• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stirs

Black Panther the movie

So what is the take here in the TBox.

Have not seen it, course I seldom go to theaters anymore.  I am intrigued however and have often wondered if my son was Latino or AA, how he would pick his superheroes when he was young.  I would think at the outset that it would be great for a lot of kids to have a superhero that they identify with.  I read stuff about controversies, but have not delved into them as of yet.  But I am certain the folks in the know here in the TBox will be in the know. 

What "controversies" are you referring to?

I've heard there are plenty of racist white people predictably using this as some sort of idiotic slight against them, but that's it.

As a black person here in the US, I can't relate to the Black Panther.  He's an African trillionaire.  Now a character like Blade, I find myself more relatable to.  Of course overall, I'm not much of a superhero/comic book fan like the older generation.  So I don't really get all that giddy when a superhero movie comes out.

A lot of black people are hyped over Black Panther, saying it's nice to have a movie showing black characters in a positive light.  If they are looking for such movies, we shouldn't project that on this particular movie because it doesn't tell the story of a black American.  Kind of like "Coming to America", it portrays a foreign kingdom, that is hidden away from the world.  Although when it comes to a positive image of black people on the big screen in and of itself, I don't think that is what black people need specifically.  What we really need is actual money in our pockets, to live a good life.  I don't want to just feel good about myself, I want to actually be good.

I left home a month after my 18th birthday and joined the Navy, busted my ass to learn some new things, and gave up 6 years of my freedom to do so. That was the way I eventually got money and lived a decently good life.

4 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

I left home a month after my 18th birthday and joined the Navy, busted my ass to learn some new things, and gave up 6 years of my freedom to do so. That was the way I eventually got money and lived a decently good life.

Yeah, but your group wasn't systematically shut out.  If all it took was to bust our butts to live a good life, black people in this country have been doing just that for hundreds of years.  We still are in the hole, and it's getting deeper.

"your group" certainly is not shut out of what I did. While I agree totally that you are starting out in most endeavors a step behind me through no fault of your own, the military gives not one hoot about your skin color. The only thing that matters is that the recruiter gets his or her quota.

28 minutes ago, cookinwithgas said:

"your group" certainly is not shut out of what I did. While I agree totally that you are starting out in most endeavors a step behind me through no fault of your own, the military gives not one hoot about your skin color. The only thing that matters is that the recruiter gets his or her quota.

He’s just money hungry man.

Honestly, haven’t seen it yet. But from all the hype I’m hearing sounds like they made it way to political. Covert and overtly. 

Black panther was always my favorite avenger behind Hawkeye. Because neither of them actually have super powers, they are just REALLY REALLY good. 

Looking forward to the movie, just hope they didn’t fug it all up.

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

Yourself included?

I would be included, but the problem is a group thing.  If I were individually poor, that is different.  The problem is almost all black people are poor because of the history.

Just now, Matthias said:

I would be included, but the problem is a group thing.  If I were individually poor, that is different.  The problem is almost all black people are poor because of the history.

No they aren’t. 

Its like cooking with gas said, when you walk in front of a drill Sargent/recruiter. You think they give two shits what your skin color is? They want results.

what result have you done besides talk about it?

People should watch the movie before making ignorant comments in here. I saw it last night and it's definitely one of if not the best Marvel efforts so far. I didn't find it overly political at all. I don't want to spoil anything, but the issue of Wakanda having advanced tech and lots of money while black people across the world struggle is a major theme in the film.

It really is a special film in that it is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I think it is specifically tailored for the black experience in America and probably across the world. The film touches on themes that as a white dude, I can only empathize with but I know hit home with a many in black community. Ryan Coogler and Co. did a fantastic job of making the film that way unapologetically, but its not overbearing or alienating in a way people seem to think it is.

23 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

No they aren’t. 

Its like cooking with gas said, when you walk in front of a drill Sargent/recruiter. You think they give two shits what your skin color is? They want results.

what result have you done besides talk about it?

The military has nothing to do with what I'm talking on.  Of course speaking of the history, black people couldn't benefit from things like the GI Bill back in the day, which is one of the originators of wealth for the middle class today.

Overall, the data says black people have no wealth, and our income also sucks greatly.  All of this is due to the history of black people as a whole being shut out in this country.  We are still shut out today in many cases.

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

The military has nothing to do with what I'm talking on.  Of course speaking of the history, black people couldn't benefit from things like the GI Bill back in the day, which is one of the originators of wealth for the middle class today.

Overall, the data says black people have no wealth, and our income also sucks greatly.  All of this is due to the history of black people as a whole being shut out in this country.  We are still shut out today in many cases.

Again, I ask you what have you done besides talk about it.