Paa Langfart

Work place drug test question

I have a friend who has been working for a company for several years as a food server.  She found out through the grape vine that very soon the employer is going to start testing employees for drugs.  As far as she knows she had never signed a paper to consent to doing this.  My question is does she have to take the test or does she have any legal grounds to not take it and still keep her job ?

I seriously doubt any company would drug test a food server.  Someone is f:cking with her.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Doyle said:

I seriously doubt any company would drug test a food server.  Someone is f:cking with her.  

Depends on the company. If you're talking about your typical fast chain like Applebee's or Olive Garden, not a chance in hell. Some of the higher end restaurants or high end caterers might depending on clientele. Also, if rumors have been whispered of someone dealing on site, it might be a plausible thing to do. I've had to do tests for that reason in other businesses. If you're not using, nothing to worry about unless it just feels like an invasion of privacy. 

Is your friend in NC? Because if so, this is a "right to work" state, meaning she can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. She can refuse to be tested, and they can fire her for it. Ain't America great?

• Pie 1

If you do food servers you would have to do kitchen staff as well, I would think.

I’ve been in the restaurant business for 15yrs as kitchen staff at various levels for about half dozen different places no corporate chains & nothing super high end and never did any of them drug test Anybody, unless you showed up whacked out or caused a problem at work where they suspected drugs/alcohol, everything was cool.

Wouldn’t surprise me really if it’s a corporate chain (doesn’t take much to work in those type of kitchens people are easily replaceable)

A super high end place MIGHT but it would usually be done before you started employment, very odd to do it out of the blue, if it’s true they are probably going to lose about 80% of their kitchen staff as well… just from my own experiences kitchen staff likes to get F**cked up ….LOL

• Pie 1

Any restaurant that drug tests is goddamned retarded. Say goodbye to about 95% of your staff.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

Where I used to live in Central Cali, every job had drug testing.  Both pre-employment and random.  Even in fast food.

But there was a big meth problem.

In my industry, it is very common and we also have to follow DOT rules.

They were always "witnessed" if there wasn't enough stage fright to begin with.  They recently stopped that.

If you don't use, no worries.  But if you did, it was hard to find work.

Edited by PanthaSan

17 hours ago, PurityControl said:

very odd to do it out of the blue

Yeah its strange but apparently some sort of big changes are going on within the company - its a conglomerate that owns a bunch of golf courses.

46 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Yeah its strange but apparently some sort of big changes are going on within the company - its a conglomerate that owns a bunch of golf courses.

Kemper Sports or the Lord Baltimore Group by chance?

13 minutes ago, Floppin said:

Kemper Sports or the Lord Baltimore Group by chance?

Wouldn't think so.....

26 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Wouldn't think so.....

Why do you say that?

1 hour ago, Floppin said:

Why do you say that?

Neither "own" a conglomerate of courses to my knowledge.

I could be wrong though.

My guess would be closer to McConnell Golf...but don't know his location.