Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Buffalo.

Jacksonville.

Cleveland.

I mean really, if the Jaguars can stay in Jacksonville, I have no doubt the Panthers can stay in the Carolinas.

Ultimately it's up to what Jerry Jones wants. He's proven that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


30 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Ultimately it's up to what Jerry Jones wants. He's proven that.

Jones wants the Panthers to stay in the Carolinas.

The whole league does, and has said so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a new ownership group wanting to spend an additional $500 to 700 million on the NFL relocation fee after spending $1 or 2 billion on buying the franchise.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/13/rams-chargers-raiders-nfl-relocation-fees

 

There is no doubt though that the new ownership group will start trying to get the taxpayers to pay for a new stadium.  Sebates has already started campaigning for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bull123 said:

It doesn’t matter what the people want, only what the BLM city council decides

what's a BLM city council?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The new owner will almost assuredly, no matter how ridiculous it is, demand a new stadium be built. I think the state/local governments will balk at the cost so unless a tether is in place the team will be in St. Louis or some place else. I base this guess largely on the fact that even potential local ownership (Smith or Sabates) want a new stadium in place they can call their own. Team owners in the recent past have tended to look at team purchases as the best opportunity for an early cash-grab by demanding a new stadium built to their specifications. I'd be shocked if the situation didn't in some way mirror what we went through with the arena situation in 2001.

I posted this in the last thread about moving so here.

A move won’t happen. Apart from Sacramento, St. Louis and Orlando, all the other media markets ahead of Charlotte (#22nd largest overall) have established and popular NFL teams. The Panthers also get Raleigh (#24), Greenville (#38), Greenesborough (#48) and Colombia and Charleston (#78 and #91). All told the combined media markets of the Carolinas have 6 of the top 100 and are about 4 million households strong. Only New York, LA and Chicago are larger.

There’s no market the team can move to that either lacks an established fanbase or outdoes our size. And I’m not just being naive here. I’m a Chicago based, Illinois born fan and the Panthers’ location doesn’t mean poo to me. I just don’t think there are any better options than staying put.

From Reddit and puts it so succinctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I could see an owner picking either there or somewhere near Carowinds (which was an original land choice)

Hey you left one out @TheCableGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Buffalo.

Jacksonville.

Cleveland.

I mean really, if the Jaguars can stay in Jacksonville, I have no doubt the Panthers can stay in the Carolinas.

Buffalo is still negotiating a move.

Jacksonville got $63M in stadium upgrades, of which $43M was publicly (taxpayer) funded, including the world's largest video boards. And yet they're still rumored to be a London contender.

Cleveland was league and legally mandated after the Modell fiasco.

Charlotte's legal tether to the Panthers ends following the 2018 season, the 5-year deal agreed upon after the stadium upgrade. Again, the stadium is only 2 years younger than the recently-imploded Georgia Dome and is one of the ten oldest stadiums in the league.

All I'm saying is don't deny the possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RoaringRiot said:

PSLs will always prevent there from being a true home field advantage in BoA. The number of seats owned by ticket brokers is astonishing and means there will always be a large volume available online 

Which is why I only sell my tickets to Panther fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anybodyhome said:

Buffalo is still negotiating a move.

Jacksonville got $63M in stadium upgrades, of which $43M was publicly (taxpayer) funded, including the world's largest video boards. And yet they're still rumored to be a London contender.

Cleveland was league and legally mandated after the Modell fiasco.

Charlotte's legal tether to the Panthers ends following the 2018 season, the 5-year deal agreed upon after the stadium upgrade. Again, the stadium is only 2 years younger than the recently-imploded Georgia Dome and is one of the ten oldest stadiums in the league.

All I'm saying is don't deny the possibility.

It's possible the team moves to Australia, but it's not likely.

There are loads of obstacles to the team moving, and in the end it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's possible the team moves to Australia, but it's not likely.

There are loads of obstacles to the team moving, and in the end it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

 

Answer this question: What happens if/when new owners ask for/demand a new stadium? Such a request/demand doesn't require any league approval. City of Charlotte says, "No."

Nowhere near as far-fetched as you believe.

See: San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland Raiders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Answer this question: What happens if/when new owners ask for/demand a new stadium? Such a request/demand doesn't require any league approval. City of Charlotte says, "No."

Nowhere near as far-fetched as you believe.

See: San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Oakland-Los Angeles-Oakland Raiders

Then they have to go through the league process, which isn't so easy.  Again, there are criteria to be met, and the league has stated they don't want the Panthers moving.

But as was discussed in a prior thread, there is an investor who's exploring an effort to build a stadium just across the border in the Carowinds area or the site of the old Knights Stadium. That would satisfy the NFL by keeping it in the same market.

So if Charlotte says no, someone else local may just say yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

The new owner will almost assuredly, no matter how ridiculous it is, demand a new stadium be built. I think the state/local governments will balk at the cost so unless a tether is in place the team will be in St. Louis or some place else. I base this guess largely on the fact that even potential local ownership (Smith or Sabates) want a new stadium in place they can call their own. Team owners in the recent past have tended to look at team purchases as the best opportunity for an early cash-grab by demanding a new stadium built to their specifications. I'd be shocked if the situation didn't in some way mirror what we went through with the arena situation in 2001.

Owners have to approve a move. Last I heard the NFL wanted the Panthers to stay in Charlotte and the owners can block any move that doesn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PSls make it hard to move around locally unless the PSL owners are granted seating rights to the new stadium and that isn't happening. They would either have to sell PSLs to fund the new stadium or go public which is a tough sell these days. I can tell you that I wouldn't be playing thousands of dollars again for PSLs I already paid for once. I doubt I am alone. So good luck on filling a new stadium given at least half of the old PSL owners would not pay again especially when it is likely the cost of PSLs would rise substantially to reflect the increased cost of stadium building. They will either stay put or move out of state unless it is publically funded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Then they have to go through the league process, which isn't so easy.  Again, there are criteria to be met, and the league has stated they don't want the Panthers moving.

But as was discussed in a prior thread, there is an investor who's exploring an effort to build a stadium just across the border in the Carowinds area or the site of the old Knights Stadium. That would satisfy the NFL by keeping it in the same market.

So if Charlotte says no, someone else local may just say yes.

Good luck filling a stadium if you used PSLs again to fund it. If it was publicly funded then that would work except the string of sell outs would end with the first game. Ticket prices are going to skyrocket to fund a billion dollars of debt that the current owners don't have on the books

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×