Jump to content
Saca312

Devin Funchess Compared To Rest Of NFC South WR1s

Recommended Posts

The Huddle was ready to cut Funchess in the off-season and now this. Testament to the fact that players need time to adjust to the NFL and only a couple players each year are ready to contribute immediately and these guys are the first off the board. 

  • Beer 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SeoulPanther said:

I don't mean to criticise him and you're right about NO's style of play. Nonetheless I expect he and the NO team and fans might have hoped for more. I guess what I'm saying is he hasn't clearly stepped into the WR1 role after the departure of Cooks, so as to be considered on the same level as Julio and Mike Evans.

Yes he has, but this is the problem with fantasy football. Don't just look at a statline, watch the game. Thomas is drawing doubles every week, Saints are throwing less, and he's on pace to do what he did last year, without the TDs because of the running game.

  • Pie 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, hsfolk said:

can't believe what a bust Julio has been for my fantasy team

Hasn't Julio been playing injured all season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few more touches per game with KB gone.

Cam is hitting his stride, hopefully let's keep him healthy.

Funch is young, but now has 2.5 years in the NFL under his belt, and that much time working with real coaches.

Stew playing better, and CMC helping move defenses around are helping Funch.

Funch getting closer to the end of his rookie contract.

 

All of those things combined, and we have a legit WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rags said:

It's really hard for me to say myself. There's a lot of good, young WRs in the leauge right now. Though my top three are Jones, Brown and Hopkins in that order. After that there's a valid argument for anyone after them.

I'm sorry, but while my opinion used to be Brown and Jones is a toss up for number 1, I'm of the opinion now Brown is CLEARLY better than Jones and I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Brown has way better hands and is way more consistent. I honestly can't fathom how people put julio above him at this point, as close as they still are, Brown definitely has the edge.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup been defending him for a while now saying he was young and he'd be fine. Welp.

Edited by Fox007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




13 hours ago, Saca312 said:

This fact alone makes me think Funchess hasnt even come close to his ceiling yet. Funchess was forced to perform his rookie season with the loss of Benji. i feel like it was almost natural to expect a sophomore slump from him last year as Benji came back and we struggled to put together an offense. Cam went back to staring Benji down, except that Benji was slowed by lingering pain. we all know the result was not good. enter 2017: Funchess quietly has a great camp, much to certain Huddlers' dismay, Benji is looking more like his rookie self, but Cam keeps staring his best buddy down and either trying to force it too much, or missing other wide open receivers. But this year Funchess has experience and can be trusted with a higher snap count (or at least the potential reward outweighs the risk). Benji gets traded and we see Funchess take off AND HES STILL YOUNGER THAN 2017 ROOKIES. at the rist of having to eat crow in a year or two or three, i think Funchess has the potential to be our Julio Jones. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UpstatePanther said:

This fact alone makes me think Funchess hasnt even come close to his ceiling yet. Funchess was forced to perform his rookie season with the loss of Benji. i feel like it was almost natural to expect a sophomore slump from him last year as Benji came back and we struggled to put together an offense. Cam went back to staring Benji down, except that Benji was slowed by lingering pain. we all know the result was not good. enter 2017: Funchess quietly has a great camp, much to certain Huddlers' dismay, Benji is looking more like his rookie self, but Cam keeps staring his best buddy down and either trying to force it too much, or missing other wide open receivers. But this year Funchess has experience and can be trusted with a higher snap count (or at least the potential reward outweighs the risk). Benji gets traded and we see Funchess take off AND HES STILL YOUNGER THAN 2017 ROOKIES. at the rist of having to eat crow in a year or two or three, i think Funchess has the potential to be our Julio Jones. 

He has that Moose and TO (without the cray) mix

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Something really interesting to think about this bye week.

  • Julio Jones (ATL): 49 Catches | 715 Yards | 14.6 YPC l 1 TD
  • Michael Thomas (NO): 59 Catches | 662 Yards | 11.2 YPC l 2 TDs
  • Devin Funchess (CAR): 43 Catches | 535 Yards | 12.4 YPC l 5 TDs
  • Mike Evans (TB): 40 Catches | 532 Yards | 13.3 YPC l 4 TD

From these stats, here's Funchess' hallmarks:

  • 1st the NFC South in touchdowns so far this season with five total.
  • 3rd in total yards and average yards per catch.

In the past two games where Funchess was a true WR1:

  • Julio Jones (ATL): 12 Catches | 175 Yards | 14.6 YPC l 0 TD
  • Michael Thomas (NO): 17 Catches | 182 Yards | 10.7 YPC l 0 TDs
  • Devin Funchess (CAR): 10 Catches | 178 Yards | 17.8 YPC l 2 TDs
  • Mike Evans* (TB): 6 Catches | 73 Yards | 12.2 YPC l 0 TD

So, based on these stats with Funchess as WR1...

  • 1st in the NFC South with touchdowns over the past two games (2).
  • 1st in the NFC South with average yards per catch over the past two games with an astounding average 17.8 YPC.
  • 2nd in the NFC South with total yards over the past two games, ahead of both Mike Evans and Julio Jones.

*In two games prior to suspension

So, just something to chew on...

 

Don't you dare bring objective fact based arguments to the huddle.

 

BAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

Yes he has, but this is the problem with fantasy football. Don't just look at a statline, watch the game. Thomas is drawing doubles every week, Saints are throwing less, and he's on pace to do what he did last year, without the TDs because of the running game.

And that has what to do with Funchess being effective? Thomas being double teamed...has nothing to do with it.

Get your paper bag ready, the Saints are about to go for a rough ride with the teeth of their schedule coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

And that has what to do with Funchess being effective? Thomas being double teamed...has nothing to do with it.

Get your paper bag ready, the Saints are about to go for a rough ride with the teeth of their schedule coming up.

I was referring to your statement that he hadn't stepped into his WR1 role, when he clearly has. He was our WR1 last year as well. There's not a receiver on the Saints making the impact that Thomas is. 

A bag joke. Original. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,111
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    Pi = 3.1SHutYoMouth!
    Joined
  • Topics

×