffs) did it come close to the commercialization as ONE regular season NFL game.    Obviously, they need to make money, but NFL sacrifices their quality for it.    MLB is trying to cut the games short actually, they've taken measures to lower time between pitches, innings, etc.     If they wanted to extend the games, they wouldn't be doing that.   

Soccer won't be the future in America because the best players aren't here and people don't want to watch MLS with inferior players.     If somehow they could get those players over here and make a real league it would be huge.    World Cup (RIP USA) is an easy way to follow and people love that, but soccer is just too spread out right now.  

1 hour ago, Jangler said:

really? 

single mother who need help raising a family. Plenty of players played football for one reason. To support a family.

Where do you draw the line then? Is an adolescent who sells drugs and robs people in order to support his family, then justified? Would you argue that he was forced into that life? If so, are you then inclined to reduce or even bypass legal punishment altogether, even if others were harmed (physically or financially) from it?

I’m not even necessarily leaning one way or the other, just genuinely curious what you think.

• Poo 1

38 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Either way, no need to question someone's intelligence when they see things differently than you do. "Forced" is a fairly elementary word that we all understand.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I was playing devil's advocate more than anything.

You are right, I recognize that I had a poor choice of words in that reply. It is something that I would have said in person but online it seems too bashy.

• Beer 1

I'm not sure if it's dying. There are a couple of things I do feel comfortable saying.

Proper tackling technique could do more to reduce concussions than all the technology in the world. Teach guys to wrap up rather than trying to get on ESPN with a big hit.

The bigger deal for me, though is that the people running the game at the highest levels are doing an absolutely piss poor job.

If football dies, it will be Roger Goodell and the owners who killed it.

• Pie 1

I have a 20 month old son, and I don't see us letting him play football when he's able to. I'm going to steer him into basketball and baseball.

2 hours ago, Jangler said:

Is Football Dying?

I read that same article and he makes a good point.  A lot of things lately going against the sport of football.  What got my attention is where he said that the educated people will quit the sport while the rest would look at the sport to gain wealth.  That's sad.  A persons health is more important than wealth.  At least in my opinion.

I think it's contrasting, but not dying.  It will likely get a few makeovers over the next 20 years....and survive...maybe like Boxing lately.

A few things that I think are affecting football negatively.

1:  Too slow.  Too many commercials, too many penalties, too many clock stoppages.  We are a society that wants everything faster.

2:  Too dangerous.  CTE, mangled joints and limbs, and in some college and high school levels, paralysis and death.  Not much has changed on any of that, but now we have access to the information in real time.

3:  Political.  Armed forces paying the NFL, kneeling, "forcing" citizens to pay for stadiums and stadium upgrades....etc.

4:  Saturation.  TNF, all day Sunday, and MNF....add in fantasy football, and the NFL is asking us to consume hours and hours of the product per week.

5:  Just too much negative attention.  Domestic abuse, Jerry suing the league, flip flopping on suspensions and Roger's power, guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed contracts, teams moving, etc...it's a nonstop barrage of negative.

6:  Level of play.  There are about 1/3 of the teams that I don't even want to watch try to play football.  Maybe we don't need 32 teams after all.

7:  Other sports.  When I grew up we didn't have swimming, lacrosse, soccer, etc. at our fingertips.  You had baseball, football, and basketball, and you could play all 3 if you wanted...but those were the options.  Now most of the kids I know play soccer or lacrosse...very few are playing football.

I'm sure I'm missing/forgetting a lot, but this has been on my mind this season, as I find myself much more interested in going fishing on Sunday vs. sitting on my couch all day....that has never happened.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Go back to leather helmets. 

Concussion problem solved immediately. 

Seriously, go watch a rugby match. Those guys tackle with their head up every time. Wrap up, proper technique, NEVER lead with their own head. Result: Much fewer concussions. 

Seacocks are trained to do rugby style tackles

I don’t see it completely dying out, but it’s losing its hold on the #1 spot and more and more kids are choosing other sports. Both my girl and I have decided that if and when we have a son, he won’t be playing, as I’m going to steer him to basketball & baseball.

This CTE stuff is scary. You have that, plus other freak injuries that lead to paralysis and limb loss. I think we’ll pass on that. I find myself losing interest in the sport all together, and haven’t watched a full game all year, completely missing 3 games. I honestly think I’m about done with the sport.