Chairman Wow

Who's going to evolve in 2018 ? Norv or Cam ?

Igo has stated his belief that one of the reasons Shula and Dorsey were dumped in favor of Turner is so that Newton has an actual coach that he has to listen to rather than just someone who makes suggestions he can take or leave. If he's correct, that would lend to Newton evolving.

On the flipside, it's been confirmed that Turner did allow the use of some read option concepts back in Minnesota when he was working with Teddy Bridgewater. Norv has never worked much with mobile quarterbacks before, so some level of adaptation will be necessary.

Will be interesting to watch either way...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

Neither, both?  I think there will have to be some adjustment on both sides.   It's certainly going to be entertaining.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Igo has stated his belief that one of the reasons Shula and Dorsey were dumped in favor of Turner is so that Newton has an actual coach that he has to listen to rather than just someone who makes suggestions he can take or leave. If he's correct, that would lend to Newton evolving.

I think there could be some truth to this, but considering Newton got benched for not wearing a friggin' tie, I'd have to say I'm skeptical that he's just surrounded by a bunch of yes men.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

I think there could be some truth to this, but considering Newton got benched for not wearing a friggin' tie, I'd have to say I'm skeptical that he's just surrounded by a bunch of yes men.

Maybe not a bunch, but I've never seen anything to indicate that Dorsey qualified as an authority figure.

Shula? Harder to say. It's clear that Rivera didn't think his style was getting the job done on offense, though.

Heck, even Rivera himself may want somebody who's more comfortable being an authority figure than he is.

Turner has been described by more than one former colleague / pupil as "very demanding" of his quarterbacks. I kind of doubt that's something that Newton has seen before.

Of course, that's not something that falls at Newton's feet. He didn't choose the coaching staff.

Cam will have to evolve if he wants a longer successful career. I believe he will mature some more and will do it. The future is very bright for the Panthers and Cam Newton.

38 minutes ago, panfanman said:

Cam will.

IMG_20180117_113440.jpg

Then I’d be a Cleveland fan if they did something like that

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Maybe not a bunch, but I've never seen anything to indicate that Dorsey qualified as an authority figure.

Shula? Harder to say. It's clear that Rivera didn't think his style was getting the job done on offense, though.

Heck, even Rivera himself may want somebody who's more comfortable being an authority figure than he is.

Turner has been described by more than one former colleague / pupil as "very demanding" of his quarterbacks. I kind of doubt that's something that Newton has seen before.

Of course, that's not something that falls at Newton's feet. He didn't choose the coaching staff.

Truthfully I think most of it is Rivera. If reports are true about us hiring Norv's son as the QB coach, it just sounds like another doing a favor kind of hire like Dorsey.

3 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Truthfully I think most of it is Rivera. If reports are true about us hiring Norv's son as the QB coach, it just sounds like another doing a favor kind of hire like Dorsey.

Possible, though Scott actually worked here before Norv did. He used to be Shula's assistant and some believed he was on track to take on a bigger role with us at some point.

I'd still prefer a more experienced quarterback coach like Wade Wilson, but this seems set in stone now.