R0CKnR0LLA

FCC to repeal Net Neutrality

F.C.C. Plans Net Neutrality Repeal in a Victory for Telecoms

"The Federal Communications Commission released a plan on Tuesday to dismantle landmark regulations that ensure equal access to the internet, clearing the way for internet service companies to charge users more to see certain content and to curb access to some websites.

The proposal, made by the F.C.C. chairman, Ajit Pai, is a sweeping repeal of rules put in place by the Obama administration. The rules prohibit high-speed internet service providers, or I.S.P.s, from stopping or slowing down the delivery of websites. They also prevent the companies from charging customers extra fees for high-quality streaming and other services."

Ending net neutrality will destroy everything that makes the internet great

"It sounds like a nightmare, but if a proposal unveiled by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) this week is enacted, this hellscape of extra fees, slow-loading apps and censorship could be the future of the internet."

If you want to see what America would be like if it ditched net neutrality, just look at Portugal

"(in Portugal) Users pay for traditional "data" — and on top of that, they pay for additional packages based on the kind of data and apps they want to use."

4ApKhOg.png

Former FCC Chairman calls it a "shameful sham and sellout" LINK

This is so scary for me as I’m about to launch my app. If we have to pay extra for our users to access the app (a photo service), there is no way in hell we can even get off the ground. 

Essentially it’s going to be an added cost to pay (bribe) ISPs to ensure users can access our content smoothly. 

Edited by CelibatePimp

16 minutes ago, CelibatePimp said:

This is so scary for me as I’m about to launch my app. If we have to pay extra for our users to access the app (a photo service), there is no way in hell we can even get off the ground. 

It will allows ISPs to do exactly that. Providers can tell website/app companies they have to pay them a 10 million dollar fee or else they're going slow their content (or block it altogether). The Googles and Facebooks of the world will just pay it and move on but any small upstart company is screwed.

I don't know how much of that will happen, or if the Telecom giants are mainly just going to screw consumers but this essentially let's the ISPs do whatever they want in regards to blocking content, charging extra for certain content, slowing sites/apps, forcing sites to pay to speed up access, ect. All protections of that nature would be completely gone.

Edited by R0CKnR0LLA
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

They really are playing with fire fuging with the internet.

not really, they have been playing with fire and everyone for the most part excuses and finds ways to overlook it.....so they just keep going. 

Trump is going to totally fug this country up and people know it.....and yet defend it him.  Or the Republicans in power act like they are too spineless and have no ability to shut his nonsense down.  

now imagine when Trump uses his AT&T deal mindset and applies it elsewhere.  Trump views everything as tool to either.....help himself or punish others.  He is very simplistic and people don't acknowledge this universally yet. 

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

who cares about the internet there are judges to appoint

people have totally overplayed the judges.....as justification for letting Trump destroy and attempt to distort everything else.  I'm not saying they don't matter.  I am definitely not downplaying them either.  

Just that those who use the courts/judges as the ultimate Trump defense.....is bringing weak poo to the game.  At least those who use that as justification now.  I get some not realizing how bad Trump would be and what he would be wanting to do.....but it is pretty much known now to those who don't intentional stick their head in the sand. 

Getting the courts "fixed" isn't worth Trump.  I get someone taking that argument when casting their vote.....not now though. 

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

people have totally overplayed the judges.....as justification for letting Trump destroy and attempt to distort everything else.  I'm not saying they don't matter.  I am definitely not downplaying them either.  

Just that those who use the courts/judges as the ultimate Trump defense.....is bring weak poo to the game.  At least those who use that as justification now.  I get some not realizing how bad Trump would be and what he would be wanting to do.....but it is pretty much known now to those who don't intentional stick their head in the sand. 

Getting the courts "fixed" isn't worth Trump.  I get someone taking that argument when casting their vote.....not now though. 

That's why his usefulness is done...remove him.  

5 minutes ago, g5jamz said:

That's why his usefulness is done...remove him.  

well, unfortunately.....it doesn't work that way.  Mueller isn't going to rush through his poo.  He been on this for 6 months.  Took like 2 years to do Watergate.  By the time Mueller is legitimately ready to bring what he has got....Trump likely will have had a lot of time to do a lot of damage. 

this of course, assume Trump doesn't escalate matters and hurry them up.  He appears to be smart enough now to realize he can't combat this like he intentionally started.   He is going to go the denial route.....and have people defend the impossible.  Heck, if people will defend child sex abuse.....they will defend treasonous behavior for a #win of the side they claim. 

if Trump wins this Moore thing....which is what he is setting up the battle to be.  That makes things very scary actually.  I mean that is a new wrench in the old equation of getting Trump out.  I mean Mueller can bring it.  Mueller can bring literally everything those that believe in him say he will.....and it potentially could not matter.  Trump is changing Americans......Trump is changing the DOJ......Trump is changing Republicans.  He keeps it up....there is a shot he can defeat Mueller simply by creating a scenario where people simply refuse to care. 

i'm excited tbh. Comcast will own the internet, just like they own NBC and MSNBC. Trump is gonna push this through and then cry and whine when it's the pro-Trump poo that starts being censored

3 minutes ago, rodeo said:

i'm excited tbh. Comcast will own the internet, just like they own NBC and MSNBC. Trump is gonna push this through and then cry and whine when it's the pro-Trump poo that starts being censored

nah.  Crooks like Trump once in power....will always find a way.   I mean, that is frankly the entire purpose of the Trump Admin opening this door.  They realize what they can do with it. 

The book on guys like Trump has already been written.  That is a tool he will want to harness and use.   Which is why he is going after it.  

Another good write-up on the subject

The FCC's abandonment of network neutrality will end the internet as we know it

What should concern consumers most are invisible consequences to the exercise of this sort of market power—content and services they may never get to experience, because the ISPs empowered by Pai's regime will be stifled at birth. Content providers such as Netflix and Google (the owner of YouTube) have lined up in favor of network neutrality, but they're likely to be unreliable warriors for the public interest. That's because they have more than enough money to meet any demands the big ISPs might place on their desire to reach subscribers.

Indeed, they may even secretly favor an end to network neutrality, because their ability to cozy up to the Comcasts and AT&Ts of the new world will help to exclude their own competitors from the marketplace.

Consumers get screwed. Small startups get crushed. Big boon to huge telecoms and big established content providers.

Edited by R0CKnR0LLA