Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soul Rebel

Gamecock Fans -- Just How Good is Hayden Hurst?

Recommended Posts

Saw that he creeped into the latter part of the first round conversation. Hard to find a lot of vids on him, but this one shows his potential as an athlete.

 

Quite a few motion sweeps, which is not normal for a TE, but he looked natural. We know Norv loves a dual-TE set too, so drafting a TE by the end of R3 would be better than bringing back Dickson, IMO. 

I saw Hurst chose football over baseball and might be a bit raw, but I do see a bit of Shockey/Ertz to him.

Thoughts on where he ends up? Could he be the first TE off the board? By April, 24th overall might fit just right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


He's pretty damn good, but seemed to disappear a lot in games that I watched. Other games he balled out hard and dominated. He's a pretty good blocker also.  Kinda fiery like Shockey used to be, and his game reminds me of Shockey/Kelcie hybrid.  Has a ton of upside with the right coaching.  Well above average athleticism, and speed for his size.  Could be awesome at the next level or the next Beau Sandland.  Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Quite a few motion sweeps, which is not normal for a TE, but he looked natural. We know Norv loves a dual-TE set too, so drafting a TE by the end of R3 would be better than bringing back Dickson, IMO. 

I saw Hurst chose football over baseball and might be a bit raw, but I do see a bit of Shockey/Ertz to him.

Thoughts on where he ends up? Could he be the first TE off the board? By April, 24th overall might fit just right?

 

Agree, cpl of million in CAP saving would help towards extending Norwell & Star.

Can't never predict the draft with so many teams needing QBs, but I would go with Chubb 1st round & then get him in 2nd round? 

Use the other picks on FS, DE, OL & LB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a legit NFL caliber TE....will be better at the next level than he was in college.

Gamecock offense has been shaky for the most part under Muschamp (shocker). Bentley (QB) regressed this season so Hurst production took a hit because of it.

My only hang up with him is age. He will be 25 to start his rookie season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude seems pretty powerful and a handful to bring down. 

I'd be ok with it.

He'd need a haircut first. Mayo and Bersin are our resident long haired white dudes. We can't have another horrible haircut like that on our squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a Gamecock fan (Dad played for USC and I was born there during his playing days) so I have a curious alliance---and I played TE in college, so that makes me dangerously unaware of the position today.  However, I can say  that Hurst is not a first-round talent and will be about 26 when his rookie season starts. But he is ready to play now--he is a big athlete with good body control and he is a gamer.  I liked his open field blocking better than on the OL--he rarely got down in the weeds.  This is a pretty good year for TEs.  I (as if I know) would predict a 3rd round grade on him.  Nobody needs to set up a board before the combine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His lack of stats some games had a lot to do with him being forced to stay in to block due to some OL injuries. His only knock is his age. Everything you want in a TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm....didn't realize his age. If he's NFL ready though and was used a lot to support the OL in the blocking game at South Carolina, then he sounds like the exact kind of TE2 we are looking for. He and Olsen would cause fits in Turners offense and open up Samuel and CMC.

Intriguing prospect for sure and love his toughness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I am a Gamecock fan (Dad played for USC and I was born there during his playing days) so I have a curious alliance---and I played TE in college, so that makes me dangerously unaware of the position today.  However, I can say  that Hurst is not a first-round talent and will be about 26 when his rookie season starts. But he is ready to play now--he is a big athlete with good body control and he is a gamer.  I liked his open field blocking better than on the OL--he rarely got down in the weeds.  This is a pretty good year for TEs.  I (as if I know) would predict a 3rd round grade on him.  Nobody needs to set up a board before the combine.

 

I basically am surrounded by Gamecock fans 24/7.  They hyped up this kid all year to me. 

as a Clemson fan I only watched 2 Gamecock games the last 2 seasons.  I know SC doesn't have a great pass attack but if he was the super stud some hype him to be.....he never showed it in the Clemson games.  20ish yards a game vs Clemson the last 2 years and SC was down early both years (so the passing game was going to be looked upon). 

I am not against the kid....but he definitely shouldn't be a high round pick IMO.  I agree with your assessment on round projection.  I wouldn't have him higher than a 3rd rounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talented yes, but he's a little too old for my blood. And his age will hurt his draft stock. For comparison he'll be 28 going into his fourth year in the league, Gronk is 28 now in his 8th season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CRA said:

I basically am surrounded by Gamecock fans 24/7.  They hyped up this kid all year to me. 

as a Clemson fan I only watched 2 Gamecock games the last 2 seasons.  I know SC doesn't have a great pass attack but if he was the super stud some hype him to be.....he never showed it in the Clemson games.  20ish yards a game vs Clemson the last 2 years and SC was down early both years (so the passing game was going to be looked upon). 

I am not against the kid....but he definitely shouldn't be a high round pick IMO.  I agree with your assessment on round projection.  I wouldn't have him higher than a 3rd rounder. 

I think the kid from Oklahoma Mark Edwards is the best TE , and he is probably a second rounder.  I would not be surprised to see Hurst fall into the later rounds.  There are about 5 TEs I would take before Hurst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he’d be a great fit at TE-2.  Guy has great hands, decent speed, and is a handful to bring down.  The Gamecocks even used him in jet sweeps just to get the ball in his hands and he’d run over people.  He also made some incredible catches in traffic.  The one against Michigan on 4th and long sticks out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CRA said:

I basically am surrounded by Gamecock fans 24/7.  They hyped up this kid all year to me. 

as a Clemson fan I only watched 2 Gamecock games the last 2 seasons.  I know SC doesn't have a great pass attack but if he was the super stud some hype him to be.....he never showed it in the Clemson games.  20ish yards a game vs Clemson the last 2 years and SC was down early both years (so the passing game was going to be looked upon). 

I am not against the kid....but he definitely shouldn't be a high round pick IMO.  I agree with your assessment on round projection.  I wouldn't have him higher than a 3rd rounder. 

I can understand your opinion if those are the only 2 you watched.  South Carolina’s OL has been pretty bad.  When SC faced teams with elite pass rushers, he had to stay put at the LOS on passing downs to block.  It was pretty pitiful because the game against Clemson this year the times he did run a route Bentley was under so much pressure that the pass would be no where near him.  

That said I would be pretty disappointed if Carolina took him earlier than round 3, like you said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,359
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    sarisatva
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      141,028
    • Total Posts
      4,493,585
×