4 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

Charlotte/Carolinas is a better fit financially compared to any of those cities other than London and maybe Toronto. San Diego isn't going to get a new stadium LOL, St Louis is not going to help any buyers...there is just no slam dunk place to go and the NFL is in a bit of a contraction if you haven't noticed. The Panthers are not moving, and a new stadium is at least 10 years away - the only viable alternative is to build one out in the suburbs, maybe where the old Knights stadium used to be not far from my house, now that would be nice LOL

The NFL is in no bit of a contraction, but they are definitely looking like they've bubbled and are slowly, slowly leaking. They're still the No. 1 show though and people need to take that into consideration when this thread gets bumped a few months from now and we're discussing this in further detail

• Poo 1

The league has already made clear that they don't want the Panthers moving out of the Carolinas.

Moves require league approval and have to meet certain criteria that there's likely no way the Panthers could meet.

Across the border to South Carolina maybe, though nowhere farther than there and even that's highly unlikely.

The team isn't leaving the Carolinas.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The league has already made clear that they don't want the Panthers moving out of the Carolinas.

Moves require league approval and have to meet certain criteria that there's likely no way the Panthers could meet.

Across the border to South Carolina maybe, though nowhere farther than there and even that's highly unlikely.

The team isn't leaving the Carolinas.

Said it before and will say it again- anyone who believes new ownership won't be looking for, at the very minimum, a new stadium is burying their head in the sand.

What "the league (translate: Roger Goodell) has made clear" and what 24 of 32 owners vote for are 2 completely different things.

Even if Columbia, SC stepped up with a stadium deal, moving from Charlotte to Columbia would be tantamount to moving to the west coast, as far as some NC faithful are concerned. 

Can anyone tell me the last time an NFL franchise changed ownership and didn't look for a new stadium deal and/or move?

Edited by Anybodyhome

2 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

Yeah what are they going to do, become the Chattanooga Panthers? Akron Panthers? Sacramento or Bakersfield?

Welcome to the Central North Carolina Panthers, aka Kernersville Panthers.  :)

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Said it before and will say it again- anyone who believes new ownership won't be looking for, at the very minimum, a new stadium is burying their head in the sand.

What "the league (translate: Roger Goodell) has made clear" and what 24 of 32 owners vote for are 2 completely different things.

Even if Columbia, SC stepped up with a stadium deal, moving from Charlotte to Columbia would be tantamount to moving to the west coast, as far as some NC faithful are concerned. 

Can anyone tell me the last time an NFL franchise changed ownership and didn't look for a new stadium deal and/or move?

Buffalo.

Jacksonville.

Cleveland.

I mean really, if the Jaguars can stay in Jacksonville, I have no doubt the Panthers can stay in the Carolinas.

Edited by Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, mc52beast said:

I will be surprised if the Panthers are still in Charlotte 5 years from now. New ownership will be looking at a 20+ year old stadium and more than likely will want a new one. Couldn’t blame the people living there for refusing to pay for it.

It doesn’t matter what the people want, only what the BLM city council decides

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Buffalo.

Jacksonville.

Cleveland.

I mean really, if the Jaguars can stay in Jacksonville, I have no doubt the Panthers can stay in the Carolinas.

Ultimately it's up to what Jerry Jones wants. He's proven that.

30 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Ultimately it's up to what Jerry Jones wants. He's proven that.

Jones wants the Panthers to stay in the Carolinas.

The whole league does, and has said so.

I don't see a new ownership group wanting to spend an additional $500 to 700 million on the NFL relocation fee after spending $1 or 2 billion on buying the franchise.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/13/rams-chargers-raiders-nfl-relocation-fees

There is no doubt though that the new ownership group will start trying to get the taxpayers to pay for a new stadium.  Sebates has already started campaigning for it.

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

It doesn’t matter what the people want, only what the BLM city council decides

what's a BLM city council?

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The new owner will almost assuredly, no matter how ridiculous it is, demand a new stadium be built. I think the state/local governments will balk at the cost so unless a tether is in place the team will be in St. Louis or some place else. I base this guess largely on the fact that even potential local ownership (Smith or Sabates) want a new stadium in place they can call their own. Team owners in the recent past have tended to look at team purchases as the best opportunity for an early cash-grab by demanding a new stadium built to their specifications. I'd be shocked if the situation didn't in some way mirror what we went through with the arena situation in 2001.

I posted this in the last thread about moving so here.

A move won’t happen. Apart from Sacramento, St. Louis and Orlando, all the other media markets ahead of Charlotte (#22nd largest overall) have established and popular NFL teams. The Panthers also get Raleigh (#24), Greenville (#38), Greenesborough (#48) and Colombia and Charleston (#78 and #91). All told the combined media markets of the Carolinas have 6 of the top 100 and are about 4 million households strong. Only New York, LA and Chicago are larger.

There’s no market the team can move to that either lacks an established fanbase or outdoes our size. And I’m not just being naive here. I’m a Chicago based, Illinois born fan and the Panthers’ location doesn’t mean poo to me. I just don’t think there are any better options than staying put.

From Reddit and puts it so succinctly

• Pie 1