thebigcat

LOL if you think Shula/Rivera will ever go anywhere, mediocrity is rewarded in the NFL- Example Marvin Lewis

Ron Rivera is the best coach in franchise history. Shula not so much. Ron has the most wins, and the players love Ron. He does not call the plays on offense. HE got our defense back to being top 5 and top 10 respectively. Not sure how some fans want Ron fired unless they really think their is a super bowl bound coach out there licking their chops to coach Panthers... I mean please show me who you are speaking of..... Some one please break down the stats that support Ron getting fired. Thanks...

31 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

Ron Rivera is the best coach in franchise history. Shula not so much. Ron has the most wins, and the players love Ron. He does not call the plays on offense. HE got our defense back to being top 5 and top 10 respectively. Not sure how some fans want Ron fired unless they really think their is a super bowl bound coach out there licking their chops to coach Panthers... I mean please show me who you are speaking of..... Some one please break down the stats that support Ron getting fired. Thanks...

Because Rivera believes Shula is great.

Rivera has actually been known to think a lot of people are good when they're really not.

Also true that Rivera either doesn't adjust well or doesn't adjust at all because teams keep coming back on us in the second half. Add in that he's a poor game manager.

And when it comes time to talk about why we lost a game, Rivera takes no responsibility at all. He always blames the players (unlike Steve Wilks, who always puts it on himself).

Rivera is a phenomenal person and a fantastic defensive coordinator, but he's not a head coach that's gonna win a Super Bowl.

Edited by Mr. Scot

The Bengals can do better than Lewis.

That doesn't make Lewis a bad coach.

Andy Dalton is a worse Alex Smith and he is abysmal in prime time games. It's probably psychological at this point.  Andy Dalton is gonna win any playoff games or win a Superbowl.

Add into the fact this season they just let their entire O-line walk pretty much this off-season (believing in some of the guys they drafted.) they we're bound to regress this season.

The thing people miss about firing and hiring a new coach is that you can fire a super stable coach and the bring in someone worse. I do think it is long past the time for the Bengals to change things up, but I can't blame them for not wanting to get the wrong guy while waiting on someone like Hue Jackson. Look at what happened with the h Browns or what's happening with the Raiders.

21 minutes ago, Rags said:

The Bengals can do better than Lewis.

That doesn't make Lewis a bad coach.

Andy Dalton is a worse Alex Smith and he is abysmal in prime time games. It's probably psychological at this point.  Andy Dalton is gonna win any playoff games or win a Superbowl.

Add into the fact this season they just let their entire O-line walk pretty much this off-season (believing in some of the guys they drafted.) they we're bound to regress this season.

The thing people miss about firing and hiring a new coach is that you can fire a super stable coach and the bring in someone worse. I do think it is long past the time for the Bengals to change things up, but I can't blame them for not wanting to get the wrong guy while waiting on someone like Hue Jackson. Look at what happened with the h Browns or what's happening with the Raiders.

I don't know if the Bengals are fixable as long as Mike Brown is in charge. As bad as Jerry Richardson may have been, Mike Brown is even worse, arguably the worst owner in the NFL (though Jimmy Haslam is also in contention).

Lewis was always a great defensive mind, and over time he built a decent staff. Some of that staff is about to walk away from him, though.

In my mind, his biggest weakness has always been that he'll take on malcontents like Vontaze Burfict, Pac Man Jones and others.

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't know if the Bengals are fixable as long as Mike Brown is in charge. As bad as Jerry Richardson may have been, Mike Brown is even worse, arguably the worst owner in the NFL (though Jimmy Haslam is also in contention).

Lewis was always a great defensive mind, and over time he built a decent staff. Some of that staff is about to walk away from him, though.

In my mind, his biggest weakness has always been that he'll take on malcontents like Vontaze Burfict, Pac Man Jones and others.

I believe I read somewhere that Mike Brown is known for being notoriously cheap

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Because Rivera believes Shula is great.

Rivera has actually been known to think a lot of people are good when they're really not.

Also true that Rivera either doesn't adjust well or doesn't adjust at all because teams keep coming back on us in the second half. Add in that he's a poor game manager.

And when it comes time to talk about why we lost a game, Rivera takes no responsibility at all. He always blames the players (unlike Steve Wilks, who always puts it on himself).

Rivera is a phenomenal person and a fantastic defensive coordinator, but he's not a head coach that's gonna win a Super Bowl.

Ron says "we" have to do better because he considers himself a part of the team. He was part of the 85 bears I am sure he understands personal responsibility. You guys just want him to be overly humble I feel. Please name another coach that is available right now that can win the Panthers a super bowl. 

I still don't understand why people want Ron fired. There are ~20 other teams in the league who would scoop him up in a heartbeat. 

He needs to get rid of Shula though.

11 minutes ago, KaseKlosed said:

Ron says "we" have to do better because he considers himself a part of the team. He was part of the 85 bears I am sure he understands personal responsibility. You guys just want him to be overly humble I feel. Please name another coach that is available right now that can win the Panthers a super bowl. 

Rivera is very humble. Humility isn't an issue. Heck, Rivera might be the finest person we've ever had coaching this team.

But he's not a good enough head coach to win a Super Bowl.

As to who might be, just take a look at the names being interviewed by other teams (including Steve Wilks).

They're getting looked at because teams believe they could win them a Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I really don't mind being stuck with an 11-5 team headed to the playoffs. I'm not mad about having a team go to the playoffs four out of the last five years. I'm not mad at all with the fact we went to the Superb Owl two years ago and have at least a shot at it this year.

If you've got a coaching staff that can get 11-5 out of a team riddled with injuries to their starters (and we really need to throw Cam in there with his still recovering shoulder early on), an unprecedented turnover in management right at the beginning of training camp and then a massive scandal with ownership that is going to result in sale of the team. 

Heck -- Rivera, Shula and Wilks should get coaching staff of the year nods for getting those results out of this cast of walking wounded, JAGs, old timers, retreads, benchsitters and rookies. And somehow we've got the least penalized team in the league -- something that has surely helped offset our turnover differential and speaks miles to the idea that the team is at least well-controlled and coached.

Considering the basket of lemons the team was presented with this year, they've made a hell of a lot of lemonade.

Yep! We've got fairly pleasing results playing with house money.  I just can't complain. Looking at what we've had to deal with during Rivera's era, what we've achieved has been, well,  unbelievable from some perspectives. 

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yep! We've got fairly pleasing results playing with house money.  I just can't complain. Looking at what we've had to deal with during Rivera's era, what we've achieved has been, well,  unbelievable from some perspectives. 

But the narrative around here is still that RR and Shula suck, no matter what. Don't point to any evidence to the contrary. Don't even think about giving them any credit.

The Huddle is becoming that place where a few old drunks at the end of the bar just ruin it for everyone else. I'm hoping either they move on or eventually see the light, but it's looking more and more like it's time to find a new place to hang out. There are just too many trolls, curmudgeons and axe-grinders around here. Can't even enjoy a winning season anymore.