Jump to content
Jeremy Igo

Receivers need to be #1 priority.

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The Huddle should be so over dogging Funchess out.  He's only going to get better.  He's shown you the skills, though you still don't believe.  I believe. 

 

He’s shown to be the exact guy most pegged him to be coming out of college.

A finesse type possession WR who won’t out muscle or bully guys. When your Funchess’ size it’s important you can do those things because you’re going to be lacking in the explosiveness/quickness department.

Funchess is who he is. So while you keep “believing” I’m going to be real and I hope the Panthers will too. You don’t stick all your eggs in a basket like Funchess’ or you’ll AGAIN be left with a result like Sunday’s.

Funchess is a decent complimentary piece but that’s it. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You must be watching a different game. The defense has killed us all three times we played them. We gave up 31 points all three times we played the Saints. In their other 13 games they scored 30 points or more in 3 of them. Both Tampa and Atlanta's defense played better than ours against the Saints. Our defense was awful the last half of the season once they figured Wilks out.

Yep.

No one can say our defense kept us in it while surrendering 31 points

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Yep.

No one can say our defense kept us in it while surrendering 31 points

Man... Josh Gordon on this team... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EightyNine said:

The Patriots don't seem to value receivers all that much.  They are continually bringing in new guys.  Same with the Saints.  They let good skill position guys walk and they replace them with lower cost alternatives.  We went 15-1 without any big name wide receivers.  I see everyone in the media drooling when teams sign big named skill position players in the offseason and it usually results in that team being a disappointment (Ex. Bucs, Giants, many more).  I'm not sure if receivers should ever be our #1 priority.  We should continue to draft receivers.  We should continue to look at FA for good value guys.  But i'm not sure if we should make it a top priority.  I still believe in Gettleman's philosophy of always looking for big men, keeping your strengths strong, and defense being what wins championships.  If the QB has good protection, you don't need an All-Pro WR to get open and catch a football.  We also have young guys at the position that need experience and opportunities, so we don't need to do anything crazy.

This. People are crazy if they think WRs should be priority #1. 

They are a luxury. 

Trenches always should be number 1 priority. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cartel de Carolina said:

This. People are crazy if they think WRs should be priority #1. 

They are a luxury. 

Trenches always should be number 1 priority. 

 

Are these the same Patriots that sent a 1st to the Saints last year for Brandin Cooks?

And people need to stop using the Patriots as an example. They have the greatest head coach and possibly QB of all time. 

But let’s also not act like they surround him with the trash we have either. Amendola ain’t no slouch and had Edelman not gotten hurt that’s a legit trio.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Are these the same Patriots that sent a 1st to the Saints last year for Brandin Cooks?

And people need to stop using the Patriots as an example. They have the greatest head coach and possibly QB of all time. 

But let’s also not act like they surround him with the trash we have either. Amendola ain’t no slouch and had Edelman not gotten hurt that’s a legit trio.

The lines are much much more important than a WR. 

Not to mention the OC. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Are these the same Patriots that sent a 1st to the Saints last year for Brandin Cooks?

And people need to stop using the Patriots as an example. They have the greatest head coach and possibly QB of all time. 

But let’s also not act like they surround him with the trash we have either. Amendola ain’t no slouch and had Edelman not gotten hurt that’s a legit trio.

Lets see what the Patriots do when Cooks becomes a FA.  They've had plenty of success without him or other big name WR's.  Edelman is pretty good, but i dont think the Patriots will ever make him a top priority.  What would Amendola be on another roster? Look what we did in 2015.  These things prove my point.  When your QB is protected and playing at a high level and making good decisions, it makes your receivers look much better.  I'm not saying we should throw trash out there.  But it shouldn't be a top priority.  If we pass on a good DE or OL because we are making WR our top priority, i dont think that would be smart.   Especially when you think about Peppers' age, the potential for Norwell to leave, R Kalil getting close to the end, and the inconsistency of M Kalil.

People are going to use the Patriots as a measuring stick because they are the gold standard.  If you think the only reason they are good is because they have a great QB and coach, then you don't have to look at them as a good example.  I don't believe that is the case.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




50 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

He’s shown to be the exact guy most pegged him to be coming out of college.

A finesse type possession WR who won’t out muscle or bully guys. When your Funchess’ size it’s important you can do those things because you’re going to be lacking in the explosiveness/quickness department.

Funchess is who he is. So while you keep “believing” I’m going to be real and I hope the Panthers will too. You don’t stick all your eggs in a basket like Funchess’ or you’ll AGAIN be left with a result like Sunday’s.

Funchess is a decent complimentary piece but that’s it. 

Funchess is a legitimate NFL wide receiver.  He is a budding playmaker.  As for "complimentary piece," that's fine.  That's all most receivers are anyway.  I haven't quite looked at the receivers coming out, but as for the FAs,  only Josh Gordon is a bona-fide, much-coveted WR1. Unlike most people,  I don't think that they fall off trees.  Julio, AB, Green, and maybe OBJ, Hilton, or Keenan Allen . That's pretty much it in the NFL for me.  

In any event,  I am not saying that I don't want more complementary pieces at WR.  In fact,  I've said the contrary for basically a decade.  That being said,  I like what I see out of Funchess and want to see more. He is absolutely using his big frame better,  particularly in the end zone,  and his route running has improved dramatically.  With other threats,  he'll become a bigger one himself. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Well you’re kinda disproving your own point man. No one knew what Rae Carruth was capable of. He didn’t seem like a risk. Same for Aaron Hernandez. Every player is a risk, some are just more obvious than others. Would you rather take a low level risk on someone you know can play but might screw up like Josh Gordon? If he pays off, that’s a championship level move. If he doesn’t, what’s the negative? Can’t be any worse than trotting out Brenton fuging Bersin in a playoff game.

The notion that any guy could go wrong is a stupid reason to take a risk on a guy with a history of risky behavior.

And why not? If he doesn't, then you're stuck without a guy you put yourself in a position to depend on. That cost the Bengals and the Raiders each a Super Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cartel de Carolina said:

The lines are much much more important than a WR. 

Not to mention the OC. 

Well look at the Patriots, they dont have much resources into either one of their lines. But they tend to be the exception to the rules.

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EightyNine said:

Lets see what the Patriots do when Cooks becomes a FA.  They've had plenty of success without him or other big name WR's.  Edelman is pretty good, but i dont think the Patriots will ever make him a top priority.  What would Amendola be on another roster? Look what we did in 2015.  These things prove my point.  When your QB is protected and playing at a high level and making good decisions, it makes your receivers look much better.  I'm not saying we should throw trash out there.  But it shouldn't be a top priority.  If we pass on a good DE or OL because we are making WR our top priority, i dont think that would be smart.   Especially when you think about Peppers' age, the potential for Norwell to leave, R Kalil getting close to the end, and the inconsistency of M Kalil.

People are going to use the Patriots as a measuring stick because they are the gold standard.  If you think the only reason they are good is because they have a great QB and coach, then you don't have to look at them as a good example.  I don't believe that is the case.

 

2 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Well look at the Patriots, they dont have much resources into either one of their lines. But they tend to be the exception to the rules.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You must be watching a different game. The defense has killed us all three times we played them. We gave up 31 points all three times we played the Saints. In their other 13 games they scored 30 points or more in 3 of them. Both Tampa and Atlanta's defense played better than ours against the Saints. Our defense was awful the last half of the season once they figured Wilks out.

I’m not saying they were the best defense in the world, but our defense did enough to give our offense a chance to win. Our offense fell just short late, but they really didn’t do much early. (In terms of TDs) If we could get in the end zone, which we had plenty of opportunities to do, we could have won that game by a score or two.

We drive down the field three times at the beginning of a game, eat up the clock, but come away with 6 points. Then expect the defense to give up nothing. Our defense is good enough to win big games. Our offense isn’t. We need TDs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×