• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

So how is the Panthers GM search going?

Being named GM by an outgoing ownership group is pretty much the kiss of death.  Hurney himself has probably stopped campaigning for the job.  

They are on the right track by locking up Rivera and leaving Hurney to Hurn.  For now.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney has nothing to do with the owner search and he is responsible for finding a GM. 

I'm pretty sure everything staffing wise organizationally is frozen right now until new ownership comes in.  Why would this not be the case?  

5 minutes ago, PntherPryd said:

Being named GM by an outgoing ownership group is pretty much the kiss of death.  Hurney himself has probably stopped campaigning for the job.  

They are on the right track by locking up Rivera and leaving Hurney to Hurn.  For now.

Yeah, I mean would you take this job (especially over any other offers you have) knowing there will be totally new ownership in a few months? 

27 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney has nothing to do with the owner search and he is responsible for finding a GM. 

The Panthers aren't going to find a new GM - they're going to leave it to the new owner to do that. They're not going to hire someone who could potentially be fired if a new owner wants his guy. What GM would take the job knowing this too? 

Better hope for a quick sale.  But the earliest it will be approved is March.  

I'm ok rolling with Hurney next season. He just can't trade any picks. 

I've talked to several people in the Panthers organization and none of them know how this is going to affect their future with the team and it's something they're all thinking about. Hiring a new GM before the new owner is in place literally makes zero sense. 

2 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

I've talked to several people in the Panthers organization and none of them know how this is going to affect their future with the team and it's something they're all thinking about. Hiring a new GM before the new owner is in place literally makes zero sense. 

Make sure my resume gets into the right hands, thanks!

21 minutes ago, chknwing said:

personally, I'd like not to hear about any of it until the conclusion of this season including playoffs

Yeah let’s wait even longer and fall further behind.

This offseason is going to be a mess if this sh!t doesn’t get figured out ASAP. 

Before you know free agency and the draft will be here and we’ll still be looking for a GM or even worse an owner

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Surely phone calls are being made now that the season is over for most teams.

Right?

I think the current panthers won’t even care, got to sell the team first and then then GM search will begin!

13 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yeah let’s wait even longer and fall further behind.

This offseason is going to be a mess if this sh!t doesn’t get figured out ASAP. 

Before you know free agency and the draft will be here and we’ll still be looking for a GM or even worse an owner

Even if the Panthers were going to hire a new GM before the new owner is in place (they're not) they wouldn't do it until after the season is over. The only teams making moves now are the ones whose seasons are done. 

I tend to think finding a good young gm would increase the worth of the team, as opposed to someone who has already failed once. 

5 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

Even if the Panthers were going to hire a new GM before the new owner is in place (they're not) they wouldn't do it until after the season is over. The only teams making moves now are the ones whose seasons are done. 

Yeah obviously we’re finding an owner first and our season is done in 6 days, they need to start laying the ground work to get this stuff done

2 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

Not really.

The GM position is open, has been for several months, and has little to do with the performance on the field. 

If the Panthers had any intention of finding a good young gm they would have started phone calls yesterday.

But you are right, they aren't. Not because of timing, but because Hurney was only named interim to skirt the Rooney rule.

Hopefully new ownership will have better judgement on the position 

9 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yeah obviously we’re finding an owner first and our season is done in 6 days, they need to start laying the ground work to get this stuff done

I don't believe that just because we don't know about it they're not doing it.