Saca312

So, To The Point That Supposedly The 8th Overall Should Be An Immediate All-Pro, Here's A List Of The Last Ten 8th Overall Picks

8 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Beasley is not elite. Not even close. Conklin is a monster. Down year this year but still a top 15 OT.

Wouldn't disagree here either.

18 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Beasley is not elite. Not even close. Conklin is a monster. Down year this year but still a top 15 OT.

Not many “far from” elite players lead the league in anything.  Beasley is a top pass rusher.  Not giving him a gold jacket but dude is good.

PS: damn you for making me defend a falcon.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • 28-3 2

McCaffrey and Cam in a year or two will be dangerous. I liked seeing the smoke route the other day. It fits them. 

• Pie 1

The thread title is a little bit of a logical fallacy. It's basically saying that because other teams have failed picking at the same spot in completely different drafts, it completely justifies wasting a #8 pick for all teams for eternity. That's nonsense. I have never read anyone on the huddle who demanded an All-Pro at the pick and how could anybody realistically make such a call on CMC not having such a career in future, based on a half season of play? I'm not a fan of the pick but I would never say that he's a bust- that's obviously daft. Equally ridiculous is shooting down anyone who questions the value of picking an RB high or suggesting that expectations of such a pick should be low. Why can't people avoid sensationalism these days?

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

Why does everything always have to be a comparison? Why can’t we just evaluate a player on his own merits and what he’s contributing?

But if you really do want to make a comparison, then it doesn’t make any sense to compare McCaffrey only to other #8 overall picks...rather he should be compared to every pick from 8 onward. If you’re drafting a player at 8, there are at least as high of expectations for that player than any picked after him. Say hypothetically 10/10 #8 overall picks were busts in the past 10 years and McCaffrey is just an “average” player...but 10/10 #9 overall picks were All-Pros in the last ten years. Does that make McCaffrey a huge success just because he’s performed better than all of the #8 overall picks? I sure as hell hope you don’t believe that.

• Pie 1