• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSpecialJuan

REPORT: Panthers will hire Norv Turner as OC

Just now, Cartel de Carolina said:

Your missing the point. 

You have to take what the defense gives you. 

If the D is going to leave the flats and underneath open you take it.

If the D is going to play underneath and take away the short stuff you hit them medium to long. 

If the D is going to stack the box you throw the ball.

If the D is going to leave the box light you try to make them pay with the run. 

If the D is playing the run aggressively you hit them with play action.

If the DBs are playing 10 yards off the WRs you hit them with some quick outs. 

etc etc. 

Breaking

"Newton was the fourth most accurate passer in the league on passes that [traveled] further than five yards downfield. His 68.46 percent mark was only beaten out by Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. Newton was second only to Tom Brady in the 11-20 yard range, he was accurate on 70.54 percent of those throws. On 21+ yard throws, Newton ranked eighth with a 49.18 percent accuracy number."

40 minutes ago, JARROD said:

I think you guys are crazy.

WCO is just a language. Football is football.

Coaches run their own iterations of everything anyway. Some feature tightends, some pass catching running backs, some hate tightends. Some like short routes, some like more timing and hard squared off routes, some like rounded. 

You guys are acting like football systems are like rigid old kungfu styles or something.

Cam makes plenty of short and medium throw touchdowns. We’ve seen him do plenty of 3 and 5 step drops this year, so I don’t know what everyone is talking about.

In 2011 Cam threw 450 yards to Stewart and about that to Deangelo Williams, proof.

There's not a huge difference between Coryell and E-P other than language, but Coryell and WCO have very different emphasis and require different skill sets and personnel.

To run a Coryell, you primarily want deep threat receivers.  YAC isn't necessarily a big deal.  To run WCO though, you want guys who can take a short pass and make people miss.

Blocking schemes are different too.  WCO generally prefers lighter, more agile OL guys because they do a lot of zone and cut blocking in that approach where Coryell systems tend to prefer the big big uglys.

At quarterback, Coryell QBs don't necessarily need to be mobile, but they do need to be good long passers. WCO QBs don't absolutely have to be mobile but it helps.  As far as passing, guys like Joe Montana and Chad Pennington worked much better in West Coast schemes where the short pass was essentially a long handoff and a big arm wasn't necessary.  Whereas someone like Newton who likes to chuck it downfield suits a Coryell. 

So yeah, it matters.

Something I've never considered until now:

We have always had issues in the redzone under Shula. Could this have something to do with the Coryell offensive system? Since it is predicated on deeper/medium routes, does shrinking the field take away the main purpose of the passing attack itself? Is this a problem with all Air Coryell offenses or just ours?Am I talking out of my ass? People with more football knowledge please let me know. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's not a huge difference between Coryell and E-P other than language, but Coryell and WCO have very different emphasis and require different skill sets.

To run a Coryell, you primarily want deep threat receivers.  YAC isn't necessarily a big deal.  To run WCO though, you want guys who can take a short pass and make people miss. 

Blocking schemes are different too.  WCO generally prefers lighter, more agile OL guys because they do a lot of zone and cut blocking in that approach.  Coryell systems tend to prefer the big big uglys.

So yeah, it matters.

I think that’s speaking old kungfu.

too black and white.

Too many iterations of each “system” now

the NFL has become mixed martial arts— old kungfu died.

I'm not sure I like this,  but he's gotta be betta than Shula. 

What I wanted is a young innovative OC that would create crazy mismatches, but an unproven college OC may be more of a risk than Norv

6 minutes ago, JARROD said:

I think that’s speaking old kungfu.

too black and white.

Too many iterations of each “system” now

the NFL has become mixed martial arts— old kungfu died.

It's not that rigid.  Everybody uses plays they see others use.

But you do have to acquire the right players for your system.  If you want to run a Coryell you don't draft a weak armed QB.

9 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Something I've never considered until now:

We have always had issues in the redzone under Shula. Could this have something to do with the Coryell offensive system? Since it is predicated on deeper/medium routes, does shrinking the field take away the main purpose of the passing attack itself? Is this a problem with all Air Coryell offenses or just ours?Am I talking out of my ass? People with more football knowledge please let me know. 

Ideally speaking the Red Zone is where a power run game takes over, but yeah it's harder because you can't spread out as much vertically.

You can, however, take wider splits horizontally.

6 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

To be fair...you just made the initial vague thread and then immediately disappeared off the face of the Earth, leaving everyone to wonder about the legitimacy of your claim. If you had at least made your statement above, then I’m sure you’d have gotten a good chunk of pie.

Well if I have to explain my "disappearance" I had to go to work and I don't have WiFi there. The information I got was right when I had to leave. But again. Whatever. This source I have has been pretty good and from now on I'm just gonna keep poo to myself.  

I’m going to laugh if everyone is chattering Away about Norv and the OC ends up being someone completely different.

It’s possible that our GM and HC have a little more due diligence to their “plan”.

i don’t count on it,... but we will see.

11 minutes ago, JARROD said:

I’m going to laugh if everyone is chattering Away about Norv and the OC ends up being someone completely different.

It’s possible that our GM and HC have a little more due diligence to their “plan”.

i don’t count on it,... but we will see.

its all speculation right now ...but I am in with Turner if it happens.

Anyone but Shula and I wish him the very best with if true, just please god no long developing plays.

4 hours ago, Cartel de Carolina said:

The quicker a QB gets the ball out his hands the better. 

Look no further than SF. 

I want a fast pace offense that looks to take the easy stuff 1st and foremost. 

And with Samuel, Byrd, Clay and CMC we’ve got the shifty guys to take those short routes the distance, ala CMC playoff TD.

12 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

And with Samuel, Byrd, Clay and CMC we’ve got the shifty guys to take those short routes the distance, ala CMC playoff TD.

I don’t ever want to see Clay lined up at WR again. I’m ok with him as PR but that TD drop was horrific