• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soul Rebel

Jeremy Hill - Potential Buy Low RB Option for Norv

Dude was a beast coming out his rookie year, but fell off recently. He was misused as a east-west- runner, rather than a power back, and suffered some injury woes.  To his credit (not for the Bengals in 2017) he opted to hit IR and repair his ankle that was giving him problems, thus giving him more time to fully recover and be back to 100% prior to FA. 

6'2", 236-lb back that is only 25 years old and has shown flashes of what, IMO, Turner is looking for in our backfield. 

I know our FA money is limited with Norwell, Star and hopefully a veteran WR (I'm talking to you Marqise Lee), but could Hill's market value be in line for us to take a bite?  You take away an injury plagued 2017, and you have a very productive/young back that was not properly used.  His 3 previous years before injury, he averaged 223 rushes - 918 yds - 9.75 TD/season. With Gio Bernard and now Joe Mixon toting the rock so much, Hill has a ton of tread left on his 25-year old tires. 

If Shula was here, I'd hold back, but with Turner alluding to CMC not being the de facto RB1, I am interested.  Just wondering what the market will bear for him. A rough 2017 combined with another solid RB draft could lower his pricetag quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, chknwing said:

running back with a surgically repaired ankle?  I think I will pass.

I'd bring him in if the money is right, could make Stewart expendable, but I'd still like to see a back drafted. Fozzy, and CAP I'm not sure if they'll be around as we move forward. 

Not a bad thought. Ingram got very little bite wise before resigning with NO. Hill isn’t going to command much, but could be a nice deal. He might be more interested for a little less to come here and prove it. Turner being here might make a RB more inclined to join us a bit cheaper.

I love CMC and I think he’ll continue to do better, but Stewart was so bad this year outside of a couple games. CMC improves his ypc to 4.7 in the second half once the OL started run blocking but Stewart didn’t really. 5 of his 8 second half games were 3.09 ypc or under (2 under 2 ypc). Outside of the one run for 60 against Minnesota which was all blocking (gigantic hole), his best game was Miami with over 6 ypc. Only problem was that was actually under our team ypc average of over 8 ypc. 

Think it would be a mistake to kick the tires on a free agent when this year's draft class is loaded at the position.  Money's better spent at WR. 

5 minutes ago, chknwing said:

Like that time Cam Newton waited until the offseason to repair his bum ankle??

5 minutes ago, chknwing said:

He actually got criticized by Marvin Lewis for not waiting till the end of the season. He got it done mid-November so it shouldn’t be an issue if doctors said he could have waited. Funny thing was the Bengals were 3-6, Hill wasn’t getting as many carries and he was a FA after the season. I don’t blame Hill at all, seems the opposite of what we did with Cam even when we were out of it.

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Not a bad thought. Ingram got very little bite wise before resigning with NO. Hill isn’t going to command much, but could be a nice deal. He might be more interested for a little less to come here and prove it. Turner being here might make a RB more inclined to join us a bit cheaper.

I love CMC and I think he’ll continue to do better, but Stewart was so bad this year outside of a couple games. CMC improves his ypc to 4.7 in the second half once the OL started run blocking but Stewart didn’t really. 5 of his 8 second half games were 3.09 ypc or under (2 under 2 ypc). Outside of the one run for 60 against Minnesota which was all blocking (gigantic hole), his best game was Miami with over 6 ypc. Only problem was that was actually under our team ypc average of over 8 ypc. 

exactly. I think Stewart, CJ, and Russell Shepard should all be very obvious cuts unless Stew takes a pretty damn cheap cut and resign. I could see Stew being cut and offered a team friendly deal and reduced role, up to him to accept it or not. 

Bengals RBs have been interesting. They’ve drafted 3 guys who have looked like studs recently but they keep seeming to toss them out before anyone can get a real foothold as the lead guy.

Hill could be a good low risk high reward guy. I think he has a relationship with Trai too from LSU days.

3 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Think it would be a mistake to kick the tires on a free agent when this year's draft class is loaded at the position.  Money's better spent at WR. 

Money wise you aren’t correct. Hill’s probably in line for a $3 million per year. Marqise Lee who’s done a whole lot less than Hill is likely going to get $7 million per year.

RB is actually a position where the difference been a 2nd rounder and a FA is very little but a 2nd round WR and a FA WR is a lot more.

That said maybe you don’t like the FA WRs, but 14 WRs make over $10M (soon to be more) and one RB does. Freeman and McCoy the 2nd and 3rd most paid RBs make Marvin Jones money. Desean Jackson the 12th highest paid WR makes almost 3 times the 12th highest paid RB (Lynch). 

1 minute ago, Cdpg said:

Thoughts on Carlos Hyde if you can get him for the price as Hill?

I’d be all for it. He’s a good receiver as well. Having him and CMC in the backfield means the D can’t key on anything. See my post above about FA RBs. 

1 minute ago, Pantha-kun said:

Id rather spend FA money on WRs

If you can get the right guy, just know we won’t be keeping guys like Norwell and Star. If we can get a guy at a decent price, say Moncrief, I’d be all for it. Value for our team wanting to be a better running team (Stew’s done) could be a lot better if a guy like Hill or Hyde pan out. You will be paying double for Marqise Lee who hasn’t even been close to as impressive as KB even playing one more year. 

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ceanderson

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts