• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darth Biscuit

The Last Jedi *Spoilers*

i don't mind the passion, I definitely have it myself. 

But to say something like 

When you have people thinking the prequels are better than this movie you know it’s bad.

Well thats just silly. Anyone saying that is off their rocker. There are no elements in the prequels that match or exceed the new movies that I can think of other than some of the action scenes are much more frenetic than in the newer movies - but again thats because these movies are trying to be a little more in tune with the originals.

The Last Jedi is essentially a gigantic fug you to anyone who actually cares about the story, franchise, and characters.

How dare you speculate on characters and plot points. How dare you care about heroic characters from your childhood. Thanks for the money, dummies.

8 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

i don't mind the passion, I definitely have it myself. 

But to say something like 

When you have people thinking the prequels are better than this movie you know it’s bad.

Well thats just silly. Anyone saying that is off their rocker. There are no elements in the prequels that match or exceed the new movies that I can think of other than some of the action scenes are much more frenetic than in the newer movies - but again thats because these movies are trying to be a little more in tune with the originals.

The visuals of these new movies are it’s only saving grace.

prequels had the better story.

4 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

The visuals of these new movies are it’s only saving grace.

prequels had the better story.

They turned Darth Vader, one of the coolest villains ever, into a love stricken emo whiny teenager. 

Obi-Wan was the only saving grace of the prequels. 

The clone wars cartoon show shits on those movies 

6 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

They turned Darth Vader, one of the coolest villains ever, into a love stricken emo whiny teenager. 

Obi-Wan was the only saving grace of the prequels. 

The clone wars cartoon show shits on those movies 

You wanna talk about emo as if Kylo Ren isn’t a complete emo with daddy issues.

the tragedy of anakin/darth Vader is infinitely more better than whatever garbage rian Johnson wrote up.

lets recap. TFA was a beat for beat remake of ANH. TLJ was a mess and completely inconsistent with TFA and the characters got worse from that movie. 

All TLJ has going for it is visual effects and that it looks really well made. Other than that is completely inferior 

2 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

meesa gonna disagree

Rose = jar jar. A completely annoying unnecessary character that doesn’t really add anything. 

12 minutes ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Rose = jar jar. A completely annoying unnecessary character that doesn’t really add anything. 

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man...

2 hours ago, PanthersBigD said:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man...

Which is shared by many other people who saw the movie and were left disappointed and confused by her entire involvement in the plot/story

well here is her involvement in the story

Shes a character for children. She has to deal with loss and find meaning in a hopeless situation, and keeps her moral compass throughout. She's not super pretty, or super smart, doesn't have the Force, but knows right and wrong, has hope for the future, and ends up delivering the main point of the film; that it's not enough to be against something, you have to be for something. She puts her life in jeopardy to do so. 

Her character was not put in there for you or me. But it was a great idea to use a Star Wars movie to do more than sell toys to kids, and once I realized this my opinion the entire sub plot involving her and Finn got a lot less hostile. Ten year olds are not going to want to watch Luke and Rey discuss philosophy for 2 hours. Its a hell of a lot better than watching Jar Jar pick crap off his shoes or whatever.

2 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

well here is her involvement in the story

Shes a character for children. She has to deal with loss and find meaning in a hopeless situation, and keeps her moral compass throughout. She's not super pretty, or super smart, doesn't have the Force, but knows right and wrong, has hope for the future, and ends up delivering the main point of the film; that it's not enough to be against something, you have to be for something. She puts her life in jeopardy to do so. 

Her character was not put in there for you or me. But it was a great idea to use a Star Wars movie to do more than sell toys to kids, and once I realized this my opinion the entire sub plot involving her and Finn got a lot less hostile. Ten year olds are not going to want to watch Luke and Rey discuss philosophy for 2 hours. Its a hell of a lot better than watching Jar Jar pick crap off his shoes or whatever.

That’s a weak justification for a poorly written second act of the movie. 

“It’s just for the kids!! She has meaning to convey to teh kidzzzz”

i can tell you when I was a kid growing up with the prequels I wasn’t looking for any deeper meaning from the story and I certainly wasn’t taking away life lessons on how being fearful of the future can be a self fulling prophecy and lead to disaster until I was much older and could grasp more abstract concepts.

you are one of those English teachers who takes away crazy meaning from simple literature and tries to pass it off as something profound.

kids aren’t taking away how to deal with loss and hopeless situations. Kids especially 10 year olds are surface level movie watchers and are mainly watching for the action. And for TLJ was poo. The action set pieces are sorely lacking. 

17 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

That’s a weak justification for a poorly written second act of the movie. 

“It’s just for the kids!! She has meaning to convey to teh kidzzzz”

i can tell you when I was a kid growing up with the prequels I wasn’t looking for any deeper meaning from the story and I certainly wasn’t taking away life lessons on how being fearful of the future can be a self fulling prophecy and lead to disaster until I was much older and could grasp more abstract concepts.

you are one of those English teachers who takes away crazy meaning from simple literature and tries to pass it off as something profound.

kids aren’t taking away how to deal with loss and hopeless situations. Kids especially 10 year olds are surface level movie watchers and are mainly watching for the action. And for TLJ was poo. The action set pieces are sorely lacking. 

Then maybe Star Wars just isn't for you anymore. There's always fanfic for guys like you...

I own just about every Expanded Universe book written so I've had a lot of further adventures written for the folks who grew up on this stuff, and they didn't need to cater to kids. Movies that cost this much to make, and that are expected to generate profit as well as continue promoting to new fans, are going to have this stuff built in. Loved Rogue One but I know as well as anyone Donnie Chen was put in there for the Chinese market for example. If this is the price to pay to see new Star Wars movies I really don't understand the problem - we endured Ewoks to see what happened to our characters in 1983, this is nothing.