Hoenheim

What is Wrong With Cam Newton and Will He Fix It In the Playoffs?

Why is Cam Newton missing throws? It's it Turner missing? Is it because Amini isn't Good? Is it because he has no time or WRs? Naw can't be he's just a bum. 

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, AviationMX said:

Newton just doesn't have great mechanics, when he throws high- it's going to be a long game. My theory is that he is so gifted that he can have poor fundamentals and still make good throws, as he noted this year that he can overcome coaching. But that flat fastball off his back foot, although hard to intercept, has to be in the right window at the right time to be a catch.

With Olsen's timing off and CAP not having reps- the ATL was especially hard on Newton.  After throwing into double/triple coverage he just started checking down...and I think he just gets frustrated and tried to run it himself. No one looked good in the passing game sunday but Newton is the QB and is responsible.

I used to really get on him about throwing off the back foot and the Huddle was not happy about criticizing his QBR/Pass comp/lack of touch but I think we will see something different in NOLA.

He didn't like being embarrassed and Falcons played a QB run most the game so he couldnt just will a win, so I predict he takes this week and has monster reps with the receivers/RB.  West coast baby...YAC is word...

We can't just throw away these playoff opportunities, and I really believe the entire team will dig and be sharper. There will be no one more excited for Newton is he can complete a couple of short passes in first possession than I. Newton also needs to best the Breaux Bridge Bomber in playoff wins at some point. 

Going 0-8 on a nationally television game was god awful and will never happen again. I don't know if we will win next week but Newton will have 300 yards passing. 

This.  I think because he gets away with poor mechanics all the time, and coaching seems to not want to "force" him to correct them, we will always get this level of inconsistency.  His QB statistics are pretty much the definition of inconsistency.  1 game good followed by ok/bad/mediocre game.  

After a bad game, it seems like he really focuses and seems to correct whatever mistakes there were.  Then it's back to inconsistency.   It's like a golf swing in a way, sometimes you can hit great shots with a bad golf swing.  However you come out the next day and can't hit the fairway even though you feel that nothing has changed. 

Hopefully this offseason , with no injuries or Nickelodeon shows, or whatever he can firmly focus on mechanics.  Get those ingrained and have a more consistent year.  The talent is undeniable, the consistency is not. 

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

Why is Cam Newton missing throws? It's it Turner missing? Is it because Amini isn't Good? Is it because he has no time or WRs? Naw can't be he's just a bum. 

Or maybe, just maybe possibly ... he is mechanically unsound. And due to his tremendous athletic ability and arm strength can get away from being mechanically sound.   However when you add, poor play around him, the mechanical deficiencies get magnified and he has poor to inconsistent outings.  

Best QB we have ever had without a doubt, but he has "correctable" flaws.  If he was only inaccurate on plays where he is getting hit /pressured then yeah, it's everyone elses fault.  But when you aren't getting pressured and are still inaccurate (mainly high throws, mainly due to footwork), then it's Cams fault. 

Everyone on the team share the blame. From HC on down.  But Cam deserves some of the blame.  It's not calling cam a bum, not saying we should draft someone else.  Not saying we should put in DA.  Just saying Cam deserves a large part of the blame because he is the one throwing the ball.  Yes Amini deserves blame, yes the WR's weren't getting open.  That makes it even more important to make completions when the opportunity is there. 

Why everyone is getting angry about calling out Cam for bad play is funny.  I think due to the made up unnecessary criticism of Cam earlier , people take any criticism as an attack.   It's not.  As a Panther fan I look at the team, when Cam plays well , he gets the credit and should.  When he plays bad, he should be called out for it. 

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, Udogg said:

Or maybe, just maybe possibly ... he is mechanically unsound. And due to his tremendous athletic ability and arm strength can get away from being mechanically sound.   However when you add, poor play around him, the mechanical deficiencies get magnified and he has poor to inconsistent outings.  

Best QB we have ever had without a doubt, but he has "correctable" flaws.  If he was only inaccurate on plays where he is getting hit /pressured then yeah, it's everyone elses fault.  But when you aren't getting pressured and are still inaccurate (mainly high throws, mainly due to footwork), then it's Cams fault. 

Everyone on the team share the blame. From HC on down.  But Cam deserves some of the blame.  It's not calling cam a bum, not saying we should draft someone else.  Not saying we should put in DA.  Just saying Cam deserves a large part of the blame because he is the one throwing the ball.  Yes Amini deserves blame, yes the WR's weren't getting open.  That makes it even more important to make completions when the opportunity is there. 

Why everyone is getting angry about calling out Cam for bad play is funny.  I think due to the made up unnecessary criticism of Cam earlier , people take any criticism as an attack.   It's not.  As a Panther fan I look at the team, when Cam plays well , he gets the credit and should.  When he plays bad, he should be called out for it. 

Cam has similar if not the same mechanics issue he had as a rookie. Either coaches haven't worked on that(kinda find that hard to believe but no impossible), he hasn't put the effort(would hate to find out if true) or he is just not capable of improving his footwork which could be labeled as the worst in the league. He has never been an elusive in the pocket QB, almost clumsy, just to see freaking Meg Ryan escape about 5 sacks on Sunday by making small movements was frustrating.

The next problem is ball placement, while receivers do drop a number of balls, and some also bail him out with great catches, he rarely throws to a spot that opens a receiver up, rather he appears to wait until a receiver is open. What that does is limit yards after the catch.

Lastly, and maybe most importantly is the possibility of leadership skills(or lack thereof). Now I loved seeing him on the sideline rallying the offense, may be the first time I recall that ever happening and would love to see more of that. But I've also heard he isn't as well liked as we want to believe but I am not saying that with certainty, but how he likes to isolate himself on celebrations sometimes doesn't make me doubt it that much.

All that said he has the physical tools to overcome those issues but it is impossible to do every week, which explains his erratic play week-to-week.

• Pie 1

Cam is a tremendous talent...we all know that.

With that being said, if you do not work on your craft (because you know you are great) or you do not come each day prepared (without being tired, or worse, from being out late) you are not going to be the best version of you.  They shipped off his running partner (KB) and it worked for a bit...

If Cam want’s to be remembered as great, now is the time to get this [email protected] together...

we have 3 starting receivers that wouldnt be on teams practice squads . almost every teams back up receivers are better than our starters

Heyyyyy, another let's bash Cam thread.

:eyeroll:

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, *FreeFua* said:

Let’s swap WR’s with one of these other NFC playoff teams and see how far they make it.

If Brees and Payton had our WRs, RBs, and TE's how much better or worse would their offense be?

If Shula and Cam had their WRs, RBs, and TE's how much better or worse would our offense be?

I would guess their offense would still be better then ours.

Cam has his flaws he is not perfect but this thing about throwing receivers open is laughable he used to do it before the shoulder injury ..what do you call perfect ball placement when the defender is right on the wrs hip.They are not open they are covered. As far as his mechanics yes they are not like everyone else and that is part why he is so good. With pressure in his face he throws perfect strikes with awkward mechanics. If he had sound mechanics he wouldn' be able to that. With the line he has had to play with those what you call bad mechanics have made him deadly at times. It is one reason why panthers are never really out of a game. He is special accepted. Now get him at least 1 good wr and see what happens...i believe Byrd and Samuel can be it they just got to stay healthy. Cam has no wr he knows it and just tried to hard.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:46 PM, Hoenheim said:

I'm very worried about his passing ability going forward. He has absolutely 0 consistency passing the ball well and we would have to play 4 games in a row well to win the Super Bowl. 

And something of a broader question, but whats wrong with the team? When things arent going well early in the game I notice everyone is sagging their shoulders and look defeated throughout the  whole game even though we may only be behind a score or two and are almost always in striking distance. There's just something intangible about this team that I feel like they are missing, there is no swagger or mojo from 2015 and it looks like they could care less if we win or lose in the playoffs from their behavior and expression, despite what they may say in press conferences.

Hard to have passing consistency when your OC is a lame duck. 

Not even Rogers or Brady is going to be doing so hot if they look to attack deep every time when the D is covering deep and giving away the short stuff that our lame duck OC refuses to attack.