Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Mage said:

I supported Gettleman, but it astounds me he was willing to pay Kalil and not Norman. Terrible decision.

what is the cap penalty to cut Matt now, vs as soon as 2018 starts?

 almost a rhetorical question...

 as far as JN, that was a fug up on both sides.

 

Edited by Jangler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, PandaPancake said:

This is a fan forum right?

I always thought it was T'n'A, then I found the football part.

  • Pumpkin Spice Latte 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt was rough early on, but I thought he did a banged up job for the rest of the way.  He's serviceable at best.  Now as for Gettlemen giving him the money, I wasn't for that.  I wanted Kalil, but only on a prove it kind of deal.  I also wanted Riley Reiff.  If we had to give either the long term deal, I definitely was pushing that for Reiff, and bringing in Kalil to play RT.  Interestingly enough, Reiff is still playing in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is bashing Gettleman, but with little cap money we went to the superbowl and won three consecutive conference titles .  Lets see who wins a superbowl first after this year.  Will it be the Giants with an aging qb and other problems or will it be the Panthers with Hurney and new ownership.   I hope its the Panthers , but i won't bash Gettleman until I see if we are better off without him as our GM .

  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, catnip said:

Everyone is bashing Gettleman, but with little cap money we went to the superbowl and won three consecutive conference titles .  Lets see who wins a superbowl first after this year.  Will it be the Giants with an aging qb and other problems or will it be the Panthers with Hurney and new ownership.   I hope its the Panthers , but i won't bash Gettleman until I see if we are better off without him as our GM .

DG has money. MH walked into some money...

The Giants are in a rebuilding mode. Can Hurney get it done for one year without blowing next years money? or 2020...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, catnip said:

Everyone is bashing Gettleman, but with little cap money we went to the superbowl and won three consecutive conference titles .  Lets see who wins a superbowl first after this year.  Will it be the Giants with an aging qb and other problems or will it be the Panthers with Hurney and new ownership.   I hope its the Panthers , but i won't bash Gettleman until I see if we are better off without him as our GM .

I was a super big supporter of DG.  However, after looking at his body of work and basically 2 faced approach. One side is whats best for the team and the other "he was a distraction"  In reference to Smitty and Norman. Both players were good for the team but were distractions or so they say.  I think those moves screwed us more than helped us.  Smitty, by far, was the best receiver on the team, KB or no KB.   Norman was by far the best DB we had yet he cut both of them.

His picks are marginal at best.  Sure he hit on a few but overall mediocre at best.   Shaq, KB and Butler were 1st round picks.  One isn't on the team anymore and the other two barely play.   Not good value for a 1st round pick.  He kind of reminds me of one of those people that think they know it all, and they don't.   

Free Agency were marginal too and he let Ginn go before we even drafted.  M. Kalil overpaid.  So while I liked him, facts are facts.   He wasn't as great as everyone made him out to be.  

I was on that bandwagon but going back looking at his body of work.  He wasn't all that.

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I was a super big supporter of DG.  However, after looking at his body of work and basically 2 faced approach. One side is whats best for the team and the other "he was a distraction"  In reference to Smitty and Norman. Both players were good for the team but were distractions or so they say.  I think those moves screwed us more than helped us.  Smitty, by far, was the best receiver on the team, KB or no KB.   Norman was by far the best DB we had yet he cut both of them.

His picks are marginal at best.  Sure he hit on a few but overall mediocre at best.   Shaq, KB and Butler were 1st round picks.  One isn't on the team anymore and the other two barely play.   Not good value for a 1st round pick.  He kind of reminds me of one of those people that think they know it all, and they don't.   

Free Agency were marginal too and he let Ginn go before we even drafted.  M. Kalil overpaid.  So while I liked him, facts are facts.   He wasn't as great as everyone made him out to be.  

I was on that bandwagon but going back looking at his body of work.  He wasn't all that.

I really don't get it. People make mistakes. Overall DG did a great job. He got us out of cap hell quicker than anybody thought we would be...Matt and Josh were bad/ misplayed decisions. 

2c61a26bfadf0a93d74c7a74419d8221.gif&key

 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I was a super big supporter of DG.  However, after looking at his body of work and basically 2 faced approach. One side is whats best for the team and the other "he was a distraction"  In reference to Smitty and Norman. Both players were good for the team but were distractions or so they say.  I think those moves screwed us more than helped us.  Smitty, by far, was the best receiver on the team, KB or no KB.   Norman was by far the best DB we had yet he cut both of them.

His picks are marginal at best.  Sure he hit on a few but overall mediocre at best.   Shaq, KB and Butler were 1st round picks.  One isn't on the team anymore and the other two barely play.   Not good value for a 1st round pick.  He kind of reminds me of one of those people that think they know it all, and they don't.   

Free Agency were marginal too and he let Ginn go before we even drafted.  M. Kalil overpaid.  So while I liked him, facts are facts.   He wasn't as great as everyone made him out to be.  

I was on that bandwagon but going back looking at his body of work.  He wasn't all that.

   Which is all anyone that doesn’t have a predetermined agenda for or against DG has ever said. He did good things and made mistakes. Just like every GM does. 

 And we had the best season in team history after cutting Smith. So remove 10M worth of players from that team while adding Smith. And the timing of the Norman one was the main problem. Not having the money during FA to replace him. And keeping him would have cost 25-30M over the past two years. Which players go to make up for that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jangler said:

I really don't get it. People make mistakes. Overall DG did a great job. He got us out of cap hell quicker than anybody thought we would be...Matt and Josh were bad/ misplayed decisions. 

2c61a26bfadf0a93d74c7a74419d8221.gif&key

 

Gettleman sold this cap hell excuse way too good. It’s simply not true. We never created a lot of space in spite of massive cap increases every year. All he did was cut and let valuable players walk. Why he gets praised for that is mind blowing. 

Every GM in the league has their team under the cap by the start of the league year (including Hurney) because it’s a league rule. 

5 years later and we still only have 15 million in cap space this year even though the cap has increased close to 50 million since he got here. 

That number would be only be 6.5 million if Hurney didn’t wisely trade Benjamin for a third round pick. 

 

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mage said:

I supported Gettleman, but it astounds me he was willing to pay Kalil and not Norman. Terrible decision.

Remember when it happened and that at the time Oher was healthy and our 2015 OL was ranked top 5. Yes, I know, SB, but I blame most of that on our coaches leaving our OTs on islands. Took a whole offseason but somehow we scored 17 in a half against the same team.

Anyway, Matt Kalil decision had nothing at all to do with not paying Norman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I was a super big supporter of DG.  However, after looking at his body of work and basically 2 faced approach. One side is whats best for the team and the other "he was a distraction"  In reference to Smitty and Norman. Both players were good for the team but were distractions or so they say.  I think those moves screwed us more than helped us.  Smitty, by far, was the best receiver on the team, KB or no KB.   Norman was by far the best DB we had yet he cut both of them.

His picks are marginal at best.  Sure he hit on a few but overall mediocre at best.   Shaq, KB and Butler were 1st round picks.  One isn't on the team anymore and the other two barely play.   Not good value for a 1st round pick.  He kind of reminds me of one of those people that think they know it all, and they don't.   

Free Agency were marginal too and he let Ginn go before we even drafted.  M. Kalil overpaid.  So while I liked him, facts are facts.   He wasn't as great as everyone made him out to be.  

I was on that bandwagon but going back looking at his body of work.  He wasn't all that.

Although his first round picks were meh ... this season we may actually see his genuis. In all honesty, I think Shaq was picked because they secretly didn't believe TD would hold up this long. With this being Davis's last year and Shaq's last contractual year ...I actually would try to lock up Shaq this year if possible incase he balls out. That being said, the basic rule is to get your most talented players on the field. Talented Lb but he probably could have been a pretty good SS after adapting. I have zero doubt he would have out performed Coleman this year.

Kb was picked because of his catch raduis and Cam's tendencies to overthrow. WR was our biggest need so he checked off that box after releasing Smith. While he showed #1 potential, dude was just too slow. 

Butler's Value will be come in handy this season, as I don't see Star coming back. I LOVED Star his first year and while he does free up the backers, he has regressed every year since getting in Carolina. If we don't resign him, I can see the FO trying to plug Butler in that slot. 

While Gettleman made his mistakes, you must give the man credit. Without his FA pickups we wouldnt have sniffed the Superbowl. Tillman, Allen, Coleman(previous years), Kyle Love, Oher, Cotchery, Ginn...etc. 

That being said, his ego was his downfall. I still can't wrap my head around the Ginn situation. Although, I think he thought that speed could be mimic'd with Charles Johnson, Samuel and Byrd. I just don't understand how you let Ginn walk yet sign Sheppard.

Ironically, at this point the only thing holding us back is Wr, CB, LT, Physical Rb and Safety....we also need Dline help. A couple of these positions may be in an "ok" position but we have to keep younger and faster. We solved the OC problem so thats one thing off the list. Hurney probably has 1 year to prove his worth, so prepare yourself this offseason.  Gettleman gets praise because he took us out of CAP HELL and his scouting talent for late rounders and UDFA's. 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×